PNWU/ Heritage University Masters in Medical Arts 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveanhope22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I did not see an updated thread for this year. I am really interested in this program. I am a little worried about applying to medical school in June 2021 and not having any grades from this program? Did anyone who complete this program in the years past get accepted right away to PNWU?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes,
in fact the MAMS program have a pretty good reputation of getting their Master’s Students into the DO program. It really depends on how well you fit with the school’s mission, but also your performance. Just a little history, generally just about all the students who apply to PNWU from the MAM’s program are accepted, unless you shoot yourself in the foot, perform significantly lower in the dual DO classes or, you chose to apply to a different profession. Generally about 90-98% of the students who interviewed matriculate. There were a couple of odd cases.
As far as matriculating immediately, it depends on performance and stats also MCAT sometimes. If you meet the threshold MCAT and are performing well overall you might get accepted immediately. About half of our class was accepted 2 wks after their interview. the other half was wait-listed. To my knowledge everyone wait-listed was accepted, only 1 person who interviewed chose to go another route.
Overall the MAMS students have a good reputation and they are admired and contribute a lot to the roots of PNWU. In my personal opinion, it also adds a good deal of diversity to the program. That’s another story.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes,
in fact the MAMS program have a pretty good reputation of getting their Master’s Students into the DO program. It really depends on how well you fit with the school’s mission, but also your performance. Just a little history, generally just about all the students who apply to PNWU from the MAM’s program are accepted, unless you shoot yourself in the foot, perform significantly lower in the dual DO classes or, you chose to apply to a different profession. Generally about 90-98% of the students who interviewed matriculate. There were a couple of odd cases.
As far as matriculating immediately, it depends on performance and stats also MCAT sometimes. If you meet the threshold MCAT and are performing well overall you might get accepted immediately. About half of our class was accepted 2 wks after their interview. the other half was wait-listed. To my knowledge everyone wait-listed was accepted, only 1 person who interviewed chose to go another route.
Overall the MAMS students have a good reputation and they are admired and contribute a lot to the roots of PNWU. In my personal opinion, it also adds a good deal of diversity to the program. That’s another story.
Are you someone who has taken the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm on the PNWU wait list for their DO program, but I applied this week to the MAMS program to better my application for the next cycle if I don't get accepted off one of the two wait lists I'm currently on. I can't wait to meet you all!

Just got an A for the MAMS program this fall!

Yes,
Hello! I just got accepted to MAMS program for this fall yesterday. I have a couple questions if anyone can answer!
Does anyone know how the classes are set up? What I mean is are classes arranged in blocks or how does that work?
Does anyone have any suggestions about what books/apps/materials we can use prior to starting to help learn the material?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted into the MAMS program!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I just got accepted to MAMS program for this fall yesterday. I have a couple questions if anyone can answer!
Does anyone know how the classes are set up? What I mean is are classes arranged in blocks or how does that work?
Does anyone have any suggestions about what books/apps/materials we can use prior to starting to help learn the material?

This is the best I've seen as far as curriculum. Speaking to an admissions advisor there, she said that the first semester Scientific Foundations course is taken along side the DO students, so I imagine there will be a similar class the second semester, though I am not sure. I know that if you test at or above the class average for the Scientific Foundations course, you get an automatic interview at the DO school, assuming you want it. I can't imagine that the MAMS course load is more difficult than the DO course load, so I imagine that as long as you are taking it seriously, getting the class average will be very doable.

Just got accepted into the MAMS program!
Barring an acceptance from a couple of waitlists I'm on, I can't wait to meet you in the fall! Congrats on your acceptance!

Barring an acceptance from a couple of waitlists I'm on, I can't wait to meet you in the fall! Congrats on your acceptance!
Same situation! Hope you get that A from a school though, otherwise see you next fall!!

Does anyone know if MAMS accepts students that are OOS and do not reside in one of PNWU’s “preferred” states? I am thinking of applying here after I retake the MCAT in April. Wondering if it would be too late to submit an application in May (when my score comes back)? Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Does anyone know if MAMS accepts students that are OOS and do not reside in one of PNWU’s “preferred” states? I am thinking of applying here after I retake the MCAT in April. Wondering if it would be too late to submit an application in May (when my score comes back)? Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Speaking to an admissions counselor, they say that admissions are rolling until the class is filled, which could be tomorrow, could be September. I would apply immediately and just keep them updated on your MCAT score.

