Podcasts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungDoc25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already graduated and am currently in the application process, so I'd love some suggestions on Podcasts to pass the time during this process. They can be medically related (ethics, healthcare, etc) or other topics you all find interesting!

Members don't see this ad.

Invisiblia
Reply All
This American Life
The Moth

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Radio Lab
How Stuff Works (they have a bunch of them on different topics)
Only Human

Reactions: 2 users
If you're interested in crimes and/or mystery genres, you might like Serial. The other podcasts suggested are also great to pass time.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought I replied to this. Weird Medicine is good, but definitely not for everyone. For a more serious podcast, The Doctor Paradox is a podcast about physician dissatisfaction, burnouts, and rediscovering their passions. It's really motivation stuff when I'm feeling down sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user
EMCrit is one of my favorites. But only if you are familiar with emergency medicine or critical care.

Reactions: 1 users
In addition to some of the excellent ones above: Planet Money

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Excellent and interesting podcast that's medically related: "Sawbones"

It details various medical oddities throughout time - really funny and insightful!

EMCrit is one of my favorites. But only if you are familiar with emergency medicine or critical care.
I work in the ER as a tech and one of the physicians recommended this as well! Thanks!

My First Cadaver is pretty good, Signal if you want healthcare news, Short Coat Podcast

Excellent and interesting podcast that's medically related: "Sawbones"

It details various medical oddities throughout time - really funny and insightful!
I love how they call their daughter "Chuck."

My favorites:

-The Pollsters
-Lore
-Citizen's Guide to the Supreme Court
-Penn's Sunday School
-Jason Stapleton Program

I find I get a nice mix of content with those five, and their schedules mean I always have something to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've already graduated and am currently in the application process, so I'd love some suggestions on Podcasts to pass the time during this process. They can be medically related (ethics, healthcare, etc) or other topics you all find interesting!

I am a podcast fiend. Here are my favorites, in order:

1. Radiolab
  2. Criminal
  3. This American Life
  4. Freakonomics
  5. The Moth
  6. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (old)
  7. Love & Radio
  8. TED Radio Hour
  9. Serial (old)
  10. Hidden Brain
  11. Invisibilia (s1 > s2, in my opinion)
  12. Spontaneanation (if you like improv comedy)

The OldPreMeds podcast on MedicalSchoolHQ.net. (shameless plug!)

Actually I am huge NPR podcast listener and if you keep up with any of the current political situation The NPR Politics Podcast for real news and The Wait!Wait! Dont Tell Me! for a humorous spin on the week's news
I'm not sure why NPR's podcasts hadn't come to mind, so thank you for that! Already had been referred to OldPreMeds and have enjoyed it- you guys do a great job!

I am a podcast fiend. Here are my favorites, in order:

1. Radiolab
  2. Criminal
  3. This American Life
  4. Freakonomics
  5. The Moth
  6. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (old)
  7. Love & Radio
  8. TED Radio Hour
  9. Serial (old)
  10. Hidden Brain
  11. Invisibilia (s1 > s2, in my opinion)
  12. Spontaneanation (if you like improv comedy)
Ah, I am a huge fan of TEDTalks. That one will definitely be added to my list. Thank you!

In no particular order:
1. Radiolab
2. Radiolab Presents: More Perfect (a miniseries on the Supreme Court - these have been some of my favorite episodes from Radiolab)
3. Invisibilia
4. Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me
5. Ask Me Another
6. Stuff You Should Know
7. Revisionist History
8. Criminal
9. Season 1 of Serial

I'm thinking of starting Hidden Brain, and recently started listening to My Brother, My Brother And Me. I am a podcast fiend, especially when I'm doing more tedious lab work.

Ted radio hour is awesome.

If you haven't listened to serial, that is also great.

I'm partial to The Waking Up Podcast from Sam Harris, but that's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Podcast Beyond! IGN game news. The only podcast i listen to consistently.

Huge podcast fan. In order of what I listen to most religiously:
1. Jocko Podcast: ex Navy SEAL commander, excellent book reviews and commentary on leadership, fortitude, the evil and the good in our world. must listen. I listen to them multiple times
2. Dan Carlin's Common Sense. Somewhat libertarian, definitely neither left nor right, look at politics and current events.
3. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Audiobook quality. Start with "Wrath of the Khans" or "Blueprint to Armeggeddon"
4. The Martyrmade Podcast: worth it just for his 5-6 part series on the history of the Arab-Israeli conflict
5. Science Friday
6. Intelligence Squared, Intelligence Squared US debates
7. Sigma Nutrition
8. Tim Ferris
9. Joe Rogan (depends heavily on the guest)
10. Global Recon podcast -pretty specific to military personnel but I love it
11. Stuff to blow your mind
12. History on fire
13. Waking up with Sam Harris (should be more like 4 or 5 but I forgot)
and at least 5 or 6 more but I'm bored.