Pocket Medicine - Old vs. New Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbpiano1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there is a new red version of Pocket Medicine (2007), but I have the option of buying the blue edition (2004). Anyone know if there are major differences between the two? Worth spending the extra money on the new edition?

Members don't see this ad.

So there is a new red version of Pocket Medicine (2007), but I have the option of buying the blue edition (2004). Anyone know if there are major differences between the two? Worth spending the extra money on the new edition?

While I cannot tell you what the differences are in the editions, i feel that one of the strengths of pocket medicine is that it cites important journal articles and studies for treatment protocols... it is something to keep on top of, i think.

If they put out a new edition every year I would consider buying it. They really have up to date citations of the literature and recommendations out there. Some sections are better than others, but as a general book it is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
The red one has a better organization. I'd go with the red.

The red one has a better organization. I'd go with the red.

Agree as well. More up-to-date, better organized. The medicine residents I worked with kept stealing mine for these reasons.

Go with the 07. Believe me the organization is key when you're walking into a patient's room knowing your staff is about to ask you to give a little improv presentation on hyperaldosteronism.