Police Officer looking to get into Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Batman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently i'm a 23 year old police officer in an inner city and have been for almost two years. My contract is good for three years and once it expires I plan on pursuing a different career. I began my bachelors degree straight out of high school, with a major in Biology. I started off well, but towards the end I began to fail a plethora of different science classes. My work ethic was nonexistent, therefore I decided to take a break and dip my feet in the realm of law enforcement. I wanted them to discipline me and I know i'd be back. So now hear I am. I've got a 3.0 GPA. 2.2 GPA if you average out the retakes and about 65-70 credits under my belt. I still have yet to take Orgo and have about 25-30 credits of upper level science classes to go. With my current job I am allowed tuition reimbursement so I plan on taking advantage of this. I've heard DO schools allow retakes? Where do I go from here.

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools do grade replacement. If you get an F in general chemistry, for example, an A will completely erase the F. DO schools can still see that you got an F but it won't be factored into your overall GPA. MD schools will just average the grades.

Reactions: 1 user
The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

Currently i'm a 23 year old police officer in an inner city and have been for almost two years. My contract is good for three years and once it expires I plan on pursuing a different career. I began my bachelors degree straight out of high school, with a major in Biology. I started off well, but towards the end I began to fail a plethora of different science classes. My work ethic was nonexistent, therefore I decided to take a break and dip my feet in the realm of law enforcement. I wanted them to discipline me and I know i'd be back. So now hear I am. I've got a 3.0 GPA. 2.2 GPA if you average out the retakes and about 65-70 credits under my belt. I still have yet to take Orgo and have about 25-30 credits of upper level science classes to go. With my current job I am allowed tuition reimbursement so I plan on taking advantage of this. I've heard DO schools allow retakes? Where do I go from here.

Reactions: 1 user