Podiatry and traveling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hiphopscorpio31

Halloweenie Hut Jr.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, but I was wondering if podiatry would be something I could pursue even though I love to travel and would even be open to living/ practicing abroad in the future ( I know scope of practice would be different). So, would there be opportunities to travel during schooling and/or while practicing? Would I be able to take time during summers to volunteer abroad for example? It’s hard to find recent information on this topic. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, you will not have enough time off to make such international travels while in school for the four years.
You can do it after you complete residency but during the 4-year Pod curriculum, it is almost impossible to "travel" as there is no allocated time for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, you will not have enough time off to make such international travels while in school for the four years.
You can do it after you complete residency but during the 4-year Pod curriculum, it is almost impossible to "travel" as there is no allocated time for it.
Hey thanks for the reply, so there’s no time for any sort of vacation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the reply, so there’s no time for any sort of vacation?

There is but they are very short. For example, here at Scholl, we got a week off for Thanksgiving and now another 2 weeks off for Christmas. After this break, we get a week off in Feb. There are no breaks after this and the only week off you get is when the term is over around July or so. Year 2 begins in Aug.

You should look at the curriculum for the other schools and see if any of them offer a month or so summer break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, but I was wondering if podiatry would be something I could pursue even though I love to travel and would even be open to living/ practicing abroad in the future ( I know scope of practice would be different). So, would there be opportunities to travel during schooling and/or while practicing? Would I be able to take time during summers to volunteer abroad for example? It’s hard to find recent information on this topic. Thanks!

Yes, as an attending, there are lots of opportunities to do pro bono work in different countries. You can even start a project yourself by saving and/or raising money and gathering equipment. Takes a lot of work but I know quite a few docs that do this every year or every other year. A google search shows a few:

operation footprint, baja project
Mission Work in Nicaragua
Podiatry Overseas Association | Bringing Podiatrists Overseas
The International Extremity Project

I think you should check with the school breaks. At NYCPM for the first year we got 3 weeks off for christmas and another 3 weeks off in may. I think that's plenty of time to travel but you just have to make sure you don't fail a class and have to retest.

Yes, as an attending, there are lots of opportunities to do pro bono work in different countries. You can even start a project yourself by saving and/or raising money and gathering equipment. Takes a lot of work but I know quite a few docs that do this every year or every other year. A google search shows a few:

operation footprint, baja project
Mission Work in Nicaragua
Podiatry Overseas Association | Bringing Podiatrists Overseas
The International Extremity Project
I think there is one by docs from Barry school too