Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Podiatry or caribbean?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Temple1st, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Temple1st

Temple1st Member
    7+ Year Member

I was thinking about giving up on Podiatry and applying to AUC and become a MD what do u think? (also listed in Pod forum) Current Pod student.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NURSEDOC

NURSEDOC Junior Member

The fact that you are asking tells me that podiatry just wont get it for you. I am planning to attend AUC myself since they have a good rep and stafford loans. Your chances are also better of transferring to a US school from there. I have done a good bit of research if you have questions. They also have several open houses coming up. I hope this helps and DON'T settle. If you want MD go get it !!!

Erika:love:

4. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How deep are you into pod school (money and training-wise, that is)? AUC will get you there, if you want to go M.D. now. But, the question is why and what is it going to cost you, emotionally, financially, time-wise, etc.? Is it worth it at this point? That's what you need to ask yourself. No one here can really answer that for you.

Also, there are many other Caribbean schools besides AUC, although I've visited St. Maarten and it would be a beautiful place to study medicine, not that that should be ANYONE's primary (or even secondary or tertiary) motivation for going Caribbean.

-Skip

5. kylie

kylie Member
    7+ Year Member

Truly decide what you desire to do in life. It is only then that you will be able make a good decision. Podiatry is very limited. (I was once in Podiatry school.) I am a person of various interests, and I was not satisfied in Pod. school. If you truly want to be a physician, and you have not gained entrance into a US med school, I suggest you inquire about all the carribean schools, and make an informed decision from there.

6. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

The above is excellent general advise, in my opinion--and apart from all the details of given cases, general advise tends to be the best one can give in public Forums, keep in mind.

For more general advise of this nature:

Pods can play a great role and fill a unique nich?, in some peoples' lives and in particular peoples' cases, and, within the broader medical community.

But one needs a very clear vision toward that, and a commensurate passion for it, to be truly operating in...in their own nich?.

Imagine: helping people to walk who formerly could not...of all the wonderful things!

If that is you, and if you think you can distignuish yourself amidst the crowd after educating yourself well about it (inculding the debt to be educated aspect, if applicable), then by all means go for it, and with all your heart.

If not, then perhaps keep looking and questing for what is more fulfilling to you.

It is only in that that you will operate in all your potential--there is an almost strict correlation between what you have a passion for and what you will wind up doing excellently in...which is something, simply put, that no one should lose sight of.

7. njdevil

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Podiatry is a great field. If you like it stick with it. The pay is good and so are the hours in general.

If it is not what you are willing to do for the rest of your life, then reconsider. Going to medical school is a lot of extra pain and a lot more years. The hours won't be good for you for at least SEVEN years. THe expense will be enormous. Also from what I read from this forum the island route has some extra hurdles too. But if you want to be a physician and wiling make the sacrafices...good luck to you...

8. WowMD

WowMD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've seen many people go to their orthopedics for their foot and ankle problems rather than going to a podiatrist.