Speaking to an admissions counselor, they say that admissions are rolling until the class is filled, which could be tomorrow, could be September. I would apply immediately and just keep them updated on your MCAT score.
I’m just so scared that my low MCAT score will get me rejected from the program, though? Trying to weigh the pros and cons of applying now vs after my second score, but thanks for replying and trying to help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I’m OOS and got accepted. I’d apply soon though since the class size is 30-40 with rolling admissions

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current MAMS student, if anyone has any questions feel free to message me.

Going down the question list:

@snejhok I also applied while attending the program, I simply waited from Fall semester to finish then sent in updates to all my other schools. This should be sufficient. I don't think graduate GPA really moves the needle for adcoms, so you'll get IIs based on your ug GPA.
Classes are scheduled differently than any other program I know of. First semester you'll be 80-90% focused on Scientific Foundations of Medicine (SciFoM) for the first 12 weeks with the OMS-I students. After SciFoM ends you'll then switch focus to the rest of the curriculum. Second semester is much more like a regular program with semester long courses.
There's nothing you NEED to do to prepare for the program, but staying relevant with core science concepts would not hurt. The same advice for med school applies here, enjoy your break, replenish your energy, once school starts there will be plenty to worry about. The program is designed to have you succeed, you'll get all the support OMS-Is get. I would say most of us performed better in SciFoM, probably because we take a much lighter course load.
@bronzeflamingo in my cohort there's a fair amount from out of region, but I'm not sure if there's special preference. I would also apply as early as possible and let them know you're MCAT plan and projected score release. I took mine during the first wave and had to wait till my score came out before I was accepted.

Does anyone know matriculation to MD schools from program graduates?

Does this program limit your ability to apply broadly? I know some linkage programs demand that you can only apply to their med school. Also, does this program do official “linkage”?

Tia!

@Swfbrown I think there's been a few in the past, but you'd probably have to apply once you finish the program. MD programs also tend to not value SMP grades as highly. I don't think MAMS is at too much of a disadvantage compared to other SMPs.
@solotravelingpremed there's no limit on your ability to apply. There's not even a requirement to apply to PNWU-COM. There's "official" linkage in the sense that historically if you score 80% or better in SciFoM you're guarenteed an interview at PNWU. There's also the tradition that if you score well, you'll be waived from taking SciFoM again once you matriculate. Some MAMS students become tutors as OMS-1s.

Hi, what would be considered applying late to this program?
@notyouraverageapplicant sorry, I missed your question. I would apply as early as possible, but I'm not sure there is a strict deadline. Program starts in Aug.
I applied really late due to covid delaying mcat, but I reached out as late as April, waited till July for my official score to receive my acceptance.

@Swfbrown I think there's been a few in the past, but you'd probably have to apply once you finish the program. MD programs also tend to not value SMP grades as highly. I don't think MAMS is at too much of a disadvantage compared to other SMPs.
@solotravelingpremed there's no limit on your ability to apply. There's not even a requirement to apply to PNWU-COM. There's "official" linkage in the sense that historically if you score 80% or better in SciFoM you're guarenteed an interview at PNWU. There's also the tradition that if you score well, you'll be waived from taking SciFoM again once you matriculate. Some MAMS students become tutors as OMS-1s.
Thanks for your reply. Do most MAMS directly matriculate to a professional program or apply after program completion?

Thanks for your reply. Do most MAMS directly matriculate to a professional program or apply after program completion?
I think the statistics are 89% of past students have matriculated to some type of medical profession, MD/DO, DPT/OT, DPM, PharmD. Most of us applied to PNWU while in the program, this is encouraged, and I think historically >80% have been accepted to PNWU. I think my cohort is projected to have an even higher matriculation rate. Of the 32 of us this year, over half are accepted already, most others are waitlisted. There are a few (1-2) that will apply this June for various reasons.

Now that the program is fully moved to PNWU you'll have even closer interaction with the COM. We've also been informed that there's now interview guarentees being finalized with PT, OT, and Pharm programs with possibility of MD and DPM "linkage" in the pipeline.

Does anyone know when the school year starts? Not sure when I should be looking at apartments

Does anyone know when the school year starts? Not sure when I should be looking at apartments
Program starts with the OMS-1s, I would plan for first or second week of August.

Does anyone know what the difference is between MAMS at Heritage vs MAMS at PNWU? On the PostbacCas app, it’s listing them as two separate programs. Any clarification would be helpful!

Does anyone know what the difference is between MAMS at Heritage vs MAMS at PNWU? On the PostbacCas app, it’s listing them as two separate programs. Any clarification would be helpful!
MAMS is/was administered initially through Heritage University due to accreditation requirements. Starting this fall the program will officially be offered through PNWU.
As far as coursework and faculty, nothing will change.

