PM&R Summer programs for M1 students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehamil10

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if there are any research programs or summer programs that are available for first year medical students to attend ( pain management and nerve damage are my current interest) .

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice last year about RIC. I attended the summer program and it was an excellent experience. :) THanks and Merry Christmas!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of any other summer opportunities? Is the NYU program still running?

I looked into it, and if I'm not mistaken, the NYU one was only open to NYU students (I dont know why they advertise then). I think I remember hearing of one at UConn? Don't quote me on any of this...I tried looking it up again and couldn't find the info on the internships yet.

Heard of any other ones?
I did the one at the University of Cincinnati. It was a great experience. Highly recommended for anyone interested in Peds Rehab.

I think there used to be one at Indiana University.

As of last summer, the only true externships around that accepted students from other schools were RIC and Cinci (to the best of my knowledge). I had some communication w/ the Indiana program, but I got the feeling that its more of an informal program and they seem to usually take Indiana students.

To any students looking for PM&R experience b/w M1-M2:
In addition to the above 2 programs, I would highly rec. contacting a local PM&R residency to see if it would be possible to get involved w/ a research project and/or some shadowing in several different areas of PM&R. I really stress the importance of several different areas, as most students don't realize how broad the opportunities are in the field.

I second that. Both the Rehab hospital affiliated with my school and Hopkins were receptive to my requests to shadow and also helped me out with finding research and funding as well. Every physiatrist I have interacted with has been eager to show me what the field is all about and has been extremely helpful.