1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Podiatry with the opportunity to be MD?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by emdeetwobee, Jul 28, 2001.

1. emdeetwobee

emdeetwobee Member
    7+ Year Member

I haven't any podiatry mail, but one of my close friends received something from a podiatry school in New York that was interesting. She said that there was a special program being offered that will lead to an M.D. degree after getting the degree in podiatry. I don't know if she's going thru with it, but it sounds like a good "backup" for many. She did say that class of 2001 is still open?! Is this true? Does anybody have any info on this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fairy tale... I am afraid... I could be wrong though... But anything can lead to an M.D., you can apply for M.B.A, and after that you can apply for M.D., and ergo, an business program that leads to M.D.. I do know that DO can lead to a allopathic practice if the DO chooses to... not sure about foot doctor...

4. PTjay

PTjay Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was considering podiatry for a while because it seemed like a quick way to get to surgery. i know an excellent podiatrist who is doing quite well and he actually disuaded me. i've spoken with NYCPM and a lot of the stuff they had to say was really sketchy. definitely research this profession before jumping in. www.podiatrybytes.com should help answer some questions.

5. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I heard something like that a year ago. A recruiter from a podiatry school came to our university. The school he was representing is in California (don't remember the name). Anyway, they were working out the details for such a program: after finishing the degree in podiatry in california, students would attend medcial school in some carribean school and get the M.D. degree. according to the recruiter, such a professional with both an DPM and an MD would be very high in demand. i really doubt the facility of getting a residency given the odd DPM/MD degree from a caribean school.

6. emdeetwobee

emdeetwobee Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks guys, I went to my friend I found out that it was an MD degree from IUHS, somewhere at West Indies(?). But the DPM degree is a requisite to this special program.

7. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Podiatry School (DPM) can be a good thing - IF that is what you want.
    If you want to be an MD or a DO apply to those programs instead. If you take a "second" option by going to a DPM program when you really want to be an MD you will probably not be happy later. Being happy with what you are doing is MUCH more important than any letters behind your name.
    :)