Medical PMR Residency Choice - Prestige vs. Geography vs. LGBT-friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I'm a fourth year currently applying to PM&R. I've interviewed all over the country, but am originally from the midwest. My top program and rank list changes based on the day (and my mood) since I am having trouble figuring out what is most important to me in a program. I know that of all the places I've interviewed, they'd each give me the tools I need to become a great physiatrist. Programs I've interviewed at are: University of Michigan, Emory, Mayo, Spaulding, Ohio State, University of Colorado, University of Utah, Baylor (Dallas), and University of Missouri. Upcoming interviews include Stanford and Northwestern (Shirley Ryan Ability Lab). I struggle between choosing the program based on the program in and of itself, or choosing the program based partially on the program and largely on how much I like the city it is located in. I'd like to explore a different part of the country for residency, which is why the University of Missouri is currently last on my list, but all other places are fair game.

My rank list can change drastically one day to the next, which is why I'm seeking some advice. My top four (in no particular order, and with discussion) are as follows.

Mayo Clinic. This is my favorite program as far as the program itself goes since I eventually want an outpatient-focused career, and Mayo has the strongest musculoskeletal curriculum of any program I've seen. The research opportunities there are unbeatable too, and have research opportunities available in regenerative medicine, which I'm particularly interested in. I personally hate the cold, but would possibly be able to suck it up for the sake of the program. My biggest concern is that since I am a member of the LGBT community, I would possibly feel like an outsider in a town like Rochester. Ideally, I would like to get out of the midwest to a more progressive area of the country, but staying in the midwest in general isn't a deal breaker. Between the cold and the more conservative area that Mayo is located in, I can't decide if the program itself is worth living in Rochester.

University of Colorado. Denver is my favorite location by far of all the cities I've interviewed in, but the University of Colorado isn't quite as strong of a program as some of the other places I'm considering. Although CU does have a strong program and would still give me the tools to get wherever I want to go with my career, I might not have the same opportunities that places like Mayo or Harvard would give me.

Spaulding/Harvard is another top contender. I clicked with the faculty here more than any of the other places I've interviewed, the facilities are beautiful (the most beautiful of anyplace I've seen), the curriculum is top notch, the residents seem happy, ample research opportunities, and I feel like I'd be able to write my ticket for whatever career path I choose to take after residency....but the cost of living in Boston is astronomical and the commutes are very long each day with rotation sites being rather spread out. I know that residents said on average their commute was 45 minutes. This is an LGBT friendly town though, and I loved the program, I just can't decide if the stress of long commutes and living a frugal existence in a studio apartment would make me as happy as I could be if I were someplace like Denver or Columbus.

Emory. This program has unbeatable hands-on training (probably the best of anyplace I've interviewed), but I've heard the word "malignant" thrown around by some people online in regards to their program, although I don't know how to interpret that. I thought the residents seemed happy and very confident, but it did seem like their call schedule was the most intense of most PM&R programs (particularly as a PGY-2). Atlanta seems like a neat city to live in, and I love the warm weather, I just don't know if being in the south would be the right move for someone who is gay. Although Atlanta itself seems like it would be okay in that regards.

Any advice? When in this situation, should I choose location over prestige? Or should I suck up the geographic challenge and just pick a prestigious place (Harvard or Mayo) with the mindset that it will set up my career for whatever path I could possibly want to take? Do you think living in Rochester would actually be as bad as I'm imagining? I know these are tough questions, but I'd love to hear more opinions on this matter.

Everything, and I mean everything, is going to come down to personal preference. Although I am not a physiatrist myself, you are right to believe that your choice of program will affect your future career prospects, but if you choose an academic program and are an excellent resident, there is no reason to believe you could not get a job in any location as an attending or a fellowship in most places (barring the most competitive locations and programs in your field, which will always be a toss up no matter how competitive you are).

Answering, however, as a gay male health care provider, I cannot emphasize how important it is to me, though this may not be of as much importance to you, to have a readily available community of LGBT individuals around to create a sense of community. I am currently a third year resident at a very LGBT friendly program in a medium-sized city with a small- to medium-sized LGBT community, and one of my personal regrets is not being in a place with more LGBT visibility as even within my program there are VERY occasionally WTF moments (and I'm certain you've experienced some of these in your life and not your career) that might not have happened in a geographic area with more LGBT visibility.

My other piece of advice is to consider the things outside of residency (location, attractions nearby, supportive friends and family members nearby, etc.) with a similar weight to the program itself. These are the things that may help keep you sane in times of extreme stress, which can be plentiful in residency programs.

All of the programs on your list will, I assume, turn you into a physiatrist, but I imagine have different cultures that I can not speak to as a non-physiatrist, and I ultimately can't remake your match list. What I will say, though, is that I would suggest having your match list done by early February, certifying it, and then not logging into the website at all after that. This will prevent you from making last minute decisions and potentially un-certifying your list.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.