PM&R and overseas medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globallmedicine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any docs out there with a PM&R background involved in overseas medicine or in public health in any capacity?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the past, it was my impression that rotations done out of the country (remarkably, including Canada) were not able to be counted as part of your formal residency training. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

In the past, it was my impression that rotations done out of the country (remarkably, including Canada) were not able to be counted as part of your formal residency training. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I believe the ABPMR has softened its stance on this one. If the elective rotation falls under accepted PM&R curriculum, and the home institution (program director and institution GME) approves it, then the ABPMR will deem it kosher.

Can't overdo it though. According to the ACGME, under Duration/Scope of Education:

“Four years of graduate medical education are necessary to complete training for a physician seeking specialization in this field, three years of which must be physical medicine and rehabilitation training. Of these three years no more than six months can be elective. No more than one month of this elective time may be taken in a non-ACGME accredited program, unless prior approval is given by the RRC.”

I would think that this statement applies to international rotations.

I believe the ABPMR has softened its stance on this one. If the elective rotation falls under accepted PM&R curriculum, and the home institution (program director and institution GME) approves it, then the ABPMR will deem it kosher.

Can't overdo it though. According to the ACGME, under Duration/Scope of Education:

“Four years of graduate medical education are necessary to complete training for a physician seeking specialization in this field, three years of which must be physical medicine and rehabilitation training. Of these three years no more than six months can be elective. No more than one month of this elective time may be taken in a non-ACGME accredited program, unless prior approval is given by the RRC.”

I would think that this statement applies to international rotations.

the statement wouldn't preclude any Canadian rotations - b/c we're all ACGME approved (at least to the best of my knowledge)

the statement wouldn't preclude any Canadian rotations - b/c we're all ACGME approved (at least to the best of my knowledge)

Technically – I believe you are RCPSC (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) accredited. But practically yes - the ABPMR considers RCPSC equivalent to ACGME accreditation.

Thanks for the clarification.

Andrew Haig at UMich does a lot of international PM&R stuff

Yes. He and several our of faculty goto Ghana every year to establish a rehabiltiation facility/program as well.