Podiatrists in the Navy with New VA Bill passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KentStPodStudentClass2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was curious with the new VA bill passing for podiatrists to be considered physicians now, how will that affect our pay grade in the VA system and will that effect the HSCP scholarships if we joined the Navy/Army etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys,

I was curious with the new VA bill passing for podiatrists to be considered physicians now, how will that affect our pay grade in the VA system and will that effect the HSCP scholarships if we joined the Navy/Army etc.

Thanks
It does seem that the bill has been gaining some momentum as it has been passed in the house and now introduced in the Senate. Passing of this bill would most likely group podiatrists in the physicians and dentists category where the minimum tier 1 starting salary is approximately $98,000. Currently, the basic tier 1 salary for a clinical podiatrist is $63,000. As far as the military is concerned, I don't think the passing of the law in the VA would automatically result in the military providing us with physicians pay as well. Though I do believe that if it passes in the VA, it will definitely influence the military to take a look at their pay scale and how they group podiatrists and make any necessary adjustments. Not sure if it will have any immediate effect on the navy scholarship.

Reactions: 1 user
So the military pay is based on rank, a podiatrist enters service as O-3, just like any DO or MD, so the base pay, the housing allowance, and food allowance would all be the same across the board. MD and DO's in the military receive specialty pay and other bonuses based on what specialty they are in, so the hard to fill jobs, plastic surgery, orthopedics or cardiac surgery all receive very lucrative incentive pay. I don't really see specialty pay happening or being much, for podiatrists, as it is from what I have seen is not hard to fill these spots. This bill (if and when it passes) will only change the pay for VA podiatrists. The military system is a bit more complicated, as podiatrists are medical service corps no medical corps like MD and DO's. So it is a step for parity, but the military system would need a complete change for podiatry, they would have to reclassified into the medical corps, and then any specialty pay/bonuses would have to be decided. As for the Navy scholarship, the only difference is that podiatrist do not receive a signing bonus (20K), we get the same monthly stipend, all tuition and required equipment/books are covered. And again, not sure that would change in the future, the Navy at least only offers a few if any scholarships a year, and they are usually snatched up pretty quickly, so there is no need to give more incentive for recruitment. That's just my 2 cents.