Pocket Medicine (international edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Basch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student from Sweden considering a purchase of Pocket Medicine. First of all, is this book even useful for third year (just starting clinical medicine)?

I also noticed that there was an edition called "International edition" but I cannot find any information about the difference between this and the original edition (both are available here in Sweden). Maybe someone here knows!

I am also a bit concerned about the plastic material since some people on Amazon commented on the 4th edition that there was a sticker on the plastic saying that the binder could cause cancer. Any information regarding this?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also interested in buying Pocket Medicine, specially the International edition.

It is literally the exact same book. I have the international edition because it was like $40 cheaper than the "US" edition. I don't really know why there is an international edition but if it's cheaper, get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, seems strange that they are identical but who cares since it is cheaper.

Any information regarding the warning sticker on the plastics? Would also like to know if the book is useful for third year (first clinical courses).

Ok, seems strange that they are identical but who cares since it is cheaper.

Any information regarding the warning sticker on the plastics? Would also like to know if the book is useful for third year (first clinical courses).

Pocket medicine is a very concise and well structured quick reference. Whether you're about to see a patient in DKA and want a quick refresh or you're working up anemia and want to review the difference etiologies and work up, etc its great. I carried it with me all of 3rd and 4th year and all throughout my IM residency. If the international edition is the same, it's definitely worth getting it going into your 3rd year clerkships since you see IM issues in all the different specialties.