Jan 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Anyone know how drastic the changes are when comparing the new 5th edition (purple) to the 4th edition (green)? I'm starting my residency next year in internal medicine, and trying to decide if it's worth purchasing the updated version, or if I can just make a few changes to my 4th edition handbook. Thanks in advance.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I'm pretty sure if you don't buy the purple book, not only will your patients laugh at you, you'll probably get fired.

Reactions: DermViser and jdh71
OP
T
Jan 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm pretty sure if you don't buy the purple book, not only will your patients laugh at you, you'll probably get fired.
I only disagree with one part of your response...I do believe patients would be more likely to laugh if they heard heard about a 30-40yo doctor with over 10K posts on an internet blog who used the internet to act like a badas*. Keep on living that wild life of yours...in the meantime I'm going purchase all five editions to make sure I don't get fired

NewYorkDoctors

7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2012
newer citations and studies from 2010 onward.
Also a new surgery, OBGYN, and ophto section.

Otherwise mostly unchanged.

jdh71

epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
FEMA Camp, USA
Status
Attending Physician
I only disagree with one part of your response...I do believe patients would be more likely to laugh if they heard heard about a 30-40yo doctor with over 10K posts on an internet blog who used the internet to act like a badas*. Keep on living that wild life of yours...in the meantime I'm going purchase all five editions to make sure I don't get fired

Reactions: DermViser

NewYorkDoctors

7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2012
I have 12,000 posts on another message forum and I bought the purple book...

and I got "fired" by a patient for not giving him more Dilaudid.

Then his friend brought him cimetidine the next day....

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like it isn't worth the cost. I'll wait for the next edition. Thanks for the help
And do you actually think the next edition after that will change that much?

OP
T
Jan 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
And do you actually think the next edition after that will change that much?
Yes.Infections will likely not exist anymore and the protocol for MIs will call for treatment with jelly beans (not the black licorice ones of course) and tickling pts. This will be catastrophic when your outdated book filled with obsolete information said to give aspirin and anticoagulants...try explaining that to your boss while he fires you.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes.Infections will likely not exist anymore and the protocol for MIs will call for treatment with jelly beans (not the black licorice ones of course) and tickling pts. This will be catastrophic when your outdated book filled with obsolete information said to give aspirin and anticoagulants...try explaining that to your boss while he fires you.
Yes, bc there is going to be a HUGE difference between the 4th and 5th edition which obviously is not the case. There is this thing called UptoDate, which is going to be much more accurate and useful than anything Pocket Medicine will have.

OP
T
Jan 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Yes, bc there is going to be a HUGE difference between the 4th and 5th edition which obviously is not the case. There is this thing called UptoDate, which is going to be much more accurate and useful than anything Pocket Medicine will have.
I think you took my last post too literally. Never thought asking about the difference between 2 editions of a book would draw so much emotion. I was assuming the answer to my original post was that there wasn't any real difference but I couldn't find any information so I thought I'd ask just for confirmation. Grow up, cool your jets and stop getting upset bc someone might waste $50 on a new book. Personally I can think of several instances where $50 has been used for far more useless things than buying books..

NewYorkDoctors

7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2012
But when you're are pressed for time on admissinos, getting cross coverage calls, and having demanding families eat up your time, do you really have time to read a full UTD article?

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Pocket medicine is an amazing resource I still use at least every day or two.