Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Pls Create New Permanent IMG subthread within IM

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by BlueJayBill, Feb 22, 2007.

1. BlueJayBill

BlueJayBill Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey SDN Moderators!

Would you guys consider perhaps creating a permanent SDN subthread within the IM forum, like Cards, and GI. It seems there are a lot of postings here in these forums that are specific to the IMG experience that are misplaced or not really relevant to the topic of the thread. For example, in the Brigham/MGH/etc thread there is a really nonrevelant posting. I think everyone could be better served if there was a way to better classify such postings. I think plenty of AMGs are willing to dispense advice to IMG questions if there were a separate subthread, and in turn the flow of some threads for AMGs could work much better. Instead, I can prolly see how most viewers/posters are antagonized instead. I intend not to be disrepectful to anyone, but am suggesting this to make the forum here a little more efficient to gather and post information. Also, I think IM is unique in the presence of so many IMGs that it warrants its own forum.

Appreciate any seconds on the proposal,

Bill

2. Waiting4Ganong

Waiting4Ganong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Oh yeah - sign me up for an IMG ghetto. :cool:

Not so much.

3. idiotpathic

idiotpathic New Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    im a mod at a couple of img forums. i agree with u that it wud help. and yes i wudnt mind the ghetto:)

4. jocg27

jocg27 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A little unnecessary.....I guess I may be taking you too seriously, but really, cmon now...If you're not interested don't read it...No one'll make you look at it, unless you make it personal policy to check out every forum on the website daily, including Speech Pathology, Optometry Admission Test Discussion, PCAT Discussion, and Med/Business MD/MBA, Urology, Family Practice, Single Students, etc etc etc...

If you don't want to read the stuff, I'd think you'd be more in favor of giving the topic its own area so it's not all mixed up...which was kind of the point of what he was saying...

I'm not an img getting defensive either, I just didn't get the purpose of that comment...

5. Meat Cookie

10+ Year Member

Please explain how the study and practice of internal medicine (and its subspecialties) are sufficiently different for an IMG that it warrants a separate forum.

6. idiotpathic

idiotpathic New Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    gladly.. h1 vs j1 visas? step 3 passed before december? getting us clinical / research experience and letters of reco? information about img friendly programs?

the trouble is knowing the system and getting into the system. not saying that its more difficult. just that the approach cud b considered a bit different..

also in terms of ranking programs - which happened a bit in the near past - whereas an amg can afford to consider geographic considerations, an img cannot since he is a wildcard and has to strive to get the best name possible on his cv amongst his limited big name options..

just my humble 2c.

7. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think the number of IMG visitors to the IM forums, nor the actual topic itself needs its own subforum. I can put it to the powers that be, but generally we'd go for an atmosphere of inclusiveness rather than segregation. I understand how constantly being asked IMG stuff can be rather annoying to "regular" users, but honestly, IM is full of IMGs and issues so it's good for everything to be displayed together. And one of the above posters is correct - there is no difference between IMG IM issues and US IM issues, besides issues of location and visas. These topics should be addressed to the International forums, which most IMGs peruse anyway.

For IMG specific topics in IM (ie. IMG friendly programs), ONE person can start a thread and then it can be put up as a sticky at the top of the forum to attract IMG members. Regulars who don't want to be part of the discussion can opt not to click on the thread.

8. Meat Cookie

10+ Year Member

How is this specific to IM? The IMG forums already cover these issues. The mod said it: a separate forum would be unnecessarily exclusionary. The whole concept smacks of elitism.

9. Onco

2+ Year Member

My 0.2..
    I wholeheartedly agree with Bill. I get irked when an IMG posts an irrelevant question completely unrelated to the topic being discussed. Most of us know nothing about visas and it would be more helpful to the IMGs to discuss their relevant issues in a subforum that specifically caters to their issues.

PS- I cant decide or opine on their ROL's either :)

10. Xenopus

Xenopus New Member

I was not aware that IMGs had the exclusive privilige of posting qs unrelated to the topic or maybe I know...gotcha.... just getting you irked????

Am I sensing some arrogance here?

YES, I am an IMG. :eek:

PS: In fairness to the many who have shown their support, understanding and tolerance with IMGs, my sincere kudos to them.

11. wonderwall

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think an IM forum for IMGs is useless..if an AMG don't like IMG-style questions he/she can just avoid answering.

12. Fosamax

I think this is a good idea. No one is saying that IMGs can not post in the general forum, it just they have an option to discuss specific IMG issues in their own subforum -- this can result in an efficient sort. I don't think the OP was suggesting a ghetto or forcing IMGs into a subforum. And I agree with the OP, IM is far different than the other specialties in medicine in both number of IMGs and particularilities from residency app to fellowship apps. IMGs arent going in to radonc, ortho, neurosurg, etc.

This isn't elitism, but if I want to see IMG specific issues I won't have to look among the 30 new threads. Likewise if I were an AMG, I can chose to see those specific issues.

13. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    as I said before - IMG issues including visa information can be found in the International Medical forums. They don't have to take space in the form of an IM subforum, as once people reach IM residency, there is no difference in issues arising in IM.

14. REGGAE

REGGAE Jah Rastafari
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Throw the IMGs down the well...
    So my forum can be free...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...