podiatric sports medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMCanesMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted into Barry and after a lot of research I have decided that podiatric sports medicine is definitely the field that I would want to work in. I am especially interested in working with a sports franchise. However, I have been un-able to determine whether or not this is a full-time specialty or a sub-specialty within the scope of an everyday podiatric practice. I was just wondering if anyone else is interested in sports medicine and can shed more light on the scope of the practice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Losito is the team podiatrist of the miami heart bball team, barry athletics, and the university of miami bball team. He is a professor at Barry University. You could probably get great info from talking to him.

One of the pods I spoke to was the team pod for the new york islanders hockey team. I don't believe that this appointment was a full time speciality per se (he was dean at one of the pod schools and I think had a private practice as well).

I would guess that team doctors would also have practices in addition to their sports role (especially with off seasons).

Sports medicine is a sub-speciality of podiatry. But like everything else if you work hard and get your name out in the community it can be an all encompassing part of your practice. That being said, sports medicine patients can also be the most demanding and non-compliant but they also heal much more quickly and you will have a great referral base if they are back to 100%.

Now as far as being a podiatrist for the pro-teams, that usually comes with some strings. Some of the teams require that you pay an upfront marketing fee for having your name affiliated with the team name (it varies from each market and sport but can start as low as $25K and go upwards from there). Pro-sport patients require a moments notice for their attention and you are on call 24 hours for their needs.

If you can join a sports medicine group, you can help provide for care of the whole gammut of athletes (weekend warriors, student athletes to pro-athletes). This is also a very good team environment of treating the patient because the sports med doc or the ortho doc send you all the foot and ankle related issues because they are slammed with their own issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently accepted into Barry and after a lot of research I have decided that podiatric sports medicine is definitely the field that I would want to work in. I am especially interested in working with a sports franchise. However, I have been un-able to determine whether or not this is a full-time specialty or a sub-specialty within the scope of an everyday podiatric practice. I was just wondering if anyone else is interested in sports medicine and can shed more light on the scope of the practice? Thanks!

Some franchises aren't professional and a lot of pods that i've shadowed work for university dance teams, soccer clubs, and even special olympic meets. Most do it as volunteering especially on weekends, but they get a lot of referrals and its great for advertising esp in your office.

One DPM i worked for in Chicago worked in the Atlanta Summer Olympics (1994) and has her entire office covered in photos with athletes and letters, it's definitely great for patients to see them.

I know Chicago is now the American bid site for Summer Olympics 2016. One really prominent Podiatrist (also part owner of the Chicago White Sox) has his hand in the olympic committee and has his institute very involved in this. If Chicago gets the olympics, look for Podiatric Medicine to grace the world sports stage.

Some franchises aren't professional and a lot of pods that i've shadowed work for university dance teams, soccer clubs, and even special olympic meets. Most do it as volunteering especially on weekends, but they get a lot of referrals and its great for advertising esp in your office.

One DPM i worked for in Chicago worked in the Atlanta Summer Olympics (1994) and has her entire office covered in photos with athletes and letters, it's definitely great for patients to see them.

I know Chicago is now the American bid site for Summer Olympics 2016. One really prominent Podiatrist (also part owner of the Chicago White Sox) has his hand in the olympic committee and has his institute very involved in this. If Chicago gets the olympics, look for Podiatric Medicine to grace the world sports stage.

http://www.aapsm.org/index.html

here's the Pod sports med association. good luck