POC Interview Hair Styles

TH.23

Jul 26, 2021
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
  2. Pharmacy Student
    I have my first interview next week and I have no idea what to do with my hair. To begin I am African American and almost a year ago I shaved my head so my hair is relatively short. I typically keep my hair in braids of some sort throughout the year. Do any of you have an input? Usually they are in box braids which I can style in a neat bun, but any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks🙂

KidPharmD

Pediatric ER Pharmacist
    7+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Jan 21, 2014
    1. Pharmacist
      Since no one answered you and I don't know if you still need it - Do whatever makes you feel like you are appropriate. Pharmacy school just isn't selective enough for things like hair style to matter that much, and if it's a problem for the non-POC people you interview with, then it might not really be a school you want to be at.

Reactions: 1 user

radio frequency

7+ Year Member
    • Dec 18, 2012
      1. Pharmacist
        Honestly I am sad that I didn’t see this question earlier. I echo what was said above, and in my professional life as a pharmacist, I have seen many different ways for women to look professional. If they judge your hairstyle, they may have an issue that is deeper than just your skin tone. I believe your braids or any style you choose that makes you feel put together and professional should be acceptable. I see a lot of natural styles that look great in professional environments (in my opinion). We have a real need in the States for more African American pharmacists and doctors from what I’ve seen in practice, so I do hope you will continue on this journey.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.