BlueJayBill

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
Status (Visible)
Hey SDN Moderators!

Would you guys consider perhaps creating a permanent SDN subthread within the IM forum, like Cards, and GI. It seems there are a lot of postings here in these forums that are specific to the IMG experience that are misplaced or not really relevant to the topic of the thread. For example, in the Brigham/MGH/etc thread there is a really nonrevelant posting. I think everyone could be better served if there was a way to better classify such postings. I think plenty of AMGs are willing to dispense advice to IMG questions if there were a separate subthread, and in turn the flow of some threads for AMGs could work much better. Instead, I can prolly see how most viewers/posters are antagonized instead. I intend not to be disrepectful to anyone, but am suggesting this to make the forum here a little more efficient to gather and post information. Also, I think IM is unique in the presence of so many IMGs that it warrants its own forum.

Appreciate any seconds on the proposal,

Bill

idiotpathic

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
im a mod at a couple of img forums. i agree with u that it wud help. and yes i wudnt mind the ghetto:)

About the Ads

jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Oh yeah - sign me up for an IMG ghetto. :cool:

Not so much.

A little unnecessary.....I guess I may be taking you too seriously, but really, cmon now...If you're not interested don't read it...No one'll make you look at it, unless you make it personal policy to check out every forum on the website daily, including Speech Pathology, Optometry Admission Test Discussion, PCAT Discussion, and Med/Business MD/MBA, Urology, Family Practice, Single Students, etc etc etc...

If you don't want to read the stuff, I'd think you'd be more in favor of giving the topic its own area so it's not all mixed up...which was kind of the point of what he was saying...

I'm not an img getting defensive either, I just didn't get the purpose of that comment...

Meat Cookie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2003
Please explain how the study and practice of internal medicine (and its subspecialties) are sufficiently different for an IMG that it warrants a separate forum.

idiotpathic

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
gladly.. h1 vs j1 visas? step 3 passed before december? getting us clinical / research experience and letters of reco? information about img friendly programs?

the trouble is knowing the system and getting into the system. not saying that its more difficult. just that the approach cud b considered a bit different..

also in terms of ranking programs - which happened a bit in the near past - whereas an amg can afford to consider geographic considerations, an img cannot since he is a wildcard and has to strive to get the best name possible on his cv amongst his limited big name options..

just my humble 2c.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
messymedic.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't think the number of IMG visitors to the IM forums, nor the actual topic itself needs its own subforum. I can put it to the powers that be, but generally we'd go for an atmosphere of inclusiveness rather than segregation. I understand how constantly being asked IMG stuff can be rather annoying to "regular" users, but honestly, IM is full of IMGs and issues so it's good for everything to be displayed together. And one of the above posters is correct - there is no difference between IMG IM issues and US IM issues, besides issues of location and visas. These topics should be addressed to the International forums, which most IMGs peruse anyway.

For IMG specific topics in IM (ie. IMG friendly programs), ONE person can start a thread and then it can be put up as a sticky at the top of the forum to attract IMG members. Regulars who don't want to be part of the discussion can opt not to click on the thread.

Meat Cookie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2003
gladly.. h1 vs j1 visas? step 3 passed before december? getting us clinical / research experience and letters of reco? information about img friendly programs?

the trouble is knowing the system and getting into the system. not saying that its more difficult. just that the approach cud b considered a bit different..

also in terms of ranking programs - which happened a bit in the near past - whereas an amg can afford to consider geographic considerations, an img cannot since he is a wildcard and has to strive to get the best name possible on his cv amongst his limited big name options..

just my humble 2c.

How is this specific to IM? The IMG forums already cover these issues. The mod said it: a separate forum would be unnecessarily exclusionary. The whole concept smacks of elitism.

Onco

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
My 0.2..
I wholeheartedly agree with Bill. I get irked when an IMG posts an irrelevant question completely unrelated to the topic being discussed. Most of us know nothing about visas and it would be more helpful to the IMGs to discuss their relevant issues in a subforum that specifically caters to their issues.

PS- I cant decide or opine on their ROL's either :)

Xenopus

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
My 0.2..

I wholeheartedly agree with Bill. I get irked when an IMG posts an irrelevant question completely unrelated to the topic being discussed. :)

I was not aware that IMGs had the exclusive privilige of posting qs unrelated to the topic or maybe I know...gotcha.... just getting you irked????

My 0.2..

PS- I cant decide or opine on their ROL's either :)

Am I sensing some arrogance here?

YES, I am an IMG. :eek:

PS: In fairness to the many who have shown their support, understanding and tolerance with IMGs, my sincere kudos to them.

wonderwall

10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think an IM forum for IMGs is useless..if an AMG don't like IMG-style questions he/she can just avoid answering.

Fosamax

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
I think this is a good idea. No one is saying that IMGs can not post in the general forum, it just they have an option to discuss specific IMG issues in their own subforum -- this can result in an efficient sort. I don't think the OP was suggesting a ghetto or forcing IMGs into a subforum. And I agree with the OP, IM is far different than the other specialties in medicine in both number of IMGs and particularilities from residency app to fellowship apps. IMGs arent going in to radonc, ortho, neurosurg, etc.

This isn't elitism, but if I want to see IMG specific issues I won't have to look among the 30 new threads. Likewise if I were an AMG, I can chose to see those specific issues.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
messymedic.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
as I said before - IMG issues including visa information can be found in the International Medical forums. They don't have to take space in the form of an IM subforum, as once people reach IM residency, there is no difference in issues arising in IM.

REGGAE

Jah Rastafari
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Throw the IMGs down the well...
So my forum can be free...

Hey SDN Moderators!

Would you guys consider perhaps creating a permanent SDN subthread within the IM forum, like Cards, and GI. It seems there are a lot of postings here in these forums that are specific to the IMG experience that are misplaced or not really relevant to the topic of the thread. For example, in the Brigham/MGH/etc thread there is a really nonrevelant posting. I think everyone could be better served if there was a way to better classify such postings. I think plenty of AMGs are willing to dispense advice to IMG questions if there were a separate subthread, and in turn the flow of some threads for AMGs could work much better. Instead, I can prolly see how most viewers/posters are antagonized instead. I intend not to be disrepectful to anyone, but am suggesting this to make the forum here a little more efficient to gather and post information. Also, I think IM is unique in the presence of so many IMGs that it warrants its own forum.

Appreciate any seconds on the proposal,

Bill

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.