podiatry vs. chiropractic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many doctors are very biased and misinformed about Chiropractic. As I have been practicing , I heard so many horror chiro stories form my MD buddies.

Here is the deal.

Chiropractic is different from medicine from the "get-go". Medicine differentiates people with disease and people without disease. Medicine's main goal is to get people with disease to be without disease. Whereas this is also true with Chiropractic, Chiropractic differentiates people as people at an optimal nerve function and people not at optimal function. Aside from our reg. "doctor" duties, our main focus is to make sure people express 100% of their nerve function through spinal adjustment (since spinal cord is housed in the spine)

As a chiropractor, we are a Primary care provider (mostly to NMS conditions). But states like Illinois where I hold my license, I have a similar scope with an MD or DO minus prescription and surgery. Although we make differential diagnose different diseases and function as a "doctors", what makes different from other doctors is that we attempt to influence people's health through their nervous system. Chiropractors believe that good nervous system is vital to good health.

One more thing, as chiropractors, we do not cure any diseases. We simply remove patient's nervous system block and let the patient's body to heal itself. Personally, whenever I see a new patient, I tell them that my chiropractic adjustment is not a replacement of his/her current medical service , but a very powerful additive that can increase the body's innate ability to heal itself faster and get better sooner.

You don't agree with this ? that's fine. I guess that's the reason why I am a chiropractor and some of us here are not. Throughout our rough history (although we had our ups and downs) , even after AMA vs. Wilk case, Chiropractic did not perish and still exists because it works. Maybe not to everyone, but to enough populations to make Chiropractic 3rd largest healthcare profession after MD/DOs and dentistry.

Old timer MDs still do have hard time with chiropractors. But as a young doctor like myself gets along with great with other young DOs, MDs, or PTs. They are quite open to Chiropractic ideas. They respect my boundary and I respect theirs. I have good amount of referrals from other healthcare providers esp NMS cases. I often refer my patients to other docs if I find a cyst that needs to be removed, bone cancer, whatever i cannot fix, or if chiropractic care does not work on them.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad.

Many doctors are very biased and misinformed about Chiropractic. As I have been practicing , I heard so many horror chiro stories form my MD buddies.

Here is the deal.

Chiropractic is different from medicine from the "get-go". Medicine differentiates people with disease and people without disease. Medicine's main goal is to get people with disease to be without disease. Whereas this is also true with Chiropractic, Chiropractic differentiates people as people at an optimal nerve function and people not at optimal function. Aside from our reg. "doctor" duties, our main focus is to make sure people express 100% of their nerve function through spinal adjustment (since spinal cord is housed in the spine)

As a chiropractor, we are a Primary care provider (mostly to NMS conditions). But states like Illinois where I hold my license, I have a similar scope with an MD or DO minus prescription and surgery. Although we make differential diagnose different diseases and function as a "doctors", what makes different from other doctors is that we attempt to influence people's health through their nervous system. Chiropractors believe that good nervous system is vital to good health.

One more thing, as chiropractors, we do not cure any diseases. We simply remove patient's nervous system block and let the patient's body to heal itself. Personally, whenever I see a new patient, I tell them that my chiropractic adjustment is not a replacement of his/her current medical service , but a very powerful additive that can increase the body's innate ability to heal itself faster and get better sooner.

You don't agree with this ? that's fine. I guess that's the reason why I am a chiropractor and some of us here are not. Throughout our rough history (although we had our ups and downs) , even after AMA vs. Wilk case, Chiropractic did not perish and still exists because it works. Maybe not to everyone, but to enough populations to make Chiropractic 3rd largest healthcare profession after MD/DOs and dentistry.

Old timer MDs still do have hard time with chiropractors. But as a young doctor like myself gets along with great with other young DOs, MDs, or PTs. They are quite open to Chiropractic ideas. They respect my boundary and I respect theirs. I have good amount of referrals from other healthcare providers esp NMS cases. I often refer my patients to other docs if I find a cyst that needs to be removed, bone cancer, whatever i cannot fix, or if chiropractic care does not work on them.

