Podiatric Surgeon Salaries in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckochar070

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody...just wondering, how much would the average salary be for podiatric surgeons (not general podiatrists) in the Oz? Also, why is it that there are so few podiatric surgeons in Australia? I've heard that supposedly the ortho surgeons down under have been beefing it up with the podiatric surgeons over who gets the most patients, and the orthos supposedly win. Can anyone verify this? Any input would be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

really? in the pre-pod forum? really?

I'm sorry but what is that suppose to mean? Is this not an open forum where one can come in and ask questions about a profession? I was just curious man...

Members don't see this ad :)
I met a visiting Australian pod surg resident on one of my externships. Their training is long (for the small % of their pods who are granted surgical programs) but scope is more limited. He was pretty amazed at the midfoot, rearfoot, and ankle procedures that the US DPMs are trained for and perform regularly. I have no idea if it's mandated in Aus that ortho takes those cases, the pods aren't trained for them, or a combo of those factors?

I believe the nation has widespread socialized medicine, and surgical procedures don't pay very well. I don't know if most surgeons are paid on salary or performance basis. However, some patients will then pay cash instead of waiting months/years for their surgery from the govt programs... he stated that patients routinely wait 1-2yrs with a diagnosis of end stage hallux limitus/rigidus before they can undergo surgery covered by the govt health programs.

Even for a surgeon, a good % of income is still clinical visits, consults, etc since many procedures are outpatients. You can't just focus on how well the procedures themselves pay. I'm sure there are international pod forums if you need more info? GL

I am visiting australia currently, and wanted to read up on their medical system. I would imagine that ortho has a waiting list for procedures; thus, the pods should have a high surgical volume taking almost all things related to the foot and ankle, correct?

I am visiting australia currently, and wanted to read up on their medical system. I would imagine that ortho has a waiting list for procedures; thus, the pods should have a high surgical volume taking almost all things related to the foot and ankle, correct?

It's a completely different scope of practice in Oz (much less than in the states). Do more reading.

I met a visiting Australian pod surg resident on one of my externships. Their training is long (for the small % of their pods who are granted surgical programs) but scope is more limited. He was pretty amazed at the midfoot, rearfoot, and ankle procedures that the US DPMs are trained for and perform regularly. I have no idea if it's mandated in Aus that ortho takes those cases, the pods aren't trained for them, or a combo of those factors?

I believe the nation has widespread socialized medicine, and surgical procedures don't pay very well. I don't know if most surgeons are paid on salary or performance basis. However, some patients will then pay cash instead of waiting months/years for their surgery from the govt programs... he stated that patients routinely wait 1-2yrs with a diagnosis of end stage hallux limitus/rigidus before they can undergo surgery covered by the govt health programs.

Even for a surgeon, a good % of income is still clinical visits, consults, etc since many procedures are outpatients. You can't just focus on how well the procedures themselves pay. I'm sure there are international pod forums if you need more info? GL

Feli

Sorry to tell you that your so called "Visiting Australian Podiatric Surgery Resident" completely misrepresented the facts & truth to you. The reality is that Aussie fake podiatric surgeons are actually just like Canadian chiropodists in terms of their education and training.

Show me an Australian "Visiting Podiatric Surgeon Resident" and I'll show you a big liar.

If you don't believe me-------then just take a look at this Australian NSW Government Tribunal finding a so called "Fellow of the Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons" guilty of numerous lies. Too many lies to count. One of such deliberate lies meant for public consumption was that he completed a Residency in the USA. Another such sociopathic lie is that he holds a Doctorate degree. Neither statement is true. This kind of dishonesty is criminal in the USA, but obviously not Down Under.

The educational standards of the Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons (ACPS) are built upon countless lies after lies.

The Aussie Government is on to them and their untruthful ways. A strong, but long overdue, Government move is being made to protect the public from bad actors like this.

Oh, don't take my word for it. Have a look at these official documents which confirm the above.

