Podiatry in the state compared to other countries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chims

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is a question from an international student wanting to at some point work in the states. I thought I would ask in this forum as it seems you guys are closest to working in the field and might know if there is a place for someone like me in the us health service.

I am studying to be a Podiatrist in N.Z. Over here and in many parts of the world a Podiatrist has quite different job description than in the United States. i.e We are not doctors. I would still like to work in the states at some stage of my career as I have dual nationality and I would ideally like to use my clinical skills even if my title is different i.e podiatry assistant. I don't want to train to be a podiatrist as it is understood in the united states but use the clinical skills. I am wondering if this would be possible in parts of the states?

I have struggled to find specific example of the scope of practice of podiatrists in the united states what surgeries do you perform? In New Zealand our scope of practice involves removing ingrown toenails, obviously nail cutting, gait analysis, prescribing orthotics, removal of corns verukas, managing diabetic limbs. I am still fairly new but this is a broad sweep of what we are involved in.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously? Have you seen New Zealand??? Maybe you and I can trade places.

Seriously? Have you seen New Zealand??? Maybe you and I can trade places.
Me first. I think I can be fine with that job description if I can live there

Members don't see this ad :)
Right? NZ is like Oregon+, or maybe even Alberta+.
Oregon is like Iceland. It was crazy. Well a few of the areas near Reykjavik. Thingvellir national park

Reactions: 1 user
He or she could end up trading this:

Queenstown%2C%20New%20Zealand.jpg

for this:

Reactions: 2 users
It does look like Nelson, doesn’t it? We went through there last summer on our way back from Banff. I’d go again in a heartbeat.

Sorry, I meant Nelson NZ. Pretty sure it's Queenstown though...all of those NZ towns look alike...

Oh. Ha ha, I didn’t even know there was a Nelson, NZ.