Hope this helps

The problem is that the whole "blocking nerve function" and "expressing maximum nerve function" is UNSCIENTIFIC HOGWASH.

The problem is that the whole "blocking nerve function" and "expressing maximum nerve function" is UNSCIENTIFIC HOGWASH.

I'll be devil's advocate and mention a herniated disk...for which surgery and medication is often unsuccessful, and at most no better than exercise and physiotherapy

Members don't see this ad :)

I understand. Chiropractic is a deductive science. It is hard to do a double blind study on vertebral subluxation theory. It is hard to quantify what is 100% nerve function or what is 50% nerve function etc. Even amongst chiropractors, this theory has been disputed and has been a hot topic for years. All I can tell you is, I was very skeptical too until I saw "miracle cases" with my own eyes. I saw patient's blood pressure drops with specific adjustment to mid thoracic, I saw an asthmatic attack stop automatically with C6 adjustment, or a patient's with erectile dysfunction being able to have erection with S2 tubercle adjustment. While not every case is "miracle case", they do exist. You don't have to buy it. Once again, you are a MD (DO). It does not matter what you think about chiropractic

Last edited:
Everything has its place...and each field has its limits. Medicine and surgery cannot do what physiotherapy can do, for example. There is a place for manipulative therapy.

This. I've been to a chiropractor before with good results. I got immediate relief for lower back and neck pain. However, there are some chiros out there that try to use manipulation for everything rather than understanding its limits...I've heard of them using manipulation to treat cancer which is just ridiculous. I havent heard of a pod trying to cure lung cancer through the feet.

Anybody remember that Two and a Half Men episode when Alan takes Charlie to the doctors office and keeps telling the doctor that he is a doctor and then she mentions something like "Yeah, last night you kept on saying you are a chiropractor" and then she treats him like complete crap the entire time when he is in the room with Charlie

Doctor: You're a doctor?
Alan: I'm a chiropractor.
Doctor: Then... no

Charlie [having back pain]: Alan, you're a chiropractor... do something.
Alan: Really, you want MY help? Even after you referred to my profession as, oh what was it.. "urban voodoo"?
Charlie: I'm sorry. Now help me.
Alan: Ok, ok... we'll see what we can do. [begins doing voodoo dance]

This may be just a TV show, but this is mostly how the public views chiropractors. I have gone to a chiropractor for my ruptured L5 vertebrae. Yes, the chiropractor was helpful and the physical therapy was great as well, but I still don't consider both of these professions as a doctorate. Both are manipulator careers. I would rather be considered a doctor. If a chiropractor EVER once says to a friend that he is a doctor then you will get laughed out of the room.

This. I've been to a chiropractor before with good results. I got immediate relief for lower back and neck pain. However, there are some chiros out there that try to use manipulation for everything rather than understanding its limits...I've heard of them using manipulation to treat cancer which is just ridiculous. I havent heard of a pod trying to cure lung cancer through the feet.

Every profession has bad apples. Once again, a true chiropractor does not claim to treat anything. We just remove nervous interference to help to body heal itself. If you know the practitioner's name, PM me. I will report him/her to the state board.

Both are manipulator careers. I would rather be considered a doctor. If a chiropractor EVER once says to a friend that he is a doctor then you will get laughed out of the room.

These manipulator careers take more training than you think it does. Just as chiropractic can heal people, in wrong hands, it can severely damage people as well. There is a reason why the government has made a chiropractic degree at a doctoral level.

Once again, my degree says i am a doctor of chiropractic. it is not doctor of podiatric medince, not doctor of dentistry or medicine. It functions in a small scope like optometry. Nonetheless, I am trained to be a PCP to musculoskeletal conditions. I say to my friends that I am a doctor, or even amongst my MD friends, I never got laughed out of the room. I am proud to be a chiropractor. I prefer to be called as a chiropractor than a doctor.

