Podiatrist are primary care docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docbrad

Docbrad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a practicing podiatrist for the past 25 years. I am shocked to read the negativity coming from current and prospective podiatry students. What can any of you possibly know what it is like to actually work as a podiatrist. There isn't a day that goes by when a number of my patients THANK me for what I do for them. If there is a downside it's the governmental regulation paperwork, overhead, etc. which is in all business today, not just medicine.
Of course it is alarming to hear of the oppressive debt being incurred by podiatry students. Admittedly it is probably harder to get established as a podiatrist however opportunities do exist for a satisfying and financially rewarding career.
As I look toward retirement I can see one or even two associates in my practice future with a chance for them to buy into a very successful podiatry practice.
The heading of this post is because the public recognizes podiatrists as experts in "footcare". The seek our help on their own. I get referrals from M.D.s and D.O.s but primarily from other patients. The public is the ultimate judge of our worth as health care providers; and don't forget it!

Members don't see this ad.

I have met others who are lucky enough to share in your feelings, but there are many, many, many, more who are not.