Podiatric Physician/Researcher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in being a podiatric physician and researcher. How does this exactly work? I read the interview of Dr. Rogers, but I still have a few questions, like how does one land a job that they can do research in? What are the work hours like? I also want to be able to perform surgeries. Is it possible to balance all these?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in being a podiatric physician and researcher. How does this exactly work? I read the interview of Dr. Rogers, but I still have a few questions, like how does one land a job that they can do research in? What are the work hours like? I also want to be able to perform surgeries. Is it possible to balance all these?

if u a hard worker, HELL YEA!!! There are plenty of pods that go into research bc its what drives the field of medicine. what exactly do u mean by research is the question?

for instance, lets say u think there is a more efficient way/new technique to do an bunionectomy, then you could get approval to do a surgical based research study. this would encompass ur desire to do research and perform surgery at the same time. pod techniques and instruments are always in need of perfection. because of this we arent using the same techniques that NYCPM grads did in 1915.

getting a phd will def get ur foot in the door, but u must consider the time factor. by the time u do 4 yrs of dpm plus phd that can be 7-8yrs b4 you get to residency. but if ur young and full of energy, what the heck, best of luck.

You may want to attempt to contact Adam Landsman, DPM, PhD. Dr. Landsman was the first in our profession to earn a combined DPM/PhD. At the time, there was a unique combined program with a cooperative effort between PCPM (Temple) and the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Landsman completed this program, earning both degrees.

He has been involved with research and was initially in Philly, then in Chicago, and I believe he is now in Boston and involved with the Harvard/Deaconess program.

I'm sure you can look him up and I'm also sure a doctor like Dr. Landsman who has been involved with teaching and academics would be available to answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply both of you! Regarding what sort of research, I'm not too sure yet; there's so many interesting things out there. I'll probably get the sorted out when I'm in pod school. Hm, I'll try to contact Dr. Landsman. If he was the first to earn a combined DPM/PhD, how long ago was that?

Do you know if there are any combined Ph.D/DPM degrees available in any school as of today?

temple has agreements with upenn:eek: and drexel for one

UPenn...sounds nice getting a PhD from there! Pretty much any Temple students can do that program with UPenn?

UPenn...sounds nice getting a PhD from there! Pretty much any Temple students can do that program with UPenn?

Yes, Temple DPM students can apply to the dual degree program.

Des Moines University also has a research program that is geared towards high school students. It is called the High School Summer Program
Youth Education in Science and Medicine (YES MED). Try looking into it.

Oooo that sounds good. (The Temple and UPenn part). It would be really costly for me to attend the Des Moines program, but it looks great for anyone who lives locally

How would you utilize the MPH in conjunction with your DPM?

One more quick and brief question... I was recently watching a video on Podiatric Medicine and one man had a DPM/Ph.D degree long with a MsC. What does an MsC stand for?

Dr Armstrong? xD I think MsC is something like "Masters of Science"

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooo that sounds good. (The Temple and UPenn part). It would be really costly for me to attend the Des Moines program, but it looks great for anyone who lives locally

how do you figure this? both tuition and cost of living is considerably less at DMU vs. temple.

how do you figure this? both tuition and cost of living is considerably less at DMU vs. temple.
I was talking about the summer program at DMU. Costs alot for me (airplane ride there and back) while someone locally just has to pay $25 or something. I was talking about Temple for the combined DPM/PhD program.

A European Master of Science degree? I assume that you would have to take this overseas? Isn't there any such programs in the United States?
No, you misunderstand. It's a Master of European Science. You know, water swirls the wrong way, sirens sound funny, and everything is backwards...

A European Master of Science degree? I assume that you would have to take this overseas? Isn't there any such programs in the United States?

Yes, you have to get it from a European university. Whether you complete your work in Europe or in the US is entirely dependent upon the university. As you may know, most of the work for these graduate research programs are performed "in the field" and not at the universities.

The doctor who you are referring to, David Armstrong, D.P.M., MSc, Ph.D. procured his MSc in tissue repair and wound healing from the University of Wales College of Medicine in Cardiff, England.

Is the wales degree a 2 year degree like the masters over here? or can it be sped up?

There is no time limit for it. It takes however long it takes. There may be specific coursework that is necessary to complete, but a majority of the work is self-study/research that must be completed before you defend your thesis - just like a Ph.D.

There is no time limit for it. It takes however long it takes. There may be specific coursework that is necessary to complete, but a majority of the work is self-study/research that must be completed before you defend your thesis - just like a Ph.D.
Do you know what his Ph.D. is in? I know there are MBA, DPH, and biological engineering, though isn't there any other sub-category that could be qualified to just teach something in a particular field such as Sports Medicine?

Do you know what his Ph.D. is in? I know there are MBA, DPH, and biological engineering, though isn't there any other sub-category that could be qualified to just teach something in a particular field such as Sports Medicine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_G._Armstrong

You can get a Ph.D. in anything. Podiatric Sports Medicine, or even "the effect of the fifth toenail in running with sandals". Ph.D.'s are means to be superspecific. When you finish your Ph.D. dissertation, there should be fewer than a handful of people on the planet that know as much about the "topic" than you do.

You have to get the graduate program of whatever university to agree to let you pursue your Ph.D. in topic "X", and then you choose a committee of experts to oversee your research. Usually, world experts, and sometimes critics of your theories.