Chiropractic has a bad reputation in the public and I am well aware of that. It is a young profession and it is largely misunderstood by many. But it is slowly changing. We are gaining more acceptance in the medical community and evolving into more mainstremaed profession.

Hope this helps

These manipulator careers take more training than you think it does. Just as chiropractic can heal people, in wrong hands, it can severely damage people as well. There is a reason why the government has made a chiropractic degree at a doctoral level.

Once again, my degree says i am a doctor of chiropractic. it is not doctor of podiatric medince, not doctor of dentistry or medicine. It functions in a small scope like optometry. Nonetheless, I am trained to be a PCP to musculoskeletal conditions. I say to my friends that I am a doctor, or even amongst my MD friends, I never got laughed out of the room. I am proud to be a chiropractor. I prefer to be called as a chiropractor than a doctor.

Chiropractic has a bad reputation in the public and I am well aware of that. It is a young profession and it is largely misunderstood by many. But it is slowly changing. We are gaining more acceptance in the medical community and evolving into more mainstremaed profession.

Hope this helps

I am glad to see some chiro responses here. I have never been to a chiro and haven't asked one about their career. I have actually been curious as to how they would treat a patient.

How would you diagnose the following patient?

A 56-year-old right handed male presents to clinic with right shoulder pain. Pain started about 8 months ago and has been progressive since then. Waxing and waning in intensity. Described as vague, deep achy pain, generally in the posterior part of his shoulder and toward the upper thoracic area. He notes weakness with performing overhead tasks with his arm. States that when he was in High School Football he injured his shoulder, but the trainer had "popped it back in".

You gathered a medical history and administer a physical exam and have the following results: a. Past Medical Hx: Right knee osteoarthritis, Hypertension
b. Past Surgical Hx: Appendix Removal
c. Family Hx: Father died of Colon CA
d. Social Hx: Smoked 1 ppd for 12 years, but quit 20 years ago, social drinker, no drug use
e. Physical exam: i. Inspection: shoulders are level and protracted; slight muscle wasting over the right posterior scapula; no deformities or rash; no step-off at the AC joint. ii. Palpation: No tenderness to palpation over AC joint, acromion, bicipital groove, or spine of scapula iii. ROM (range of motion); extremely decreased range of motion in external (lateral) rotation iv. Electrodiagnostic tests show weakness and decreased recruitment in the infraspinatus muscle.

Pinpoint the problem and suggest what your next step would be and why. Describe muscular compensatory effects you would expect over time if this problem is not corrected.

This is an ACTUAL case. Please shed some light as to what a chiro would do when the patient comes to your office.

Hope this helps

Unfortunately, the tag "Dr" is synonymous with an MD/DO degree...even though PhDs, DDS, DPMs, DPTs, and DCs have every right to call themselves "Dr So and So' as well given their doctoral level degree. So, while no one (or few at least) is disputing a chiro's credentials, it may be misleading to the public to refer to yourself as a 'doctor' without tagging on '...of chiropractic' in a non-obvious setting (outside the clinic, for example). Blame ignorance if you will. Of course, for parity and a complete dissolution of ambiguity, every doctoral level practitioner should refer themselves by Dr of____, but we all know MDs won't agree to that. So...forget about it.

In any case, the last thing you/anyone wants is to get caught being questioned about where you graduated 'medical school' from....being a Dr and all.

While I'm not pro or anti-chiro, the patients who are in for surgery are the ones who chiropractic didn't work for, so of course they say it's a joke.

