Pocket medicine 5th edition changes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerdoc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how drastic the changes are when comparing the new 5th edition (purple) to the 4th edition (green)? I'm starting my residency next year in internal medicine, and trying to decide if it's worth purchasing the updated version, or if I can just make a few changes to my 4th edition handbook. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I got fired once cuz I had a red one and not a green one

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure if you don't buy the purple book, not only will your patients laugh at you, you'll probably get fired.

I only disagree with one part of your response...I do believe patients would be more likely to laugh if they heard heard about a 30-40yo doctor with over 10K posts on an internet blog who used the internet to act like a badas*. Keep on living that wild life of yours...in the meantime I'm going purchase all five editions to make sure I don't get fired

newer citations and studies from 2010 onward.
Also a new surgery, OBGYN, and ophto section.

Otherwise mostly unchanged.

I only disagree with one part of your response...I do believe patients would be more likely to laugh if they heard heard about a 30-40yo doctor with over 10K posts on an internet blog who used the internet to act like a badas*. Keep on living that wild life of yours...in the meantime I'm going purchase all five editions to make sure I don't get fired

roflbot.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I have 12,000 posts on another message forum and I bought the purple book...

and I got "fired" by a patient for not giving him more Dilaudid.

Then his friend brought him cimetidine the next day....

newer citations and studies from 2010 onward.
Also a new surgery, OBGYN, and ophto section.

Otherwise mostly unchanged.

Sounds like it isn't worth the cost. I'll wait for the next edition. Thanks for the help

Sounds like it isn't worth the cost. I'll wait for the next edition. Thanks for the help

And do you actually think the next edition after that will change that much?

And do you actually think the next edition after that will change that much?

Yes.Infections will likely not exist anymore and the protocol for MIs will call for treatment with jelly beans (not the black licorice ones of course) and tickling pts. This will be catastrophic when your outdated book filled with obsolete information said to give aspirin and anticoagulants...try explaining that to your boss while he fires you.

Yes.Infections will likely not exist anymore and the protocol for MIs will call for treatment with jelly beans (not the black licorice ones of course) and tickling pts. This will be catastrophic when your outdated book filled with obsolete information said to give aspirin and anticoagulants...try explaining that to your boss while he fires you.

Yes, bc there is going to be a HUGE difference between the 4th and 5th edition which obviously is not the case. There is this thing called UptoDate, which is going to be much more accurate and useful than anything Pocket Medicine will have.

Yes, bc there is going to be a HUGE difference between the 4th and 5th edition which obviously is not the case. There is this thing called UptoDate, which is going to be much more accurate and useful than anything Pocket Medicine will have.

I think you took my last post too literally. Never thought asking about the difference between 2 editions of a book would draw so much emotion. I was assuming the answer to my original post was that there wasn't any real difference but I couldn't find any information so I thought I'd ask just for confirmation. Grow up, cool your jets and stop getting upset bc someone might waste $50 on a new book. Personally I can think of several instances where $50 has been used for far more useless things than buying books..

But when you're are pressed for time on admissinos, getting cross coverage calls, and having demanding families eat up your time, do you really have time to read a full UTD article?