Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

PM&R practice in Rural areas

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by bigfrank, Nov 15, 2002.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

Knowing that PM&R is a very small and young specialty, it is logical to assume (correctly) that the vase majority of physiatrists are in large cities.

Does anyone know what size of community will support a PM&R doc? I don't want to return to a large city.

Are job opportunities in small(er) areas out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank C.
    [email protected]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

The figure I've heard thrown around is a population between 50,000 to 75,000 to support a physiatrist. I'd imagine in a smaller community a physiatrist might be doing more geriatric medicine per se and consulting with nursing homes. There is always occupational medicine aspect too. To be honest, I really don't know...

4. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know that there are 'Pain Management' clinics in rural areas of 30-50K people. Sometimes they have anesthesiologists, psychologists, chiropractors, (you name it!), under the direction of a physiatrist. It's definitely a different out-patient world in rural areas.