Police Reserve-Good enough EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncreativeGenius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Getting out of the military soon and have decided to pursue my lifelong passion of medicine after convincing myself four years in the Marines has made me a much better and mature student. I do also have an interest in law enforcement so I was planning on becoming a reserve police officer while I'm in school (I have about 2 years until I'm planning to start my apps) but recently I've been questioning if it's even worth it. Would it help when it comes to med school admissions?

It seems like it's a lot to put up with as a volunteer position, and although I had planned to do it for personal enjoyment it would be nice if there's a chance it could assist me in my apps. I feel like the next two years of my life has to be dedicated to catching up in regards to ECs/shadowing/research etc as I am a little late in the game.

Also, I'm planning on getting my EMT license, volunteering at a hospital, and shadowing so it won't be my only EC. I'm at the point where if it doesn't seem like something that will look good on my app, I will considering volunteering as an EMT somewhere or something instead, so any insight would be helpful!

(I'm sorry if this post has errors or makes little sense, I just woke up from a nap)

Members don't see this ad.

Ex military will trump volunteering as a cop. EMT won't buy you much either. Honestly, with being a vet, the rest of the EC's you are looking at are all going to pale in comparison to what that status will do for you; focus on grades and mcat, they are the two things that being a veteran will not outshine.

Reactions: 1 user
1- Congrats, fellow Belleau Woodsman, on doing your hitch.
2- Reserve Police is a bull**** EC. There is zero reason to do that unless you're planning to become a cop. Even then there's no reason for it. Do not waste your time with it. @esob is correct in this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Law enforcement-related activities in general would be interesting because they're rare in med school admissions, and could bring a different perspective (~diversity) to a med school class. You'd need to come out with some insightful viewpoints about community strength/weaknesses and about social determinants of health (that's dog-whistle for poverty).

Military vs. law enforcement would be quite different experiences, imho, because of the community aspect.

EMT doesn't score points on a med school app compared with things like nursing assistance or phlebotomy. The latter would more easily get you paid work or volunteering, and much more direct patient care. I would be impressed by an ex-marine with the humility to "work in the mailroom" before starting the CEO track. (EMT is the mailroom too, sort of, but EMT is cookie cutter.)

Honestly I'd be concerned that doing police reserve + EMT would only get you exposed to the most difficult, most intractably problematic US populations, and I'd be concerned that you'd be burned out on the whole service aspect of medicine before you even start. Don't lose the ability to presume innocence.

Best of luck to you.

Wow I totally thought I had replied to this thread. Thank you so much for all the information and responses. I agree that police reserve may be useless and jade my points of view a little too much. I'm considering getting EMT certified, doing volunteer EMT events here and there, and then also doing a hospital volunteer program instead. I think that, plus military, plus shadowing, plus good GPA + MCAT will give me a solid shot, even without reserves.

Wow I totally thought I had replied to this thread. Thank you so much for all the information and responses. I agree that police reserve may be useless and jade my points of view a little too much. I'm considering getting EMT certified, doing volunteer EMT events here and there, and then also doing a hospital volunteer program instead. I think that, plus military, plus shadowing, plus good GPA + MCAT will give me a solid shot, even without reserves.

EMT is a solid route for HC exposure. It will teach you the basics of patient care and patient assessment. You will also learn rudimentary tasks such as assembling IV bags/tubing that seems obvious but can make you look stupid if you don't know how to do it properly. From a paramedic's perspective who is going looking to apply, don't go out of your way to get your medic unless you really desire too. Admissions committees do not typically even know/consider the difference, which is quiet disappointing.

Also do whatever EC volunteering you can. It will certainly help boost you application. Being a Veteran is always a bonus on the application. And of course, thank you for your service! :thumbup: