Poland: English Taught Programs - Jagiellonian, Poznan, Lodz, Warsaw, Wroclaw, Gdansk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattoprolol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a US non-traditional pre-medical student: 25yo, BSc Psychology, been out of school for a few years, Paramedic since age 18. I am applying to most polish schools with particular interest in Jagiellonian 4 year program because of clinical rotations in the US.

Any others interested in Poland?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking about applying for the upcoming Fall class after having an unsuccessful application cycle here in the US (1 waitlist, that's it). I'm mostly considering Jag because of the 4 year program and because my cousin is currently doing the 6 year program there (although he's not planning on doing residency in the US, he's from Norway, and probably will have a less stressful time when it comes to landing a residency spot) but he still loves going to school there. I'm just very wary of their match success rate and the amount of extra effort you have to put in to be a successful IMG in the US (ie. score above average on Step 1 to match, etc.)...Have you looked into any of these issues?

I have investigated, I have some good personal connections to some residency programs here in the US so I am a little more comfortable about going abroad. I personally don't want to come back to the US so for me I would probably return and do a US residency with the hopes of going elsewhere in the world to practice. When I interviewed for JAG we discussed match rates and a lot of the data that I found online was incorrect. The people who calculated the publicly published match rates didn't account for students who chose to stay in Poland to do their residency there, they counted those individuals as non-matched students. The match rate was in the 90s for students that actually wanted to get a US res.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have investigated, I have some good personal connections to some residency programs here in the US so I am a little more comfortable about going abroad. I personally don't want to come back to the US so for me I would probably return and do a US residency with the hopes of going elsewhere in the world to practice. When I interviewed for JAG we discussed match rates and a lot of the data that I found online was incorrect. The people who calculated the publicly published match rates didn't account for students who chose to stay in Poland to do their residency there, they counted those individuals as non-matched students. The match rate was in the 90s for students that actually wanted to get a US res.
Thanks for your reply! I think my route will be similar to yours. I have applied and chose to do the CA interview followed by the phone interview. Do you have any additional advice specifically for the interviews? ie. how I may prepare/how long they are/how intense? Thank you!

Also, I understand there are only 40 spaces for the 4 year program - do you have any idea how many people apply for these seats on average?

It was very easy, for me it was a young alumnus and one of the fellowship coordinators from Rochester, NY. Pretty much just a chit chat about my motivations, any hurdles, and any discrepancies or troubles in my previous studies. Talked about my experiences and personal life. Of course a chance for questions. On the whole a very comfortable experience. Yea, there are 40 spots but I'm not sure how many apply annually. There are the ranking lists on the website for previous years and you can calculate where you would've fallen in those lists. Hopefully it's similarly competitive this year because I would imagine that I'd be in business! Best of luck!!!!

As a recent Jag grad, I have to say CharlestonMD is right when the match rates that people spew out on the internet are completely false. Out of my entire class that applied to the States, two ended up matching in Canada, and only 6 people did NOT match into the States out of the pool of students that did apply. There were about 12 students in my class that didn't apply to the States at all last cycle.

So if you put that into numbers, 36 students, 12 of which didn't apply, leaves 24 students that applied to the states. 2 of those students matched in Canada. 6 students out of 22 didn't match anywhere means that the class had a match rate of about 73% this year. And that's not bad if you ask me.

Krakow is an awesome city. If you want to go to med school in Poland, Jag is the way to go, hands down. It was where I was looking at going to school before I decided on the DO route. If it were five years ago, I'd have gone to Jag in a heartbeat.

As a recent Jag grad, I have to say CharlestonMD is right when the match rates that people spew out on the internet are completely false. Out of my entire class that applied to the States, two ended up matching in Canada, and only 6 people did NOT match into the States out of the pool of students that did apply. There were about 12 students in my class that didn't apply to the States at all last cycle.

So if you put that into numbers, 36 students, 12 of which didn't apply, leaves 24 students that applied to the states. 2 of those students matched in Canada. 6 students out of 22 didn't match anywhere means that the class had a match rate of about 73% this year. And that's not bad if you ask me.

What did the students that didn't apply do?

What did the students that didn't apply do?
I assume they decided to take a year off before applying probably to take the USMLE or do an internship in europe like some decide to do.

I assume they decided to take a year off before applying probably to take the USMLE or do an internship in europe like some decide to do.

Does an internship in poland lead to residency in poland? And if it does do these people practice in Poland?

Does an internship in poland lead to residency in poland? And if it does do these people practice in Poland?
This I do not know since I haven't looked into internships to do after medical school. I have just been told by an admissions member that some students decide to stay in Europe for a year (not necessarily only in Poland) to do paid internships.

I am going to be beginning at Jag on September 1st for the 4 year MD, what sort of loans did people use for their studies there. I am a US student so obviously I'd like US federal loans, any other recommendations?

Go to JAG.
Forget the match rates.
This opportunity won't last forever.
And you will have the best time of your life.

Does JAG set up your US clinicals? I've heard that they're affiliated with some california hospitals and they let you do 12 weeks of rotation there.
Also, is 12 weeks really enough for applying to residency? I mean, wouldn't you be at a disadvantage by not doing the full ~80 something weeks of rotation in USA before applying for residency? I'm genuinely curious. I'm a Canadian citizen, planning to return to Canada/US.

Hi guys

I am currently trying to tranfer into the medical University of Lublin.

I heard a lot of stories regarding HMI and Lublin and taking a lot of money. I am not applying though HMI. I am an asian student (bangladesh) cirrently studying in Charles, Faculty in Hradec Kralove (not California approved as well, sad :( ) but unfortunately one of the teacher was absolutely horrible and for him I could not pass Histology. I passed every other subjects with Excellent and Very Good grades ( latin I just passed and Czech was just credit exams). I passed every other credit in Histology and Emrbyology but could not sit the final because of this.

I called the Dean and he seemed nice asked me to send everything and I did. But hearing about the HMI thingy it is making me tremendously sad. I have hopes to work in the US ( i know the hurdles of course) but am really not willing to miss out an year. So i applied as a second year transfer student to the university.

They didnt answer me yet.

So i would like come advice form you guys, I hope someone out there can help me to make the best decision

Your best bet is Poznan and Jagiellonian universities for most seamless transition into USA. Those two are both top ranked in Poland for past 10 years and have strongest connections with USA.
I am biased to Poznan but results speak for them selves. Been top school in Poland last 3 Years and preparation for NBME and Steps is on par with American schools.

Hope that helps.

Is there a chance of transferring from a top university like Jag, HMI, or Poznan to a school back in the states if you are a US citizen? If so, what is the process like? Do you have to repeat years? If you were wait-listed does that increase your chance?

Is there a chance of transferring from a top university like Jag, HMI, or Poznan to a school back in the states if you are a US citizen? If so, what is the process like? Do you have to repeat years? If you were wait-listed does that increase your chance?

Transfer no, but if you want to apply as a fresh candidate it might be possible. It'll be the same criteria as everyone else, you'll still have to be competitive in the ordinary way.

There is no such thing as a "top university", every US MD school knows that these schools have very low entry standards for non-Polish students. A university is no longer top when it is not selective and its students are not "top students".

Can a case for transfer be made if one attended the 4 major Caribbean schools?

Can a case for transfer be made if one attended the 4 major Caribbean schools?

To a U.S. med school from the caribbean? It would be rare. You would need to probably be close to the very top of your class to even entertain doing it, and it would still be difficult.