podiatry school's attrition rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted936442

Hello Friends,
I have shadowed a couple of podiatrist and I like the profession however I am scared of the high attrition rate in Nycpm. They have a similar attrition rate to that of the Caribbean. I want to know if the attrition rate is this high in all the 9 schools. I mean I have many friends in MD and DO schools and I have searched up the schools and none of them have such a high attrition rate. I am a hard worker however there are other elements in grad school that maintain a student's good standing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Friends,
I have shadowed a couple of podiatrist and I like the profession however I am scared of the high attrition rate in Nycpm. They have a similar attrition rate to that of the Caribbean. I want to know if the attrition rate is this high in all the 9 schools. I mean I have many friends in MD and DO schools and I have searched up the schools and none of them have such a high attrition rate. I am a hard worker however there are other elements in grad school that maintain a student's good standing.

I am confused where you get your stats from? NYCPM has a maximum class size of 100. Their last class had 98 matriculating and last year they had 96 graduates.
that would be 97.9% graduation rate

Entering stats
www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf#page=71

Graduating stats
https://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/up...by-College-Ethnic-ID-and-Gender-03-2018-1.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Friends,

Either someone is feeding you misleading info or you didn't do your research properly. It's absurd to state that NYCPM attrition rate is similar to those of a Caribbean school. Let me tell what happens at NYCPM if you fail a course:

If you fail (get less than 70 as an overall class grade) 1 course for that term you are allowed to re-test it. Meaning, you take a comprehensive final and whatever you get, as long as it is above 70%, you will get a C in that course and move on. Keep in mind, even if you get a 100 in this re-test exam, the best grade you will get is still a C.

If somehow you fail the re-test, you are either allowed to retake that one class in the following term (if applicable and if that class is offered in the following term) or you are placed in the following graduating class, so you get to move on. Notice, I said if you fail 1 course in a term. If you fail more than 1 course in that term then the chances of re-testing are minimal and is a reason for academic dismissal.

Whatever I have stated here is true (for the most part) for the other Pod programs as well (including Scholl), so check your facts because the programs will give you chances to keep on going and help you with whatever issues you might be facing, but sometimes, few students just do not belong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Friends,
Looks like you go to other forums to ask provocative questions. You went to optometry and asked similar question and went to dentistry forum to ask about their heavy debt.

If you have real questions, you are welcome.

I am not trying to be provocative in the least bit but i did visit Nycpms open house a few months ago and the students told me that over their two years there ten students were dismissed. As for the other forum it’s just sheer curiosity for more secure pathways.

Not sure about New York, but the school I was considering before deciding dental, AZPOD, has 2 people leave their class out of 30 I think last year. 1 decided to go to DDS and the other wanted out of healthcare entirely. So an attrition rate of around 7%.

I’m sure there are reasons for people leaving and not just failing out. From what I’ve seen, generally Pod schools try and keep their students around, even letting people retake years before boards.

I am not trying to be provocative in the least bit but i did visit Nycpms open house a few months ago and the students told me that over their two years there ten students were dismissed. As for the other forum it’s just sheer curiosity for more secure pathways.

Thank you for the helpful reply. As i understand Azpod takes around 30 of the best so that makes sense.

Not sure why people are talking down to this guy. Podiatry schools have historically masked their problems through failing to reveal outcomes, moving students between classes year after year, publishing 6 years graduation rates, making statements like "placement for those seeking residency", etc.

Below are 2 different links from a few different time points - I suppose they deserve applause for moving their graduation rate from 74% to 82%.

http://www.nycpm.edu/outcomes.pdf
New York College of Podiatric Medicine

If you like the field and are a hard worker you'll have no issue with attrition

I am confused where you get your stats from? NYCPM has a maximum class size of 100. Their last class had 98 matriculating and last year they had 96 graduates.

Entering stats

Graduating stats
https://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/up...by-College-Ethnic-ID-and-Gender-03-2018-1.pdf
NYCPM also gets about 10 incoming classmates a year... I know, because I’m here. So that accounts for 10 students who failed out of persued other careers.

NYCPM also gets about 10 incoming classmates a year... I know, because I’m here. So that accounts for 10 students who failed out of persued other careers.
Can you elaborate? That didn’t make much sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a link to a chart that shows recent attrition rates for all 9 Podiatry schools?

Sorry if I missed the link somewhere in the thread, I couldn't quite find it.

Is New York's average GPA and MCAT really 3.4 and 25? Those are very high.

Does anyone have a link to a chart that shows recent attrition rates for all 9 Podiatry schools?

Sorry if I missed the link somewhere in the thread, I couldn't quite find it.

There isnt one that I am aware of. I simply took entering class size from AACPM CIB and graduating class size from AACPM Stats. Links below for both

Reactions: 1 users

PCOM - Georgia DO school even has lower stats than that (they average 498 MCAT).

At least thats what they told my friend at an interview there.

The curriculum at NYCPM is much more difficult than the other schools. At other places a 90 is an A...here its A-; so they do take competitive applicants who will most likely make it out.

Granted, due to the lower # of people applying, I'm sure they took people with lower stats than a 3.4/25, but it's around here.

