Pocket Reference : Ferri's or Pocket Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgal1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard lots of good things about Ferri's Practical Guide... and Pocket Medicine
but can't decide which one I should get

Majority of the people have pocket medicine at my school,
but I don't mind carrying a bigger book, as long as the content is worth the size...

Which one is better and why???

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I had both. I would say go with Pocket Medicine. It is succinct. The problem I had with Ferri's is that, although it is very complete, it is visually more difficult to find the info quickly. Topical info in Pocket medicine is located on one or two pages. Either way, both are great books

So... it depends on what you are looking for in a handbook.

Pocket Medicine is very concise with 1 page discussions. Very well written as an ultra quick review. I do recommend it.

Another book to look into is The Consult Manual of Internal Medicine. A ton more information... and excellently written as well. It also goes from the basics to the in depth on pretty much everything you'll see on the wards during your rotation.

Try integrating them both.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Consult book is great, but it is too big for your coat pocket. Keep in it your bag. If you go to the publisher's website for the book you can download some pdf chapters of the book before deciding to purchase it. There is a link to the publisher's site on amazon.com

Has anybody seen/used Lange's Internal Medicine On-Call?

I've used the Surgery-On Call I have heard its is pretty much the same as the IM one.
its pretty good, I think more oriented towards MS III and IV's

Pocket Medicine - the book has all the info that attendings love to ask.