Word has it that a bunch of his ACPS buddies claim to be proud members of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS). But is the ACFAS proud to be associated with the Acps and their so called acps Fellows? These people, in all reality, do not have even half enough education to be considered for an American Licensing application.

http://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/action/PJUDG?jgmtid=174652

http://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/action/PJUDG?jgmtid=174652#amendmentDetails

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e-toes-amputated/story-fni0cx12-1227094031185

Feli

Sorry to tell you that your so called "Visiting Australian Podiatric Surgery Resident" completely misrepresented the facts & truth to you. The reality is that Aussie fake podiatric surgeons are actually just like Canadian chiropodists in terms of their education and training.

Show me an Australian "Visiting Podiatric Surgeon Resident" and I'll show you a big liar.

If you don't believe me-------then just take a look at this Australian NSW Government Tribunal finding a so called "Fellow of the Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons" guilty of numerous lies. Too many lies to count. One of such deliberate lies meant for public consumption was that he completed a Residency in the USA. Another such sociopathic lie is that he holds a Doctorate degree. Neither statement is true. This kind of dishonesty is criminal in the USA, but obviously not Down Under.

The educational standards of the Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons (ACPS) are built upon countless lies after lies.

The Aussie Government is on to them and their untruthful ways. A strong, but long overdue, Government move is being made to protect the public from bad actors like this.

Oh, don't take my word for it. Have a look at these official documents which confirm the above.

Word has it that a bunch of his ACPS buddies claim to be proud members of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS). But is the ACFAS proud to be associated with the Acps and their so called acps Fellows? These people, in all reality, do not have even half enough education to be considered for an American Licensing application.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e-toes-amputated/story-fni0cx12-1227094031185

This thread was last responded to 5 years ago and Feli hasn't been active for over a year. I don't know if you will get any responses.

Reactions: 1 user
Feli

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

I am so sorry to hear your unscientific Idea, I am in Australia. I am studying to become a pod surgeon, I have a medical degree, three masters and PHD degree from Australian universities. I shame that when I was a medical doctor as all other chemical doctors, I tried to fix everything with pain killer and treat symptoms irrelevant to the causes. Easily health funds supported me, government supported me and research provided me lots of information to use one pain killer beside the other. However, the base of the treatment is wrong and it is just covering symptom without touching the causes. Still health funds supports me 100%, government supports me to have more clients and even any research out of the scope of the traditional medical field was not supported. As a MD I am rich and my knowledge is respectable, but money is not honestly because of my knowledge, it is from medicare support. Who like to lose or even share this support?? Lots of medical practitioners use this opportunity from funds and supports to block other fields with every possible stigma. I am pretty sure that you may have had this situation at the beginning of podiatry field in US, as well. I am so sorry that after this many years of experience, in many countries including Australia still medicine is practiced with Patriarchy rule and it is causing too many problems for other growing fields. Otherwise mistakes and problems which are happening in orthopedic surgery and all other fields of medicine are numerous and they are much beyond a couple samples that you have seen in podiatry field.

Last edited:
Post was 8 years ago.

Close thread.

Work on your grammar for more effective communication.

Savage!!

c8e5bc5617470b693b7513ff8b7bd5f7_my-man-denzel-washington-memes-my-man_293-223.jpeg

I can see you getting elected class ambassador for your year...

Reactions: 3 users
I was gonna post too but I wanted to wait for someone else.

Coulda sworn they speak English in Australia, hehe...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I was gonna post too but I wanted to wait for someone else.

Coulda sworn they speak English in Australia, hehe...

Uncle Bob... welcome back! Temple finally let you out for the summer, or you still have a few more weeks to go?

Reactions: 1 user
Uncle Bob... welcome back! Temple finally let you out for the summer, or you still have a few more weeks to go?
I wish we were off, but the workload is super light right now at least. We have a cumulative exam over all first year material on the 26th, then we're off for two months. But we don't have to do well on that exam to move on and it's not for a grade, pretty much just to check whether the curriculum is effective and how much we've retained, so it's still pretty chill right now.

Reactions: 2 users