pls clear my doubt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BENNY4567

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi friends,
I am having doubt regarding retaking of part1 exam. As i have already passed it, I called ada and lady said that if i will submit fees before jan. 2010 then i can still give it again. But 2 weeks before ada member told me that i cannot retake it. please if any body has idea, let me know. i am really worried as couldn't get call from uop/ucsf.
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
You can retake the exam before jan 2010, u can find it in ada website NBDE part 1 candidates guide.

thanks.

hi friends,
I am having doubt regarding retaking of part1 exam. As i have already passed it, I called ada and lady said that if i will submit fees before jan. 2010 then i can still give it again. But 2 weeks before ada member told me that i cannot retake it. please if any body has idea, let me know. i am really worried as couldn't get call from uop/ucsf.
thanx

I had similar doubts and called ada to clear them. this is wat they told me....

yes u can retake the exam in 2010, but it will be the one and only attempt u will be able to take. also for doing that u have to register and get their approval before 31st dec 2009. this means that u can get an approval in 2009 but take the exam in 2010 at ur convenience as the validity for an approval is one year.
but once that exam is done, the scores u get will stay life long. u wont get a chance to repeat it.
hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
this issue has been much discussed in many threads and we still dont have a clear answer.
I guess the surest way is to retake it in 2009 and not depend on what ADA says and contradicts on its site/ over the phone.

Many thanx to all my friends, As said by Crossbite27,I think its right that submitting fees till dec. 2009, we can give and it will be last.
As said by Bombaydentist, pls do advice again, as u said i shouldn't rely on wat ada representatives say, then how should i reconfirm that. As presently i am preparing my part2, then i will have not much time remaiining to prepare for getting higher then my present score 85
thanx again

Many thanx to all my friends, As said by Crossbite, i think its right that submitting fees till dec. 2009, we can give and it will be last.
As said by Bombaydentist, pls do advice again, as u said i shouldn't rely on wat ada representatives say, then how should i reconfirm that.
thanx again

I really donno,
I knew that the NBDE guide says we cant retake it in 2010 if we've passed, so was kinda hoping that ADA will say the same thing on phone and settle the issue.
but obviously, they are not sure themselves.
Again, acc to me, its safest to give the exam in 2009 itself..
or, e-mail ADA about the query and only if they reply in writing that they will allow a retake in 2010 if booked in 2009, then wait for 2010.
that way you have the e-mail as proof of them having said it.
may not serve much, but atleast you'll have written proof and not just a phone conversation.

Thank u Bombaybds for giving ur time and advice.

Hi Guys, I just made the same querry to the ADA and was informed that if you've past the exam prior to 2010 you can still reattempt to improve your score.

Thank u Bombaybds for giving ur time and advice.

Hi Guys, I just made the same querry to the ADA and was informed that if you've past the exam prior to 2010 you can still reattempt to improve your score.

If you paid fee for part1 in Dec 2009,than you have the chance to retake in 2010 even if you pass or fail before 2010. but if you pass in 2010 than you can't retake it...
But my question is that if you can not pass this part 1 in 2010 , can we apply dental school with your old passed part 1 score? or they considered the latest score?

Always the ADA will report only the most recent score.

If you paid fee for part1 in Dec 2009,than you have the chance to retake in 2010 even if you pass or fail before 2010. but if you pass in 2010 than you can't retake it...
But my question is that if you can not pass this part 1 in 2010 , can we apply dental school with your old passed part 1 score? or they considered the latest score?

Apply to schools now with ur current (OLD) part 1 score...then give the part 1 again - If you improve your score, simply send in an updated score report to schools.

I e-mailed ADA yesterday after reading the posts here and was shocked to see that we can re-appear for part 1 if we had passed before 2010..
The same people had told me contrary information prior to Jan 2010... ADA testing cell is amongst the most slow, unreliable, apathetic organising body I have come across...