The 4 year retention rate at NYCPM is pretty low.
The average acceptance stats for NYCPM are that high.
If someone fails a class, their grade must be between 60-69 in order to retest. If you pass the retest, you get a C- in the course.
If you fail more than one class a semester, even if you qualify for retest, the school may dismiss you.
If you are dismissed or at risk of dismissal, you still have to attend a meeting to make your case to return the subsequent year.

It is a pretty rough environment here, but the school DOES prepare you well for boards and they have great clinical exposure.
It is what it is.

I believe they will be applying for it next year. Have to have 50 students to do it. This year we increased from 30 to 40. I think either next year or the year after we will be at 50.

Entering stats

Graduating stats

NYCPM has a January admit which merges with the fall admit at some point in time. The number ends up being much higher than 100.

Podiatry has low standards for acceptance. Almost all schools have below a 500 MCAT score average indicating the average is in the bottom 40% (or lower) than the entire MCAT crowd.

Additionally many come into podiatry, get an MD/DO acceptance for the following year, withdraw and switch over. That happened to 5 individuals in my class when I was a pod student.

Others realize podiatry isnt for them and use their pull out game.

Podiatry has low standards for acceptance. Almost all schools have below a 500 MCAT score average indicating the average is in the bottom 40% (or lower) than the entire MCAT crowd.

Additionally many come into podiatry, get an MD/DO acceptance for the following year, withdraw and switch over. That happened to 5 individuals in my class when I was a pod student.

Others realize podiatry isnt for them and use their pull out game.
That’s good to hear what school are you studying in?

I replied none to wisdom seeker. They asked IDontHaveAnyFeet if they are studying at any school.

Do you consider pod school as medical school? The pod. schools I know absolutely do.

Do you consider pod school as medical school? The pod. schools I know absolutely do.
Yes and no at the same time. In general, it is field of medicine and a college of podiatric medicine. Everyone calls DO students as medical students and not osteopathic students. They go to medical school right? Why dont we say they go to osteopathic school? If they say DO is a medical student or goes to medical school nobody will say anything, but if pod student will say that then people start arguing.

I think it is both. In general, all 3, MD, DO, and DPM are medical schools. If I talk to any educated person especially the one familiar with healthcare and medical professions, I will say that I go to podiatry school. For general public it doesnt really matter. When someone asks me what I do, I say go to med school just for simplicity. Because they are asking for general question. Often, engineering students will only say engineering and not go into details like chemical, mechanical or biomedical engineering.

My pod program is at DO school. Actually, official name of the school is Osteopathic Medical Center. So, I attend college of podiatric medicine at Osteopathic Medical Center. Lol.

Overall, I dont care much what other people say or think. I am studying to practice medicine and take care of my patients. I need to focus on my training.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Yes and no at the same time. In general, it is field of medicine and a college of podiatric medicine. Everyone calls DO students as medical students and not osteopathic students. They go to medical school right? Why dont we say they go to osteopathic school? If they say DO is a medical student or goes to medical school nobody will say anything, but if pod student will say that then people start arguing.

I think it is both. In general, all 3, MD, DO, and DPM are medical schools. If I talk to any educated person especially the one familiar with healthcare and medical professions, I will say that I go to podiatry school. For general public it doesnt really matter. When someone asks me what I do, I say go to med school just for simplicity. Because they are asking for general question. Often, engineering students will only say engineering and not go into details like chemical, mechanical or biomedical engineering.

My pod program is at DO school. Actually, official name of the school is Osteopathic Medical Center. So, I attend college of podiatric medicine at Osteopathic Medical Center. Lol.

Overall, I dont care much what other people say or think. I am studying to practice medicine and take care of my patients. I need to focus on my training.
Same. I know some older foreign MDs who don’t even understand podiatry either or why it’s a separate school. I’d rather say I’m not in school than explain to everyone why podiatry is different than MD/DO. I just say med school unless I know I’m talking to someone who knows their stuff. Lol

Don’t bring that up in the medical forums, they will get triggered lol
Surprisingly most of the MD/DO students that actually know what podiatrists do and the schooling they go through consider them equals and medical students. It’s usually the less informed gunners that want to hog the prestige lol

Reactions: 3 users
Surprisingly most of the MD/DO students that actually know what podiatrists do and the schooling they go through consider them equals and medical students. It’s usually the less informed gunners that want to hog the prestige lol
Very accurate.

Even those that don't know what we do and ask-- are usually appreciative after and get along with us really well.

90-100% of those who do not are usually pre-meds or medical students who would have grown with that ego regardless of what profession they meet.

Prolly in real life, pods are considered equal to med students, especially at the schools with DO and Pods taking the same classes. On SDN, there is a very strong "Pods are not med students" vibe.

I think Pods are med students, and I say go for it. Fix all the feet you can, make America walk again.

Prolly in real life, pods are considered equal to med students, especially at the schools with DO and Pods taking the same classes. On SDN, there is a very strong "Pods are not med students" vibe.

I think Pods are med students, and I say go for it. Fix all the feet you can, make America walk again.
Well SDN is a very, very poor of portrayal of reality I take everything with many grains of salt on here as most should. SDN has been very helpful to me but now since I know what i want in medicine I use it more for entertainment and banter, especially the podiatry forums haha

Status
Not open for further replies.