Plusses of being non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am non-trad. 46. Went to a Caribbean school. Graduated in 2006. Owned my own business for about 16 years previously. Married 18 years, 4 children. Undergrad degree was in nutrition, with minor in chem - GPA 3.58, from United States University.

This year I applied to 50 some FP programs, and 10 IM programs. Received 13 FP invites and one IM invitation to interview for residency. I have had 2 prematch offers. In interviewing, I realized there are alot of benefits to being a non-trad. I am going to begin listing some:

1) Life experience has humbled us as well as built a solid confidence. When I went to my 10 year high school reunion, many of us were finally making good money and felt very successful. Lots of posing and showing off- myself and many others wanted to let others know we were making it. By the 20th high school reunion everyone had experienced enough successes and losses for the most part that everyone was relaxed, I never felt anyone was trying to prove anything. Conversation was not about business or successes, but reminiscences and enjoying each other. Few were still so insecure as to try and show off.

Likewise, many non-trads have had enough life experiences that they can be humble enough to really listen to a patient, not have to prove : "I'm a doctor, dammit". Plus we have enough confidence in who we are that a nurse talking bad to us does not shake us as much, we don't feel a need to retaliate to show them whose boss like 20 somes whose only other jobs were at Burger King. I have to admit I am surprised when I read a post by a recent grad, going into residency who says they have been living at home with mom and dad. I dunno, when I was a young adult it just was expected that everyone leaves home at 18 regardless, unless you are handicapped in some way.

2) We have had enough life experience to understand a wide range of people. We understand financial, family, relationship, social, health, work struggles much better than someone to whom residency is the first real job they have had. Some of us may have health problems now of our own, or watched a parent or family member suffer or die with some disease.

3) One residency director told me that my age, is not a drawback at all. He said he has a constant problem with the 20 somethings because they do not have the attitude of "If I am not early I am late, and I always want to try and do a little more than is asked of me". He said he feels people my age were raised that way. He says his younger residents do not seem to think much of being just on time, or even a few minutes late. I have to admit, I almost freak if I am not early to anything I have to do.

Non-trads are often seen by PD's as already developing a work ethic and a sense of responsibility.

4) Older residents are usually automatically seen as being a "doctor" by patients just due to the age. I have heard younger residents dismay at being treated like a tech or nurse, being asked by patients to run and fetch them some coffee from the cafeteria for example by patients....literally, run and fetch them coffee.

There are more, but being a non-trad certainly does not have to be a disadvantage in the whole process.

Members don't see this ad.

Great story - so what are you doing? I agree - being a nontrad has allowed me to pop free of the pre-med bubble and experience the real world. However, I think I am the 'perfect non-trad age' (26 when I start med school) because I've been a software engineer for five years and been out in the real world finishing my degree part time, but I am still young enough to fit in with the early twenty crowd and have a long career.

So, what are you doing - IM or FP?

Thanks, Doowai! Your words are very encouraging. Continued good luck to you and yours!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed 100%

Best wishes matching!

I cancelled my IM interview because Fp is what I want to do.

In a decade roughly when all of my children are out of the house I want to be a cruise boat doctor. They only take FP and EM.

I want to do some urgent care moonlighting while setting up my own practice after residency, and I feel FP is best for that (IM does not have any Pedes - alot of urgent care is pedes, as well OB could be an issue). Procedures pay the best and so I want to be able to do alot of procedures : vasectomies, some derm, cardiac stress testing etc. SO one thing I looked for in choosing programs was do they teach alot of procedures. Plus procedures break up the monotony - see a few patients for the typical sleep problems, constipation, cold/flu; but then shave a skin lesion or do an anoscopy or inject some steroids into a cystic acne lesion.

Yeah, 26 may be the ideal non-trad. I do think residency (and med school) would be easier without a family. I did med school while changing diapers, helping with childrens homework, etc. As well I missed lots of happy hours.

5) I think it is less common for non-trads to be seeking power or status by becoming a doctor. I think it is more common for non-trads to feel a desire to be of service in a deeper way. I think it is more common for younger traditional students to think a MD sounds "really cool" because of the perceived power and prestige that they expect to come with the degree.

6) Non-trads tend to enjoy residency and medical school more because of a better sense of time management. They feel less harried by busy schedules, plus have better capabilities to milk the most out of their limited time. Especially non-trad women who have already had children and worked.

I believe non-trads have more realistic expectations of being a doctor. I am dismayed and surprised when I read so many bitter posts by people who hate what they have done to themselves. I think a non-trad has already thought things through a bit more and are less likely to have unrealistic expectations including but not limited to :
1) I am a medical doctor, why doesn't the Red Sea part when I ask it to?
2) I am a medical doctor, I had 15 minutes of downtime today and none of the nurses asked me for sex....what is up with that?
3) I am a medical doctor, why don't people just give me money?
4) I am a medical doctor, how dare people bother me with so many questions - my time is important?
5) I am a medical doctor, why don't lights at intersections turn green when I approach? Sometimes the light is red and I have to sit there - don't lights at intersections have proper respect for medical doctors?
6) I was driving drunk and got pulled over by the cops. They cited me for drunk driving - I told them I was a medical doctor - but they still cited me. How dare they?

1) I am a medical doctor, why doesn't the Red Sea part when I ask it to?
2) I am a medical doctor, I had 15 minutes of downtime today and none of the nurses asked me for sex....what is up with that?
3) I am a medical doctor, why don't people just give me money?
4) I am a medical doctor, how dare people bother me with so many questions - my time is important?
5) I am a medical doctor, why don't lights at intersections turn green when I approach? Sometimes the light is red and I have to sit there - don't lights at intersections have proper respect for medical doctors?
6) I was driving drunk and got pulled over by the cops. They cited me for drunk driving - I told them I was a medical doctor - but they still cited me. How dare they?

hahahaha. :laugh: :laugh:
This should be put on a t-shirt or something.

Cool story OP!

I guess the best thing about being a non-trad is that you have a greater sense of why you want to be a doc rather than just shipping yourself off to med school after UG. My work ethic has surely changed (as a result of my not so great grades) but dammit its going to make me one passionate doc. =)