Pocket PC advantages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady bug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages to getting an Axim 51v over the Palm TX? I am really technology incompetent and trying to figure out which one to get. I've heard that most of the free programs are made for PDAs.....and also, if the PocketPC runs out of battery, you lose all your data.

Members don't see this ad.

lady bug said:
What are the advantages to getting an Axim 51v over the Palm TX? I am really technology incompetent and trying to figure out which one to get. I've heard that most of the free programs are made for PDAs.....and also, if the PocketPC runs out of battery, you lose all your data.

ask your school which they recommend. you wouldn't want to buy one and find out that hospitals that you will be in during 3rd and 4th year require the other...

fun8stuff said:
ask your school which they recommend. you wouldn't want to buy one and find out that hospitals that you will be in during 3rd and 4th year require the other...

Our teaching hospital is compatible with either of the devices I mentioned. So its just a matter of personal preference which one to get.

Members don't see this ad :)
lady bug said:
.....and also, if the PocketPC runs out of battery, you lose all your data.

That is a royal pain in the ass, especially if you haven't sync'ed in a while. I've had that happen several times, and have had to reload everything.

debvz said:
That is a royal pain in the ass, especially if you haven't sync'ed in a while. I've had that happen several times, and have had to reload everything.

i have the newest axim x51v. I have ran out of battery several times and I have never lost any of my data. The only thing that happens is the date and time are reset. I am happy with it and would recommend it, but obviously if you are a technophobe you will proabbly have some problems either way.

Think of Palm like Mac, and PocketPC like, well, PC. Both work. Both do the same thing, they just take different paths. Any software you need on one will be there on the other, under a different name or different price. Palm has a lot of stuff, but PocketPC is taking over the market.
And you really don't lose all your data unless you let the backup battery die either. Any of them can last 2-3 days between charges unless you carry the thing during rounds playing jawbreaker or surfing the web.

IbnSina said:
Think of Palm like Mac, and PocketPC like, well, PC. Both work. Both do the same thing, they just take different paths. Any software you need on one will be there on the other, under a different name or different price. Palm has a lot of stuff, but PocketPC is taking over the market.
And you really don't lose all your data unless you let the backup battery die either. Any of them can last 2-3 days between charges unless you carry the thing during rounds playing jawbreaker or surfing the web.

I agree with this statement. Every software I've downloaded (free or otherwise) comes in multiple versions, including Pocket PC, Palm, plus numerous others like Smartphone etc..

If you're familiar with the Windows interface, I'd suggest the Dell. I have been using Dell V50 for a year now, and I rely heavily on it for studying.

When you get your PDA, I'd definately recommend Stedman's for PDA, and one of those 'Pocket Consult' softwares. There's nothing like being able to look up the important facts when you're on the go. Actually, I've sold my hardcopy of Stedman's after I got it on my PDA. There's no reasons to get up and start flipping through the big Stedman's, when every single letter of it is on my PDA ready for instant lookup.

I also write summary notes and read them on my PDA, plus scanned/downloaded pictures of disease mechanisms, key anatomy diagrams etc.

lady bug said:
Our teaching hospital is compatible with either of the devices I mentioned. So its just a matter of personal preference which one to get.

I would recommend and purchase myself the Axim 51v or any other device that runs PDA Windows (Pocket PC, Windows Moble, etc.) Reasons for the recommendation:

Better screen resolutions, better expandability, and more memory

Battery life will be about the same on devices, unless u are comparing significantly different classes of PDAs (color vs. bw) .. you will need to charge them nightly

Both work for your teaching hospital

Windows is the current market leader for non business PDA’s and will be in the future, they are making the most advances and are being the most aggressive in the market space.

Assuming you are already familiar with Windows the learning curve is shorter.

Better choice of software in general, as with Windows desktops.

If you want technical jargon let me know .. more than happy to oblige. :)