plz someone explain this answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amrita1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a practitioner administers 90:10 nitrous oxide oxygen mixture to a patient,causing respiratory depression.which of the following conditions is most likely to result
a)metaboli acidosis
b)respiratory acidosis
c)metabolic alkalosis
d)respiratory alkalosis

answer is respiratory acidosis.........i need explanation??????????

Members don't see this ad.

Which of the following best applies to saliva?
1. Phosphate is the main pH buffer.
2. supplies sialiates to mucin.
3. supplies Ca and P for remineralisation.
4. undersaturated with respect to hydroxyappatite at neutral pH.

A mouth rinse contains 0.05%F. Which of the following represents the concentration expressed in ppm?
1. 5
2. 50
3. 500
4. 5000

hi the ans for saliva is .....c it provides ca and p for remineralisation
and the ans for 1st ? is respiratory acidosis becoz the PH pf the O2 is reduced as PH of the nitogen increased so decrease ph of o2 causes acidosis ,
increase in oh of o2 causes respiratory alkalosis.
increase in ph of biocarbonate causes metabolic alkalosis and decrease in ph of biocarbonate causes metabolic acidosis

Members don't see this ad :)
hi amrita:
i am looking for a partner to study as i just came to the us. i would be grateful if you would be willing to help me little bit in terms of how to get started preparing for the NBDE-1 exam. i live in new jersey and my email is [email protected]
thanx

A mouth rinse contains 0.05%F. Which of the following represents the concentration expressed in ppm?
1. 5
2. 50
3. 500
4. 5000

Ppm (parts per million) to % (parts per hundred)
Example:
1 ppm = 1/1,000,000 = 0.000001 = 0.0001%
10 ppm = 10/1,000,000 = 0.00001 = 0.001%
100 ppm = 100/1,000,000 = 0.0001 = 0.01%
200 ppm = 200/1,000,000 = 0.0002 = 0.02%
5000 ppm = 5000/1,000,000 = 0.005 = 0.5%
10,000 ppm = 10000/1,000,000 = 0.01 = 1.0%
20,000 ppm = 20000/1,000,000 = 0.02 = 2.0%

(Parts per hundred) % to ppm
0.05% = 0.0005
0.0005 x 1,000,000 = 500 ppm

ANS:C

a practitioner administers 90:10 nitrous oxide oxygen mixture to a patient,causing respiratory depression.which of the following conditions is most likely to result
a)metaboli acidosis
b)respiratory acidosis
c)metabolic alkalosis
d)respiratory alkalosis

plz somebody explain this

great! a comprehensive explanation :thumbup:.
1. 5
2. 50
3. 500
4. 5000

Ppm (parts per million) to % (parts per hundred)
Example:
1 ppm = 1/1,000,000 = 0.000001 = 0.0001%
10 ppm = 10/1,000,000 = 0.00001 = 0.001%
100 ppm = 100/1,000,000 = 0.0001 = 0.01%
200 ppm = 200/1,000,000 = 0.0002 = 0.02%
5000 ppm = 5000/1,000,000 = 0.005 = 0.5%
10,000 ppm = 10000/1,000,000 = 0.01 = 1.0%
20,000 ppm = 20000/1,000,000 = 0.02 = 2.0%

(Parts per hundred) % to ppm
0.05% = 0.0005
0.0005 x 1,000,000 = 500 ppm

ANS:C

1. What happens when spinal cord sectioned at T2?
2.Where is Sanger method of cloning used?
3.Primary function of lysosomes in steroid producing cells?
a.digest cellular debris
b.hydrolyse spent cellular organelles
c. remove excess steroid from cells
d.remove steroid precursors
e. cleave the ester from cholestrol ester to produce free cholestrol

HI!

Sanger method of cloning also called Automated Sanger Method is used in Genetics for cloning a gene of a disease.
The sequencing of a gene is done in small fragments thereby cloning a long gene.this is a process of "chromosome walking".It is to be differentiated from Primer Walking.
"Primer Walking" is used where the main aim is to sequence the genome whereas Chromose Walking is used when we know the sequence but don't have a clone of a gene.

hope this helps!