Sure, but we work on some pretty complex spine cases that a Chiro has 0 right to be "treating" - that said, the chiro's around here also advertise for "flu adjustments" and "Allergy adjustments." I do respect those that tend to act more like PT's - and some of those seem to be great at what they do, but it seems like they don't do as well off as the quacks unfortunately

For the record, I probably should have reworded my first post to seem a little less "anti Chiro" and more "anti-quack"

I'll be devil's advocate and mention a herniated disk...for which surgery and medication is often unsuccessful, and at most no better than exercise and physiotherapy

I don't know if I would fully agree with this but I don't want to take this discussion WAY off course lol

Unfortunately, the tag "Dr" is synonymous with an MD/DO degree...even though PhDs, DDS, DPMs, DPTs, and DCs have every right to call themselves "Dr So and So' as well given their doctoral level degree.

Yes and NO! I am pretty sure DPM is actually one of the THREE medicines considered for doctorate in medicine. At least from the podiatrist I know they state that they are told it is JUST DPM, DO, and MD. When you say Pre-Professional Medical the ONLY three include Allopathic, Osteopathic, and Podiatic.
DO may be the only one equivalent to an MD degree in the USA!
In my mind, the only three PHYSICIANS are if you have an MD, DO, or DPM degree. A dentist or optometrist are NOT technically physicians but just held at a similar standard as a physician.
At least that is what I have been told

And in addition to you saying if it is okay for a Chiropractor to say you are a DOCTOR I say NO!!!!! A dentist and an optometrist can call themselves doctors. If a PA can't call themselves a doctor then nor can a chiropractor!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and NO! I am pretty sure DPM is actually one of the THREE medicines considered for doctorate in medicine. At least from the podiatrist I know they state that they are told it is JUST DPM, DO, and MD. When you say Pre-Professional Medical the ONLY three include Allopathic, Osteopathic, and Podiatic.
In my mind, the only three PHYSICIANS are if you have an MD, DO, or DPM degree. A dentist or optometrist are NOT technically physicians but just held at a similar standard as a physician.

And in addition to you saying if it is okay for a Chiropractor to say you are a DOCTOR I say NO!!!!! A dentist and an optometrist can call themselves doctors. If a PA can't call themselves a doctor then nor can a chiropractor!!!

If a PA holds a doctorate degree, it is completely within their right to request that they be referred to as doctor - same with DPT, DNP, Doctor of Basket Weaving, whatever.

However, in a hospital setting, it is inappropriate for anyone other than an attending to refer to themselves as doctor.

I think it has to be clarified that the terms Physician and Doctor can overlap, but do not mean the same thing, as is the case with a PhD. Try calling a prof "Ted" of "Mr. So and So" and see how he reacts. Likewise, try asking the same prof to seal a wound...see how he reacts.

If a PA holds a doctorate degree, it is completely within their right to request that they be referred to as doctor - same with DPT, DNP, Doctor of Basket Weaving, whatever.

However, in a hospital setting, it is inappropriate for anyone other than an attending to refer to themselves as doctor.

this.

If you can call a principal at a grade school a Doctor because they earned a doctorate of education through an online program in most cases, you can sure call a chiropractor a doctor, but, not a physician. Quite frankly I don't think it is even normal to call a podiatrist a physician, I think that is only reserved for DO/MD, I need to check a source to be sure.

I believe you have to state a podiatric physician and not just a physician by most state laws.

If you can call a principal at a grade school a Doctor because they earned a doctorate of education through an online program in most cases, you can sure call a chiropractor a doctor, but, not a physician. Quite frankly I don't think it is even normal to call a podiatrist a physician, I think that is only reserved for DO/MD, I need to check a source to be sure.

I believe you have to state a podiatric physician and not just a physician by most state laws.

We have to introduce ourselves as magicians...

Why exactly did you bump this thread?

Interesting debate. I have a friend who decided to go chiropractic and another friend who went to podiatry. Both wanted to be dentists and chose different pathways. I like a heathy debate.

