Podiatry and family question, is this realistic ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velarey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm 30 years of age, and I am contemplating applying to Podiatry school. I'm engaged and my fiancé and I have discussed a plan to start a family after we marry (which will be next year). So, interim I would take all the pre-requisite classes required, and then apply. My fiancé is an attending in IM here in our city, and moving for him is not an option based on his role in the company he is with now. I plan to shadow a Podiatrist I'm acquainted with and get as much advice from her. I've always been interested in the field of Podiatry and while it is not a "due or die" situation, I'd love the chance to be able to attend school for this training. Is it possible with the potential constraints?.. fiancé is can't move, and want to start a family next year, so I'd say if I did apply it wouldn't be for another 3 years?... Honest thoughts please. It has always been in the back of my mind. I had to step outside of school for a few years due to family problems, but will graduate this fall. GPA is a 3.2. My major was not a science one, so I know I'd have to get a few classes out of the way before applying, which is what I would use this time for. I guess I want to know if what I'm doing is worth it, or is it a crazy agenda based on my current and potential future situation ?..

Members don't see this ad.

Im a big self actualization advocate myself, although nobody is going to be able to predict your success with geographic restrictions. It depends on how many DPM programs are near you and your stats/ luck. Maybe in three years your SO will be able to make the sacrifice/ move.

Hi I'm 30 years of age, and I am contemplating applying to Podiatry school. I'm engaged and my fiancé and I have discussed a plan to start a family after we marry (which will be next year). So, interim I would take all the pre-requisite classes required, and then apply. My fiancé is an attending in IM here in our city, and moving for him is not an option based on his role in the company he is with now. I plan to shadow a Podiatrist I'm acquainted with and get as much advice from her. I've always been interested in the field of Podiatry and while it is not a "due or die" situation, I'd love the chance to be able to attend school for this training. Is it possible with the potential constraints?.. fiancé is can't move, and want to start a family next year, so I'd say if I did apply it wouldn't be for another 3 years?... Honest thoughts please. It has always been in the back of my mind. I had to step outside of school for a few years due to family problems, but will graduate this fall. GPA is a 3.2. My major was not a science one, so I know I'd have to get a few classes out of the way before applying, which is what I would use this time for. I guess I want to know if what I'm doing is worth it, or is it a crazy agenda based on my current and potential future situation ?..
Even though you are non-trad, you might get better traction in the pre-pod forum here. Consider asking a mod to move your thread there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not every city has a podiatry program.

If your fiance is deadset on not moving and your program is out of state, you will need to make a choice:

1) Pick another career
2) Postpone having a family
3) Long distance + postpone having a family
4) Change your fiance's mind about not moving.

Its an ugly conversation that will happen sooner or later.

You will also need to take the necessary pre-reqs and study for/take the MCAT which is at least another 2 potential years before you embark on interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Another thing to consider-
While it is completely possible to start a family while you are in podiatry school, you need to realize that your spouse will have to take care of 90-100% of the things at home so you can focus on school.

This is both a drain on him and you. He needs to decide whether he supports your decision to pursue podiatry school or not. It is a full-time commitment. While there are plenty of folks in our class who are 20, 30, 40+, the question is moot until you figure out if you have his support.

Reactions: 1 user
We have a couple of students who have kids in our program! One of the guys top in our class had a child first year and his wife is pregnant with another. It definitely seems reasonable. I would say about 90% of our classes you can watch at home and aren't required attendance.