Pointy stilettos for interview, yes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist32721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I would love to wear pointy 3" stilettos but I am worried whether they are inappropriate..
What do you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wear flats, you'll be doing a ton of walking.

Reactions: 1 user
Would ankle boots be appropriate? Especially for those colder interviews... like Pennsylvania in the fall. (I'm from California, so their "Fall" is our Winter) Help.

With a skirt? Probably not. But if you're wearing slacks? Absolutely.

If you're comfortable walking around in them for a number of hours, and they're not too "provocative", I'd say go for it. There are also lower heels that are pretty comfy if you think you don't want to wear flats, but you think you might not be able to manage the walk in 3 inches. I got these (http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lifestride+parigi+pump?prodId=dsw12prod4890026&productRef=SEARCH), because my higher heels were a bit uncomfortable in the toes

Hey guys!
I would love to wear pointy 3" stilettos but I am worried whether they are inappropriate..
What do you guys recommend?
You should not look too sexy, just to be safe and not to unset some older woman on a committee

I went on an interview and a girl had stilettos on. They got stuck in a grate on the street. There's really no place for shoes like that in a professional interview

Reactions: 3 users
Would ankle boots be appropriate? Especially for those colder interviews... like Pennsylvania in the fall. (I'm from California, so their "Fall" is our Winter) Help.

No, they would not be appropriate and fall in PA could be 95 degrees when you are there.

This is a case of "know your audience". It doesn't matter what YOU think is ok, put yourselves in the eyes of a 50 year old admissions person. Ask your mother maybe : ). Something like the post below is what you should be wearing, nothing too high, but at least a little bit of a heal. Ballet flats are a no as well. Something like this style would be fine with that wider, shorter heal. They would be plenty comfortable for walking all day and will look professional with a pants suit. I'd suggest looking for something with a rubber sole if you can find them. They will be more cushioning and won't be as noisy on hard floors.

images

If you're comfortable walking around in them for a number of hours, and they're not too "provocative", I'd say go for it. There are also lower heels that are pretty comfy if you think you don't want to wear flats, but you think you might not be able to manage the walk in 3 inches. I got these (http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lifestride+parigi+pump?prodId=dsw12prod4890026&productRef=SEARCH), because my higher heels were a bit uncomfortable in the toes

Don't.

Why would you want to do that? You have some cute shoes that you just adore? Go out in them later. The interview is not the time to be fashionable or to stand out in any way because of your wardrobe. You want them to notice your accomplishments and your interpersonal skills. You should be well groomed and dressed professionally, but those are the expected defaults. Otherwise, any attention you draw to what you are wearing only distracts from their opportunity to notice who you are.

Wear them, stilettos are classy