Polio vaccine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by X, Nov 11, 2002.

1. X

X

Someone a semi-expert on polio vaccine. How's it made, cost, etc, those sort of details....if so, please pm me.
    Or does someone know of any good sources to get all this type of info.

Thanks

X

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CD

CD Senior Member

IPOL manufactured by Pasteur-Merieux Connaught and Orimun manufactured by Lederle Labs have been mostly replaced by Poliovax manufactured by Pasteur Merieux Conaught Labs and polio-E-IPV made by USA. Both of the vaccinations originate from the WRC-5 cell line. MRC-5 cell line orginally came from the lung tissue of a male fetus in the late 1960's by a Dr. Jacobs. These cells grow as a dense monolayer on the inner surface of a culture flask or roller bottles. The growing cells are nourished with growth medium supplemented with serum, glutamine, and an antibiotic. The culture media used in the expanded growth and subsequent maintenance of the MRC-5 cells are EBME and MEME-45. The two culture media contain similar nutrient consitituents with differing concentrations. EBME is used during the expansion of the MRC-5 cells and MEME-45 is a richer medium used for maintenance of the cells during viral infection. Nutrients include sugars, amino acids, vitamins, bulk ions lipids, and trace elements. The non-nutirent component of the media includes phenol red, and sodium bicarbonate as a buffer

These cells are then "harvested" and used in the vaccine.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE: some people object to the the use of human fetal cell lines and object to the polio vaccination for this same reason. (myself included) For this reason my children have not received the vaccination version of polio or the Rubella portion of the MMR.

4. CD

CD Senior Member

p.s. I'm sure you could contact Pasteur Merieux Conaught Labs or USA for price information etc.

5. Tweetie_bird

wow, I had no idea. thanks for sharing!

How much of a risk is it to kids if they don't get the rubella portion of the MMR? I always thought it was required for all kids in high school. :confused:

6. X

X

Tweetie,

I believe there are alternative strains available for that, from rabbit kidney. So it is not from aborted babies and thus for those who oppose abortion, they can use that. I am not sure if it is available in the US (oh hell you can get anything for the right amount of money and persistence).

X

7. CD

CD Senior Member

Tweetie;
    There are no licenced alternatives in the U.S. for the Rubella portion of the MMR, although there is a vaccination available from Japan that comes from monkey kidneys (I think). It is NOT allowed in the U.S. although I think you can get in Great Britain. Rubella usually isn't that serious in children (there are always exceptions). It's primary problem is in pregnant women because an unborn child has a high probability of having complications if the mother contracts Rubella during her pregnancy (first three months are most critical). In fact there is a whole syndrome caused by it. If I remember my numbers correctly, there were 125 cases TOTAL of Rubella in the U.S. in 1998. I would doubt that very many of them occured in pregnant women. It is something that I would want my daughter aware of as she reaches adulthood because she COULD contract it. Personally I HAD Rubella when I was three months old. No one could figure out what I had because it is soooo rare for a child that young to contract it. When I finally broke out in the tale-tale rash they finally figured it out (after a spinal tap, etc. all came back negative). I have NO side effects from the experience, although there are side effects that can occur (as there always is with ANY disease).

As for the requirement issue. YES it is a requirement for admission to public schools in most (if not all) of the states in America (might be a national thing I'm not sure). However, there exists an exemption in most states for religious or moral objections. When I registered my children for kindergarten I asked to sign the religious exemption for that reason. I was told that I had to be given a consult by the school nurse before I could sign it. Basically the consult consisted of making sure that I was aware of the possible risks involved with not having my children vaccinated against Rubella. It took all of 10 minutes.

As a side note, Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine also comes from the WRC-5 cell line and my children have not received that one either.

8. CD

CD Senior Member

Tweetie;
    p.s. Obtaining the mumps and measles portion of the MMR usually can be done by contacting a vaccine center such as those that handle vaccinations for overseas travellers. Mumps and Measles usually isn't carried by private practice doctors because it isn't called for very often. It was special ordered for my children. The cost was $30 total for Mumps and Measles compared to $15 for the MMR. (year 2000) The additional cost was because Mumps and Measles are purchased as separate injections while the MMR is one.