Podiatry school or Post-bac/SMP program for DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could answer my question. I got into a MS program at Lincoln memorial university. It's a year long and if I maintain a 3.0 gpa there I can get into their DO program. However, I would need to retake my MCAT, which is currently a 22. I know I would be taking the newer one, but I wouldn't have to wait a year before going to LMU's DO program. I have also looked into Pod schools and I am thinking about working for a year, applying to pod schools, and starting with pod school in fall 2016. Anyone have any advice on what I should do? I have also gotten into Cornell's 1 yr post bac program and Case Westerns' 2 year MS in medical physiology. I haven't heard much about Cornell's program and Case's program is too long. Has anyone been in a situation similar to this and could provide me with some advice? Anything would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to be a DO or DPM?
I am not sure. I have shadowed docs in both professions. I am not sure how well I can do if I decide to retake the MCAT. Originally, I had wanted to go the DO route and I took the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 20 and second time a 22. I am not sure how I will do if I re-take. I've only known about podiatry for about 6 months and shadowing a pod was a fun experience. Right now, I have two paths in front of me and I am not sure which I should take. I know my stats are good for pod school, but I know LMU will guarantee me an interview if I maintain my GPA. Any advice?? I am stuck :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Friend of mine did the program, but it's not a guarantee into the DO program. They are currently back applying to DPM programs. Just a piece of awareness for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Was 2 years ago.

Date on bottom left corner of post. Wonder what OP ended up doing.

Me thinks the poster ended up do DPM, looking at previous posts.

Reactions: 1 user
Im surprised this thread didn't get more responses, very relevant topic, especially considering DO schools pulled the rug out from under the grade retakers.

For anyone on the internet searching this thread and wanting more opinions/ideas on what to do, I would go the podiatry route unless there is a specific linkage with the program, such as VCOM or LECOM. 90% of the other post baccs and SMPs just arnt worth the risk.

ONE OF US.

Reactions: 1 users