podiatrist vs orthopedist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimnewcom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got into osu and nyu dental school this year.

but my friend didn't get an admission from any schools.

fortunately, he got into some podiatry school. (i think it was temple...im not sure)

but now, he's rubbing it in my face that he's gonna be a doctor and im gonna be a just tooth drilling witch.

so, i was wondering if its true that podiatrists are pretty much the same as the orthopedists and getting into podiatry school is as hard as getting into medical school.

also, he said that he didn't have to take any test to get into the podiatry school. they just took his DAT score instead. is it possible??

ps; what kind of works do podiatrists do and how much do they get paid?

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=284170

Getting into podiatry school is a lot easier to get into than med school. But the curriculum is just as rigorous.. so a lot of people drop out after the first year (with a lot of debt).

orthopedists are MD/DO doctors. those who complete a foot & ankle fellowship basically do the same surgeries as podiatrists....but that depends on your location and other political crap. That is probably the only thing we have in common (foot & ankle surgeries). But I'm sure you're aware that orthopedists do a lot! hands, hips, shoulders, etc where as podiatrists do not go anywhere above the knee (in my opinion, hallelujah!)

Aside from surgery, podiatrists do a lot as well.

Podiatry niches: sports medicine, podopediatrics, diabetic wound care, general foot/ankle problems, surgery etc etc. You can make a lot of $$..but it also depends on you.

To elaborate on this subject, I believe it's more difficult to get accepted into allopathic medical school than podiatric medical school.

However, although your "friend" gained acceptance with only DAT scores, the overwhelming majority of podiatric students were required to submit MCAT scores, not DAT scores.

Podiatric medical school is 4 years and the first few years of curriculum basically mirrors that of most medical schools. There are also clinical and hospital rotations in the later years and the majority of graduates complete 3 years of hospital residency, with some going on to complete even more training with additional fellowship specialty training.

As in dentistry, some podiatrists specialize and some have general practices. As stated in the post above, there a sub specialties such as strictly surgical practices, wound care practices, sports medicine practices, pediatric practices, etc., diabetic practices, etc., though the majority of podiatric practices encompass the full spectrum of the specialties mentioned.

Income varies from practice to practice just as in any specialty or profession, but is consistent with any medical professional.

Members don't see this ad :)

fortunately, he got into some podiatry school. (i think it was temple...im not sure)

but now, he's rubbing it in my face that he's gonna be a doctor and im gonna be a just tooth drilling witch.

so, i was wondering if its true that podiatrists are pretty much the same as the orthopedists and getting into podiatry school is as hard as getting into medical school.

also, he said that he didn't have to take any test to get into the podiatry school. they just took his DAT score instead. is it possible??

So basically what you want is the one-up on your friend?

But my friend didn't get an admission from any schools.

Fortunately, he got into some podiatry school. (i think it was temple...im not sure)

Also, he said that he didn't have to take any test to get into the podiatry school. They just took his dat score instead. Is it possible??

Ps; what kind of works do podiatrists do and how much do they get paid?

lol

PADPM said:
To elaborate on this subject, I believe it's more difficult to get accepted into allopathic medical school than podiatric medical school.

This may be the understatement of the year. Tell your friend that he won't be a real doctor...just a guy with a foot fetish who couldn't get in anywhere else. Kind of like you'll just be a money grubbing, tooth drilling witch.

What does your friend rubbing it in your face have to do with pod pay?

Just tell your friend that you got into your 1st choice and he didnt!;)

I'm surprised this thread hasn't digressed more.

This may be the understatement of the year. Tell your friend that he won't be a real doctor...just a guy with a foot fetish who couldn't get in anywhere else. Kind of like you'll just be a money grubbing, tooth drilling witch.

:laugh:

However, although your "friend" gained acceptance with only DAT scores, the overwhelming majority of podiatric students were required to submit MCAT scores, not DAT scores.

Podiatric medical school is 4 years and the first few years of curriculum basically mirrors that of most medical schools. There are also clinical and hospital rotations in the later years and the majority of graduates complete 3 years of hospital residency, with some going on to complete even more training with additional fellowship specialty training.

As in dentistry, some podiatrists specialize and some have general practices. As stated in the post above, there a sub specialties such as strictly surgical practices, wound care practices, sports medicine practices, pediatric practices, etc., diabetic practices, etc., though the majority of podiatric practices encompass the full spectrum of the specialties mentioned.

Income varies from practice to practice just as in any specialty or profession, but is consistent with any medical professional.

Podiatric Medical school is also allopathic just with a focus on the foot in certain classes.

DPM vs MD = MD makes more. Only real difference in the field of treating the lower leg.

so...podiatrists are also doctors who can prescribe medicine and perform surgery..right? just like MDs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea just as you said doctors who can prescribe medicine and perform surgery, just like MDs; podiatry is a medical specialty which also has sub-specialties.
G0d I'm not sure the post you quoted is real/genuine. But technically DPM isn't a med specialty as defined by the AMA. It is NOT considered a physician as MDs are. It may as well be chiropractic or naturopathic, or homepathic for that matter, as you can hold yourself out as a doctor but truly you're stretching physican as defined by state law.