Unfortunately, the tag "Dr" is synonymous with an MD/DO degree...even though PhDs, DDS, DPMs, DPTs, and DCs have every right to call themselves "Dr So and So' as well given their doctoral level degree. So, while no one (or few at least) is disputing a chiro's credentials, it may be misleading to the public to refer to yourself as a 'doctor' without tagging on '...of chiropractic' in a non-obvious setting (outside the clinic, for example). Blame ignorance if you will. Of course, for parity and a complete dissolution of ambiguity, every doctoral level practitioner should refer themselves by Dr of____, but we all know MDs won't agree to that. So...forget about it.

In any case, the last thing you/anyone wants is to get caught being questioned about where you graduated 'medical school' from....being a Dr and all.

The tag doctor is not only synonymous to only MD/DO in clinical settings... it is also ok for DPM and Dentists to call themselves doctors in these settings from my experience working in an healthcare.

All the oral surgeons (dentists not MD/DO) where I work are referred as doctors. They also addressed all the DPM as doctors in the OR as well. Everyone else is Joe Smuck. They don't care if you have a PhD, PharmD, DPT etc... In an healthcare (hospital) setting, only these professionals should be called doctors. I guess they do that to prevent confusion.

I'm more than halfway done with podiatry school and currently clerking at hospitals and I just want to let you know that you are wrong. If you said there are three medical degrees and include DPMs as the third, MD/DOs would laugh at you. Nurses would laugh at you. Even I'm laughing at you.

I'm more than halfway done with podiatry school and currently clerking at hospitals and I just want to let you know that you are wrong. If you said there are three medical degrees and include DPMs as the third, MD/DOs would laugh at you. Nurses would laugh at you. Even I'm laughing at you.

Just curious, how do the nurses and MD/DO's react to podiatrist/podiatry students in the hospital setting where you are at?

I agree that the 'three possible degrees' idea is ludacris. It seems very arrogant of to tag podiatry along without other medical doctoral programs.

Just an FYI, many, if not most, oral surgeons hold both DDS and MD degrees, so that was not a great example of dentists calling themselves physicians.

I agree that the 'three possible degrees' idea is ludacris. It seems very arrogant of to tag podiatry along without other medical doctoral programs.

Just an FYI, many, if not most, oral surgeons hold both DDS and MD degrees, so that was not a great example of dentists calling themselves physicians.

...lol

Last edited:

The dentists that I was referring to are older ones. They don't have combined degree. They only have DDS/DMD degree.

Last edited:
Bro, can you imagine the look on their faces when they find out that he's a podiatry student?!

:naughty:

So why did you pick Podiatry over MD/DO with your stellar stats?

Who cares? But onto more important things...

Can I get your autograph some day?

Who cares? But onto more important things...

Can I get your autograph some day?

Sure after you edit out the other GPA threads you forgot to edit. You edited a few out but forgot one :naughty:

Unlike you I'm not trying to hide my past or who I am. Or use a relatively immature self defense mechanism such as "rationalization"

Sure after you edit out the other GPA threads you forgot to edit. You edited a few out but forgot one :naughty:

Unlike you I'm not trying to hide my past or who I am. Or use a relatively immature self defense mechanism such as "rationalization"

Riiiight :rolleyes:

Just curious, how do the nurses and MD/DO's react to podiatrist/podiatry students in the hospital setting where you are at?

In my limited 3rd year hospital experience, I don't feel like I've ever been treated differently from an MD/DO student (at least to my face).

All you can do is work hard, study up, and treat the nurses, docs, staff, etc with respect. This goes for any type of student though ;)

I am a licensed chiropractor who practiced a spine orthopedic surgeons office. I decided that I wanted to practice an integrative medicine,and wanted to have learn surgery related to biomechnics. So I have been in Podiatric School for about 1 yr now.

Choose whatever you believe. Chiropractic is not a voodoo or based on belief system. it is based on science. We still go through 4 years of doctoral level chiropractic school. During this 4 yrs, we are NOT taught religion or foolish dogmas. But we learn anatomy, physiology, radiology, physical diagnose etc. Chiropractic is a rewarding career as just like Medicine or Podiatry. Many of my buddies are doing quite well financially and helping people on daily basis just like any other healthcare providers.

