Poland med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about applying to the med school in Krakow (or a 4 yr, english program somewhere in Poland) since high school. I dont have all of the prerequisites yet because Im not sure about my decision. I would like to stay in Europe after my studies (which I intend on also doing in Europe). It wont necessarily be Poland that I will be staying in for my practice, so I was wondering if the program in Krakow is transferrable to other EU countries (especially Italy and Spain). Does Spain have any 4 yr. prorgams (hopefully English). I speak polish, german, english and learning spanish and a few other languages so place doesnt really matter to me, all I am interested in is a program that will allow me to practice anywhere in Europe, a program that is worth the money and doesnt have too much of a complicated or unnecessary procedure when it comes to applying for internships and so forth (but the latter point is not that important). I am currently finishing an undergraduate degree in Psychology in Canada but would like to pursue medicine once I complete all the prerequisites. So my next question would be about prereqs. If I already have Chemistry and Biology from Uni here, and lets size I decide to do a 6 yr program instead, are the transferrable? Thanks for anyones help!
P.S. Also,what is matching?

Members don't see this ad.

polka said:
Ive been thinking about applying to the med school in Krakow (or a 4 yr, english program somewhere in Poland) since high school. I dont have all of the prerequisites yet because Im not sure about my decision. I would like to stay in Europe after my studies (which I intend on also doing in Europe). It wont necessarily be Poland that I will be staying in for my practice, so I was wondering if the program in Krakow is transferrable to other EU countries (especially Italy and Spain). Does Spain have any 4 yr. prorgams (hopefully English). I speak polish, german, english and learning spanish and a few other languages so place doesnt really matter to me, all I am interested in is a program that will allow me to practice anywhere in Europe, a program that is worth the money and doesnt have too much of a complicated or unnecessary procedure when it comes to applying for internships and so forth (but the latter point is not that important). I am currently finishing an undergraduate degree in Psychology in Canada but would like to pursue medicine once I complete all the prerequisites. So my next question would be about prereqs. If I already have Chemistry and Biology from Uni here, and lets size I decide to do a 6 yr program instead, are the transferrable? Thanks for anyones help!
P.S. Also,what is matching?

The only four year programs in Europe (to my knowledge) are in Great Britain (graduate entry programs), Poland and Bulgaria. I do not believe that there are English language programs in Spain, but perhaps someone will clear that up for us. Alternatively, you can do a search in IMED and see for yourself.

As far as transferring degrees, there are a couple things you should be aware of.

-Four year programs (with the exception of British graduate entry programs) are not automatically and universally recognized in Europe. They have to meet EU article 23 requirements to be accepted. This may mean additional trouble when it comes to licensing.
-Unless you have EU citizenship or residency rights, getting licensed in an EU country adds an additional level of difficulty. Gaining a work permit may well be mission impossible with citizenship/residency rights.

Regarding Spain and Italy, do a search on this forum. Also, there are a number of people who post regarding training in those countries.

Matching is the process by which medical students gain residency placements in the U.S. and Canada.