G0d I'm not sure the post you quoted is real/genuine. But technically DPM isn't a med specialty as defined by the AMA. It is NOT considered a physician as MDs are. It may as well be chiropractic or naturopathic, or homepathic for that matter, as you can hold yourself out as a doctor but truly you're stretching physican as defined by state law.

Are you serious right now !!?? Your gonna compare podiatry to those handicapped fields again?!!! ... OK no one is gonna even get in that rite now ... this topic has been abused ... Podiatry is a medical specialty that contains other sub specialties . case closed.

Are you serious right now !!?? Your gonna compare podiatry to those handicapped fields again?!!! ... OK no one is gonna even get in that rite now ... this topic has been abused ... Podiatry is a medical specialty that contains other sub specialties . case closed.
I'm afraid its true what I said though. Look up this argument countless times on here. DPM does not qualify in the eyes of legal definition as a physician.

I am surprised GymMan has not talked about money at any point in this thread.

Today is the most JOYOUS day of my SDN life!!!!

Podiatric Medical school is also allopathic just with a focus on the foot in certain classes.

Of course I know what WE do is allopathic, but our schools are considered "podiatric". I was simply using the term "allopathic" when mentioning podiatric schools vs. medical schools to distinguish the two.....but you already knew that fact didn't you?

Additionally, to address the "physician" comment, many states DO include podiatrists under the term physician, and Medicare also includes podiatrists under the term physician.

banned for trolling lol. Happy birthday jesus, what a terrific gift to receive!

you must mean the re-birth of Jesus? lol

errr, right. Excuse me! I got so excited, my hands were trembling, i couldnt even think straight!

Additionally, to address the "physician" comment, many states DO include podiatrists under the term physician, and Medicare also includes podiatrists under the term physician.

That is TRUE.

However, under the Medicaid or Medi-cal program here in California, podiatry is not listed under the definition of physician and considered an optional medical service, which could be written out or excluded from the state annual budget every year. Thus far with lobbying efforts by the state podiatry association and the American Diabetes Association, Medi-cal has yet to rid of podiatry services. There are fewer and fewer podiatrists accepting Medi-cal patients at such low reimbursement rate that they simply do not care whether podiatry is included in the future, which sadly means lack of quality care for Medi-cal patients.

That is TRUE.

However, under the Medicaid or Medi-cal program here in California, podiatry is not listed under the definition of physician and considered an optional medical service, which could be written out or excluded from the state annual budget every year. Thus far with lobbying efforts by the state podiatry association and the American Diabetes Association, Medi-cal has yet to rid of podiatry services. There are fewer and fewer podiatrists accepting Medi-cal patients at such low reimbursement rate that they simply do not care whether podiatry is included in the future, which sadly means lack of quality care for Medi-cal patients.

>in California

there's your problem. the definition is different in every state.

LMAO WOW! ..... This guy has some nerve to come to a pod forum and say that we aren't physicians... he needs to do some research!!! How long is he banned for ? .... Is it by any chance permanent??

His trollish behavior may be frowned upon but does open up discussions to educate our anonymous viewing audience.

Here in CA 16 yrs ago, the California Orthopedic Association attempted to restrict the scope of practice for podiatry by questioning our education curriculum and residency training, which led to an independent study, known as the Nelson-Medio study, sponsored by the California Medical Board . The study findings backfired and further supported our profession.

This is worth reading for all pre-pods.

Here is the link.
http://www.bpm.ca.gov/forms_and_pubs/nelson_medio_report.pdf

His trollish behavior may be frowned upon but does open up discussions to educate our anonymous viewing audience.

Here in CA 16 yrs ago, the California Orthopedic Association attempted to restrict the scope of practice for podiatry by questioning our education curriculum and residency training, which led to an independent study, known as the Nelson-Medio study, sponsored by the California Medical Board . The study findings backfired and further supported our profession.

This is worth reading for all pre-pods.

Here is the link.
http://www.bpm.ca.gov/forms_and_pubs/nelson_medio_report.pdf

O thats great news doc... doesnt this help out the lobbyists in cali?

One of the biggest contradictions Ive seen in my life ... just notice how they use the English here in their conclusion in this report...:

"There is not such a thing as too much education in our opinion and therefore podiatric education could incorporate even more instruction in general medicine and surgery as well as other specialties. The question therefore becomes how far to go? Podiatric medical education would not have to go too much further than where it is in some cases with some individuals now to be the equivalent of the basic education of a physician."

The underlined... complete contradiction ... Overall it is a disgrace how other professionals attack the profession of podiatry ... clearly to only try to bring it down for their own benefits.... They could have avoided all this running around the bush and just clearly state that we are at the physician level!

O thats great news doc... doesnt this help out the lobbyists in cali?

