Pls help... (vote and why) DMU vs UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMDNJ vs DMU

• DMU

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • UMDNJ

Votes: 26 55.3%

• Total voters

stephsteph

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in love with both. Wish UMDNJ would try to "sell" me more of their school by giving us more leaborate tours and meeting the dean etc... so that i could see/compare the faculty/student interaction.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to UMD-NJ. It is cheaper, a state school, has more residencies associated with the school, and a smaller class size.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously they're both great schools, as given by the poll above, but if I were to pick betweeen the two, I would chose UMDNJ. It's a state school and state schools tend to have the edge when it comes to rotating through teaching hospitals and having affiliated residencies. Plus, I think you would be exposed to a greater variety of cases in the "lovely" state on New Jersey than you would in Iowa, but thats just my opinion, having lived in both areas. Yeah...NJ isn't that great and Des Moines is a very nice city, comparitivly speaking, but I think that UMDNJ being a public insitution, is the better choice. Also, you have a lot more resources available since UMDNJ is a pretty big system, so if you wanted to do research, you are affiliated with their system as well as within a close distance of some of the greatest med schools in the country in both Phili and NYC. Also, tuition is a little cheaper at UMDNJ, but not by much since NJ has cut funding repeatedly when it comes to subsidizing tuition...but regardless, I think it still has the edge.

But after all of that...the decision is yours to make and only yours...so you need to ask yourself, "which is the best fit for me?"

If you ever want to visit the school again, feel free to contact me. I'll show you my schedule and you can come along to any lectures or lab.

Cheers.

really? CAn you email me or give me your email so that I can do that., which most probably mean i'm going to your school if i make the trip there.. heheh

my email is [email protected]

Obviously they're both great schools, as given by the poll above, but if I were to pick betweeen the two, I would chose UMDNJ. It's a state school and state schools tend to have the edge when it comes to rotating through teaching hospitals and having affiliated residencies. Plus, I think you would be exposed to a greater variety of cases in the "lovely" state on New Jersey than you would in Iowa, but thats just my opinion, having lived in both areas. Yeah...NJ isn't that great and Des Moines is a very nice city, comparitivly speaking, but I think that UMDNJ being a public insitution, is the better choice. Also, you have a lot more resources available since UMDNJ is a pretty big system, so if you wanted to do research, you are affiliated with their system as well as within a close distance of some of the greatest med schools in the country in both Phili and NYC. Also, tuition is a little cheaper at UMDNJ, but not by much since NJ has cut funding repeatedly when it comes to subsidizing tuition...but regardless, I think it still has the edge.

But after all of that...the decision is yours to make and only yours...so you need to ask yourself, "which is the best fit for me?"

Really? YOu lived in both areas.
See the thing is I'm planning to move back to CA for residency. ANd is there anyone out there who has SEEN and BEEN to BOTH schools? I have to say DMU tech is soo cool and the "family" environment there is very supportive. Plus they really are supportive in you having any specialty and pushing you to GO BACK to your home place for 4th yr so that you get connections for your desired residency. Plus their COMLEZ first time takers scores are out there for you to see and it's GREAT!!

For other things that you have mentioned.. i love UMDNJ and have no doubt that I will be trained well. Moreover, the small class size is a huge plus. I'm not sure about the COMLEX raw scores for first time takers, no body seem to have that for me. I'm not sure, aren't they pro-to making you remain in NJ and serve the NJ after residencies? Do they have rotation elsewhere and if not, how difficult is it to return to CA?

really? CAn you email me or give me your email so that I can do that., which most probably mean i'm going to your school if i make the trip there.. heheh

my email is [email protected]

this reminds me of something......................

tumblr_l9l8rgLTLw1qzsw0t.jpg