Congrats on your acceptance! How long did it take you to hear back from the day you submitted your app? Did you also complete the supplemental essay? I just applied and received the supplemental essay to complete.

Does this program limit your ability to apply broadly? I know some linkage programs demand that you can only apply to their med school. Also, does this program do official “linkage”?

Tia!
No.
From what I remembered the directors over the program encourage students to apply to other med schools, and even pharm or PA schools if the DO path or PNWU specifically wasn’t what they wanted ultimately.

This is the best I've seen as far as curriculum. Speaking to an admissions advisor there, she said that the first semester Scientific Foundations course is taken along side the DO students, so I imagine there will be a similar class the second semester, though I am not sure. I know that if you test at or above the class average for the Scientific Foundations course, you get an automatic interview at the DO school, assuming you want it. I can't imagine that the MAMS course load is more difficult than the DO course load, so I imagine that as long as you are taking it seriously, getting the class average will be very doable.
Again my apologies for the late reply.
-From an honest perspective the MAMS program courses were administered more or less like a set schedule.
Fall semester yes you will take the Sci FOM course with the OMSI’s. Generally score 80+ and your interview is set.
In addition to SCIFOM there were Clinicals (Physical Exam practice), an Ethics course, Psychology, Medical Research course, Pharmacodynamics course (info is complex but useful), Health Professions course and etc. Oh and a brief touch up on Anatomy. My recommendation, if you didn’t have anatomy prior brush up on anatomy and pharm prior to your first year as a DO student.
-No the MAMS workload is nowhere near as heavy as the OMSI’s work load. OMS‘s workload is like taking another sci FOM course specific to every system course, paired with Anatomy (yr round), Pharm, Osteopathic Priniciples (yr round), Clinical Med (yr round) and so on. Again, stressful but somewhat manageable.

Congratulations on Acceptances to MAMS and DO program.

I’m just so scared that my low MCAT score will get me rejected from the program, though? Trying to weigh the pros and cons of applying now vs after my second score, but thanks for replying and trying to help!

Depending on your MCAT score but I know the low MCAT can be discouraging. feel free to send me a message if you want to talk more about it. My MCAT was pretty crappy if you ask me under 500 to say the least. Don’t lose out on an oppotunity because you may be nervous to roll the dice.

Last edited:

Hey sorry for my late response. I have been very busy with Cardio and adjusting to the work load this semester. Fortunately I am still hanging in there. The MAMS program does NOT discriminate or have a preference for locals. PWNU will outright tell you they have a preference for students in their 5 state region, but it doesn’t automatically exclude you. It does however decrease your chances based on what they are looking for during the cycle. Admittedly I am NOT from the 5 state region and I was accepted into MAMS and PNWU. Good luck in your endeavors you will do just fine.

Congrats on your acceptance! How long did it take you to hear back from the day you submitted your app? Did you also complete the supplemental essay? I just applied and received the supplemental essay to complete.
Hey,
Applied to PNWU DO school last year, so they told me that the supplemental essay I wrote for them was enough. It took about 2 months for me to get a call of acceptance. Once they have all your documents and letters of recommendations uploaded you can check your status through PNWU's self serve portal. Waiting is the hardest part. Hang in there!

Hey,
Applied to PNWU DO school last year, so they told me that the supplemental essay I wrote for them was enough. It took about 2 months for me to get a call of acceptance. Once they have all your documents and letters of recommendations uploaded you can check your status through PNWU's self serve portal. Waiting is the hardest part. Hang in there!
Thank you for the response! Is this for their MAMS program or their DO school? I got a supplemental essay for their MAMS program. Did you have to go through an interview process for their MAMS program or was it just the application, supplemental, & all the letters of rec? Thank you so much again! I can’t seem to find any recent experiences in applying to the MAMS program.

Has anyone else had any difficulty paying their deposit online?

Hello everyone! Submitted my application today (pretty late) but without an MCAT score. Planning to take the MCAT mid-July, would this still be acceptable?

Worried that my MCAT score will be late, and also a student outside of the 5 states

Congrats @solotravelingpremed! Would you be able to let me know if your status was "complete" and decision was "no decision" before you got your acceptance? I don't have "committee" like @notyouraverageapplicant, so now I'm like :unsure::confused::oops:....

Hi! I’m sorry but I honestly don’t remember 😞 Tricia is super helpful though so I bet it wouldn’t hurt to reach out and confirm with her! Best of luck!

• Care