One more thing. DO's spinal manipulation and DC's spinal adjustment are quite different. The theory behind it is quite different, how we approach things are different. How we treat patients are very different. If you are interested in Manipulation and want to learn medicine, go to DO school, if you are interested in spinal adjustment and holistic aspect of health, go to DC school

Where did you go if you don't mind me asking? I was originally going to do chiropractic and was looking at Logan near St Louis. Outstanding campus. Just could not justify 250k in tuition to probably not make even $100k. Not that money was everything but it did play a part.. My uncle is a DC and absolutely loves it! I think it could be a great career.

I didnt know donors could have their account banned.

To date, I've never met any discrimination as a podiatry student at any hospital.

I didnt know donors could have their account banned.

To date, I've never met any discrimination as a podiatry student at any hospital.

O he mad.

Is it that inconceivable that someone would choose Podiatry over MD/DO because they wanted to?

Where did you go if you don't mind me asking? I was originally going to do chiropractic and was looking at Logan near St Louis. Outstanding campus. Just could not justify 250k in tuition to probably not make even $100k. Not that money was everything but it did play a part.. My uncle is a DC and absolutely loves it! I think it could be a great career.

I went to Palmer in Davenport Iowa. As far as income potential goes, it varies greatly for chiropractors. It will be up to a new grad to build a successful practice. Making over $100000 as a chiro is not a hard thing to do. It really isn't. But as you can see even in this forum, many people do not understand what you do. You will always have to educate the public and other healthcare practitioners what chiropractic can do. There is no automatic prestige for chiropractors like orthopedic surgeons or plastic surgeon. But if you breathe, and live chiropractic, it can be the most rewarding career.

They probably assume I'm a medical student, meaning: we are all younger looking, relatively clueless, flustered students wearing short whites coat and scrubs. Most healthcare professionals have bigger concerns than figuring out where I'm from, what school I went to, and what profession I'm in. Its very obvious that I'm a student and thats about all the information they need.

That was my point, nothing more, nothing less.

Since when did a nurse get a Doctorate of Nursing???? A medical PHYSICIAN degree. A nurse is not a physician, they are a nurse. There is a difference. I have taken a medical ethics class taught by a Dr. but he didn't like us calling his "Dr." b/c he believed that the students would misinterpret him as a physician.

There is Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic (DO), Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM), Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) (or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DDM)). I did forget about dentists. They are one. There is

Doctors (DO or MD), Dentists and Podiatrists are the three providers of 'professional attention'

That is what I was going at. Just saying a nurse is not a doctor. I am just using the basic terms and explaining

I am also just stating what I have been told by two other podiatrist here in MI that have mentioned a phrase very similar to the one I state above.

What about Optometrists (OD), Physical Therapists (DPT), and Chiropractors (DC)?

Since when did a nurse get a Doctorate of Nursing???? A medical PHYSICIAN degree. A nurse is not a physician, they are a nurse. There is a difference. I have taken a medical ethics class taught by a Dr. but he didn't like us calling his "Dr." b/c he believed that the students would misinterpret him as a physician.

There is Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic (DO), Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM), Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) (or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DDM)). I did forget about dentists. They are one. There is

Doctors (DO or MD), Dentists and Podiatrists are the three providers of 'professional attention'

That is what I was going at. Just saying a nurse is not a doctor. I am just using the basic terms and explaining

I am also just stating what I have been told by two other podiatrist here in MI that have mentioned a phrase very similar to the one I state above.

Who said nurses were physicians? Please re-read the post the next time you quote someone.

Side note: "Professional attention?" Clinical psychologists are an example of providing professional attention.

Your "basic terms" and thorough explanations are entertaining.

Stahp.

So to sum up this thread. Go be a chiropractor!