Hey!

for the question on Lysosomes,

1) lysosomes in the protein and polypeptide hormone secreting cells play a role in the regulation of secretion process by means of the crinophagy.
(Crinophagy is the digestion of the contents of secretory granules following their fusion with lysosomes)

2) lysosomes in the steroid hormone secreting cells function in the regulation of hormone secretion but by means of autophagy which scavenge a part of steroid-producing apparatus and hormone.

The autophagy might have similar effect in regulation of steroid secretion to the crinophagy in regulation of protein secretion.

So hope u guessed the answer now!

did tis help!

frankly,i have just learnt it myself!

Sectioning at T2 level would cause Respiratory Dysfunction.

With high thoracic cord injuries (ie, T2 through T4),there is Respiratory Dysfunction with vital capacity being 30-50% of normal and weak cough.
With lower cord injuries, respiratory function improves.
With injuries at T11, respiratory dysfunction is minimal.
Vital capacity is essentially normal, and cough is strong.

all this because the thoracic nerves supply the intercostal muscles,lungs n associated structuresof the dermatome.

atlast im done!

these were pretty tough questions.
where did u come across them!

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok the best way to tackle this one is the following. You know if you hyperventilate you will be blowing off lots of CO2. If you recall lachatlier's principle and apply it to the follwing bicarbonate buffer system equation
CO2 + H2O --> H2CO3--> HCO3 + H. If CO2 is removed the system will move to the left and thus Hydrogen (H) will decrease. This will give you ALKALOSIS. So remember hyperventilation = ALKALOSIS. The reverse, caused by respiratory depression is ACIDOSIS. :) And you know its respiratory because they tell you. If they mentioned kidney problems you should be thinking metabolic

thank u so much

u doing DA..have u solved 1981 paper..we can discuss?

yes i have done all of them. kaplan suggests taking 5-7 off and that should give you the calcification years but i dont agree with that rule because it just doesnt work that way. i guess i am just gonna write them out and simply memorize them.,

a)metaboli acidosis
b)respiratory acidosis
c)metabolic alkalosis
d)respiratory alkalosis

I think the hint here is respiratory depression i.e hypoventilation which is one of the causes for respiratory acidisis.the other causes for respiratory acidosis
1.Emphysema
2.chronic bronchitis
3.severe pneumonia
4.pulmonary edema
5.asthma

correct me if iam wrong

i saw this on crack the nbde and am confused so please help if you can

in a class III malocclusion, the MB of 19 articulates with:

embrasure between 14 and 13. thats the answer but that makes no sense because shouldnt the mand be more protruded than that?

i saw this on crack the nbde and am confused so please help if you can

in a class III malocclusion, the MB of 19 articulates with:

embrasure between 14 and 13. thats the answer but that makes no sense because shouldnt the mand be more protruded than that?
I agree with you. I'm just visualizing this quickly in my head, but what you're describing sounds like a normal class I occlusion.

my lil fence drawing shows a normal class I too. it has to be a mistake like many other questions on that expensive software. thank you for the confirmation Bill.

muscle glycogen phosphorylase is activated by?
a. epi
b. glucagon
c. insulin

answer is epi only
i thought it should be epi and glucagon

please explain

muscle glycogen phosphorylase is activated by?
a. epi
b. glucagon
c. insulin

answer is epi only
i thought it should be epi and glucagon

please explain

i think the answer provided is correct. its a trick question. its true that both epi and glucagon will increase glucose levels. however, glucagon act on the liver to break down glycogen to glucose until glycogen runs out. when that happens, glucagon will initiate gluconeogenesis. bottom line, glucagon works on the hepatocytes (the liver) and not on the muscle.

epi stimulates the muscle glycogen breakdown.

hope these tricky ones dont show up for me tomorrow. :eek: