podiatry school admission with MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungwunn911

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of taking the MCAT.

My initial goal was to go into MD. However, after speaking with and watching a couple of pod's, i'm keeping that as an option as well.

I've been reading that most POD schools, look at DAT scores. Do they look at MCAT as well? Or JUST the mCAT score?

I don't plan to take the DAT, but if need be i guess i'll take it.

thanks,

mike

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT is preferred anywhere. At most pod schools, it's the only admission test that is acceptable. There are a couple schools that will still take DAT or GRE, but they also prefer MCAT.

You'd need to contact your program of interest to find out exactly what they like, but no matter which pod school you're considering, you will never go wrong with MCAT.

thanks.

Average acceptable MCAT score and GPA for pods?

-mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that my class (CPMS 2010) had an average MCAT of 22 or 23 and the GPA was right around 3.4. I know that this year's class had better stats than that, so it looks as though those averages are on the rise. Not sure how other Pod schools fair.

Yup, the 2011 average at DMU was a 23 on the mcat. I want to say the average gpa was around a 3.4 also.

AzPod 2011 gpa was 3.45. I do not know about the mcat. Man, weather must be nice at dmu.

I have some questions about applying to Podiatry School. I have a 3.5 overall GPA and I have a 3.6 GPA science. I have shadowed many Podiatrist in my area. I did a summer medical program in India. I am also doing research. Also I am very involved in college. But the only problem is that I do not have a great MCAT score. I plan on taking it again but I do not feel that I will do well on it.
Also I plan on doing the winter internship at Temple.

So my question is how much emphasis do they put on the MCAT score? And has anyone got in with a low MCAT score.

Thanks.

...So my question is how much emphasis do they put on the MCAT score? And has anyone got in with a low MCAT score...
I really couldn't tell ya. I got in with exactly the opposite (fairly high MCAT and fairly low GPA by pod school standards).

It really depends which school(s) you are considering. Your best bet is always to apply early. If you run a search, you will basically see that some of the pod schools accept almost anyone, and some of them are fairly selective. Your GPA should make you competitive for any school as long as your MCAT is a 20+. Try just searching around in these forums and shadowing podiatrists while you learn. The temple program should give you good exposure.

In the end, regardless of whether you get into a selective or unselective pod program, and regardless of whether you get in by an inch or a mile, it's up to you to read and study hard to learn the material. Yes, stats predict success and are correlated, but it's certainly not error-proof. Some people with great entrance stats are lazy or can't keep pace on the next level, and some people who slacked in undergrad find their flow and excel in grad programs.

I have some questions about applying to Podiatry School. I have a 3.5 overall GPA and I have a 3.6 GPA science. I have shadowed many Podiatrist in my area. I did a summer medical program in India. I am also doing research. Also I am very involved in college. But the only problem is that I do not have a great MCAT score. I plan on taking it again but I do not feel that I will do well on it.
Also I plan on doing the winter internship at Temple.

So my question is how much emphasis do they put on the MCAT score? And has anyone got in with a low MCAT score.

Thanks.

As Feli stated some pod schools are not highly selective while others are. So yes people have been accepted with low MCAT scores.

As for how much emphasis they place on the MCAT? Generally it is very highly weighted b/c it is the equalizing force in admissions. You might have a 4.0 from Busch Light Uni or a 2.0 from [insert Ivy league her], how do the schools compare? Well that is very subjective, but the MCAT is objective. It gives the applicant a score which can be compared to all other applicants. That is why it is so important to have a strong MCAT (and why all schools should only take the MCAT).

Podiatry still seems to be sneaking under the radar, and is one of medicine's big secrets (good for us). So, it's still not real competitive to get into a school yet. Some of the upper tier schools (Barry, OCPM, AZ) are having to up their standards somewhat, but the field's still wide open at most of the schools. You're gonna do fine if you have the drive, good luck!!

Podiatry still seems to be sneaking under the radar, and is one of medicine's big secrets (good for us). So, it's still not real competitive to get into a school yet. Some of the upper tier schools (Barry, OCPM, AZ) are having to up their standards somewhat, but the field's still wide open at most of the schools. You're gonna do fine if you have the drive, good luck!!

:rolleyes: :confused:

Wihle everyone has their favorite schools and there opinions on the upper tier, generally Scholl and DMU have the highest entrance stats. Also, OCPM and Barry are two of the schools that do not require the MCAT so the must not be uping their standards too much.

http://www.dmu.edu/news/index.cfm?NewsID=131