Pods working for the Indian Health Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicroPod

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping to get some information from a Podiatrist who is currently working for or who has previously worked for the Indian Health Services.

What is your typical work schedule like? Is there a good mix of surgery and clinic time?

What is your salary? Do you work on a reservation? Do you live on the reservation or in a nearby town?

Any and all information is welcome.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not a DPM, but a student who met a DPM working for IHS at a conference recently.
This person loved it.
Didn't give numbers, but the way it was described to me- salary figure was just under 50th percentile nationally based on years experience. However, the IHS locations are usually 50 miles west of nowhere, so cost of living is lower than most anywhere in the US. This DPM practiced two hours outside of a small city, and can basically live the life of riley. He/She did not live on the reservation.

The most appealing part was that it was, in a way 'socialized medicine'. Salary was lower than private practice, but when the day ended, that was it. No charting, no dealing with insurance carriers, none of the headaches that usually eat away at a DPM or any healthcare professional.

From what I gathered. If you are OK with living in extremely rural areas, you can be filthy-comfortable, and relatively stress free compared to other practice arenas.

Reactions: 1 user
Salary was lower than private practice, but when the day ended, that was it. No charting, no dealing with insurance carriers, none of the headaches that usually eat away at a DPM or any healthcare professional.

No charting?

I did a one month rotation out on a reservation during residency and I have to say I enjoyed treating those patients more than my patients in the city (except for the one time the prison guard left me alone in the room with a 250# felon and my sharp instruments). The natives were more appreciative, more polite, and less blustery.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the replies. I think I might just try calling some Indian Health Hospitals that have Pods and see if they are willing to talk to me. Hopefully I will have the chance to rotate at one of their facilities in the future too.