Podunk Med School: an oxymoron? Med school reputations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BananaSplit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there have been lots of people writing about the importance (or not) of attending a "top" undergrad, I thought it would be appropriate to resurrect a discussion on the importance of med school reputation. While reading through the archives, I've come up with some topics:

Cost: Generally, private schools are considered better than state schools (with some exceptions, of course), does state really cost less, or do the private alumni contributions come through to even out the costs?

Residency/Internship: Is your future better after a "better" med school? With better being a subjective word, let's define it as "Do you have a better chance of getting a position you want by going to a better school?"

Salary: Will you actually get paid more for going to a better school? Does your school even matter at that point since people will be probably be looking at what you did after med school.

Patients: Do you think your patients will care where you went to med school? Is this different for different specialties? eg internist/family doc vs. surgeon/anesthesiologist?

And last question, which is kinda silly and has nothing to do with rep: Would you go to the med school that is your undergrad school's biggest rival?

BananaSplit

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by BananaSplit

Cost: Generally, private schools are considered better than state schools (with some exceptions, of course), does state really cost less, or do the private alumni contributions come through to even out the costs?

No doubt, state schools cost less for in-state residents, very few exceptions here (ie mayo).

Residency/Internship: Is your future better after a "better" med school? With better being a subjective word, let's define it as "Do you have a better chance of getting a position you want by going to a better school?"

repu. may be a bit overrated for the match. really depends what you want to do. a degree like hms can guarantee a nice case load in private practice for something like optho or ent, etc. ;)

Salary: Will you actually get paid more for going to a better school? Does your school even matter at that point since people will be probably be looking at what you did after med school.

not directly; but see above.

Patients: Do you think your patients will care where you went to med school? Is this different for different specialties? eg internist/family doc vs. surgeon/anesthesiologist?
/b]

i think you answered your own question.. you don't have a choice who looks at your films, but you do have a choice who does an otoplasty on you. as for family practice, i'm sure many patients consider your school, but not nearly as much as the pay-first specialities. ;)

SUNY downstate's website has this statistic, average amount of debt from private- around 120K, public-around 75K

based on the above statistic, if I had my choice of NYU, Cornell, Mt Sinai, NY Med College, SUNY Downstate, or SUNY Stony Brook, I would go with either downstate or stony brook, if someone else was footing the bill maybe I would chose the prettiest one instead

board score, LOR's during the clinicals, interviews, and grades will determine more about your residency match that your schools rep

as a PT I know that being a good clinician/people person is to a large degree innate, these are the qualities that will determine the success that you have as a physcian

And last question, which is kinda silly and has nothing to do with rep: Would you go to the med school that is your undergrad school's biggest rival?

BananaSplit [/B][/QUOTE]

If I got accepted? HECK YEAH!!!!!