PMR Residency: Chances and Future Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hash Slinging Slasher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm planning on applying to PMR but I just got my Step 2 CK score back at 225 and now I'm doubting if I'm still competitive for the field given that the average applicant has a 10-15 pt lead on me. I decided late on PMR, so I don't have any away rotations scheduled. Lastly, I will also be couple's matching with partner who's doing family medicine.

My stats:
  • Med School: Allopathic, middle-tier, state school in Southeast US with no PMR residency
  • Step 1: 224
  • Step 2: 225
  • Clinical Grades: Honors (Internal Medicine), High-Pass (Family, Peds, Neuro, Surgery), Pass (OB/GYN)
  • Preclinical Grades: First year was P/F with all P's. Second year had a D, several C's, and finally a B. I remediated the module with a D (immunology) up to a B
  • Research: One poster presentation on opioid addiction
  • Current GPA: 2.84 (bottom quintile in class)
  • LORs: One IM and two PMR
At this point:
  • What shape am I in going forward?
  • What should I be most concerned given my stat listing? And how bad is my barely improved Step 2 CK?
  • What would be the best application strategy (number of programs applied to, geography, etc) given my stats and couple's matching status?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know what average stats are for PM&R are anymore, but your scores sound fine to me. The remediation may hurt you a bit, but good step scores/clerkships scores/LORs help minimize that.

I would apply very broadly, especially since you’re couples matching. There are only so many PM&R programs out there, and if your goal is to be near your spouse that is likely to be quite tough-fortunately there are generally a number of FM programs near any given PM&R program, so if you spouse/SO applies broadly that will help.

I don’t know what average stats are for PM&R are anymore, but your scores sound fine to me. The remediation may hurt you a bit, but good step scores/clerkships scores/LORs help minimize that.

I would apply very broadly, especially since you’re couples matching. There are only so many PM&R programs out there, and if your goal is to be near your spouse that is likely to be quite tough-fortunately there are generally a number of FM programs near any given PM&R program, so if you spouse/SO applies broadly that will help.
Thank you! I'm really concerned about my Step 2 CK exam being a 225. How big of a red-flag would that be considering my Step 1 was a 224?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I'm really concerned about my Step 2 CK exam being a 225. How big of a red-flag would that be considering my Step 1 was a 224?
I dont think thats a red flag in PM&R , the only thing is the remediation which you have bounced back from by passing everything else

225 is the national mean for matched applicants to PM&R.

You guys are all seriously awesome. I'll be applying broadly and especially in the South East then. Thanks!

Hey all, I'm planning on applying to PMR but I just got my Step 2 CK score back at 225 and now I'm doubting if I'm still competitive for the field given that the average applicant has a 10-15 pt lead on me. I decided late on PMR, so I don't have any away rotations scheduled. Lastly, I will also be couple's matching with partner who's doing family medicine.

My stats:
  • Med School: Allopathic, middle-tier, state school in Southeast US with no PMR residency
  • Step 1: 224
  • Step 2: 225
  • Clinical Grades: Honors (Internal Medicine), High-Pass (Family, Peds, Neuro, Surgery), Pass (OB/GYN)
  • Preclinical Grades: First year was P/F with all P's. Second year had a D, several C's, and finally a B. I remediated the module with a D (immunology) up to a B
  • Research: One poster presentation on opioid addiction
  • Current GPA: 2.84 (bottom quintile in class)
  • LORs: One IM and two PMR
At this point:
  • What shape am I in going forward?
  • What should I be most concerned given my stat listing? And how bad is my barely improved Step 2 CK?
  • What would be the best application strategy (number of programs applied to, geography, etc) given my stats and couple's matching status?

I know people with far lower scores who matched to UCLA and UMiami just this past year.