• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

PLFSOM (scholarship) vs Long SOM

Dr. Games

Jul 30, 2019
  1. Medical Student
I had been sitting on my acceptance PLFSOM for a few months, but I got accepted to Long SOM off the WL just a few days ago and now I'm quite torn. I'm from the DFW metroplex, and my number 1 was UTSW; I don't bring that up to look down on these 2 schools, I was impressed by both, but just to note that I'm still on the waitlist for UTSW and there's still a hope to land up there. I'm not sure what specialty I want to pursue, but I am leaning towards PM&R or neurology currently, and I want to be able to place at a competitive residency. For the time being here are my pros and cons for both schools:

PLFSOM
Pros:
- Scholarship (15k/year) which equates to roughly 75% of tuition
- Really liked their curriculum style (very clinically oriented)
- Smaller class size, and more opportunities for meaningful leadership and connections with faculty
- Very friendly/supportive vibe (from what I could tell during interviews)
- El Paso area includes a lot of unique learning opportunities, including emphasis on learning Spanish, exposure to patients from the border
- Research included as part of SARP program, so more opportunities
Cons:
- El Paso is about a 10 hour drive from home so will be less connected to family
- Research, while included as part of the SARP program and opportunities are more available, is relatively limited in terms of what you can do
- Medical area/center not as robust as San Antonio's
- Prestige is low (USNews had them between 90-120, and even more importantly the average residency PD rating is at 131/5.1 (2.8/2.3)

Long SOM
Pros:
- Greater prestige (USNews had them at 67, residency PD ranking at 81/6.1, but word of mouth seems that most are able to match competitively)
- South Texas Medical Center is more robust
- Potential for research is greater (more facilities and greater scale)
- Closer to home (only about 4 hours away) so can stay in touch with family more
- Similar curriculum to PLFSOM but slightly accelerated (completes in 1.67 years as opposed to 2)
- Like PLFSOM, Very friendly/supportive vibe (from what I could tell during interviews)
Cons:
- No scholarship so will likely have to take out loans to the tune of roughly 100k (I have saved up 50k during pre-med)
- Larger class size, less opportunities for meaningful leadership/connections with faculty
- While the potential for research is greater, the opportunities may be more limited due to not having it as part of a program (though I'm sure if I'm proactive I'll have some opportunities either way)

There's a lot to love about both of these schools, and I'm really unsure right now which is a better option/fit.

Upvote 0
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.