Yes it did.

Nowadays, pods in CA are allowed to perform amputations up to the Chopart's joint and assist on non-podiatric general surgery cases.

Is it because you saw GymMan got banned for trolling? I admit, I smiled a little bit too :laugh:
What did he say that got him banned? Comparing podiatry to chiropractic care? What is trolling exactly cause I have seen more provocative statements on here that didn't result in someone getting banned. Im just curious so I dont end up getting banned for "trolling" someday. Thanks -dyk343

What did he say that got him banned? Comparing podiatry to chiropractic care? What is trolling exactly cause I have seen more provocative statements on here that didn't result in someone getting banned. Im just curious so I dont end up getting banned for "trolling" someday. Thanks -dyk343

Trolling is posting rubbish in order to get a response. There isn't anything wrong with arguing points. I argue points with people all the time on here.

It's when you say things that are ludicrous, in order to start fights, that amounts to trolling. When everything someone posts is full of ridiculousness and is rarely constructive, they're a troll.

Last edited:
Trolling is posting rubbish in order to get a response. There isn't anything wrong with arguing points. I argue points with people all the time on here.

It's when you say things that are ludicrous, in order to start fights, that amounts to trolling. When everything someone posts is full of ridiculousness and is rarely constructive, they're a troll.
I absolutely agree. The forums are a place for people to discuss and argue (for an example, there were some pretty good discussions about politics during the elections, and none of us involved in those discussions were banned). I think the main point is that in most cases, it is a cordial debate, nobody gets personal, and we post to get our opinions across, not start a pointless fight. Atleast that is how I see it.

There is nothing wrong with healthy debates but comparing podiatry to chiro or naturopathy is just plain ludicrous. Podiatrists practice evidence based, allopathic medicine. Are chiro or naturopathy docs members of medical staff or do they hold surgical privileges??? Do they have Rx rights???

I think what we were dealing with in GymMan was a person who has absolutely no idea what podiatrists do. However, the ban WAS NOT a result of this flame war (although it would have merited an infraction) but had to do with other unrelated issues.

I hate to bring up the "are DPM's physician" debate AGAIN, but.... It seems to me that the title is contingent on state law and law itself is contingent, always changing and dependent on INTERPRETATION (bias much?)

If you are/are not a "physician" in one state, how are/are not you a "physican" in another state?? Aren't we all treating HUMANS? I never really understood that. But as long as we are able to provide quality to care to patients...what the eff does it matter?!??!

"but now, he's rubbing it in my face that he's gonna be a doctor and im gonna be a just tooth drilling witch."

you friend is an idiot, dentist are respected doctors and generally dental school is harder to get in than pod school.

UNBELIEVEABLE.......this is the BIGGEST misconception of podiatrists....your education is not even close that of MD/DO's. I go to a school where both programs exist, and the ONLY similarity between the two is first year. Second year the only class we share is pharmacology. After that all pod students focus on is the foot. Regular medical students have to rotate through ALL the fields of medicine....it is not even close. Don't pretend to be something you're not. I hear this comparison all the time in the hospital and the podiatrists walk around with chips on their shoulders.....be proud of the profession you chose and quit trying to be something you're not...

UNBELIEVEABLE.......this is the BIGGEST misconception of podiatrists....your education is not even close that of MD/DO's. I go to a school where both programs exist, and the ONLY similarity between the two is first year. Second year the only class we share is pharmacology. After that all pod students focus on is the foot. Regular medical students have to rotate through ALL the fields of medicine....it is not even close. Don't pretend to be something you're not. I hear this comparison all the time in the hospital and the podiatrists walk around with chips on their shoulders.....be proud of the profession you chose and quit trying to be something you're not...

I'm pretty sure you guys take Pathology right? Anyhow, I think you misread that posters statements. He said that podiatry is ALLOPATHIC MEDICINE, with emphasis on a specific anatomic area. He never said podiatry school is allopathic medical school. There is a large difference between those statements.

Relax... everyone will specialize in a body part at the end ( for the most part) ...

"What is wrong with people?! I seriously do not understand why *****s like this don't get a life. Do you people actually think anything this dip s@#! says means anything, this is freakin SDN, nobody gives a rats ***** what initials are behind your name, this is a waste of my time." quote from Huntr

You said it Huntr

thank you for your opinion.

I am aware of what I am and what I am training to be. I have absolutely no interest in treating the common cold, cardiac ailments, liver disease, RA or any other systemic disease including diabetes, kidney failure, or PVD/PAD...

I do however have an appreciation for what all these diseases and many others do to the body as a whole so when that when I choose a treatment plan for the patient it is the appropriate plan taking into account the patients issues. This is especially true when prescribing meds or planning surgery.

I think this correlates pretty well to any other surgical specialty. The main difference is that most other surgical specialties could go back and become general practitioners if they wanted to or change specialties with another residency. I don't think most would want to though. There is a reason that so many people choose surgical specialties over internal medicine related specialties besides money.