Polish Med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin is a high school senior in the US. He is interested in entering a Polish med school right after graduating from high school in a 6 year program. I am actually attending med school in the US, but I was wondering what people thought of the Polish med schools and how US citizens that go to med school in Poland are received?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Also how are the facilities? Town? Atmosphere? Board pass rates?

I would advise against it. Even the best schools don't compare to the quality of the US med schools. You can try PMing Dr.Kicia. She has more experience with the Polish medical school system. If your cousin is just trying to save 2 years, then tell him he will have a lot less heartache if he just sucks it up and goes to undergrad here and then med school...unless of course he wants to practice in Poland..

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise against it. Even the best schools don't compare to the quality of the US med schools. You can try PMing Dr.Kicia. She has more experience with the Polish medical school system. If your cousin is just trying to save 2 years, then tell him he will have a lot less heartache if he just sucks it up and goes to undergrad here and then med school...unless of course he wants to practice in Poland..

Well he basically wants to save 3 or 4 years. I say 3 or 4 bc the program directly saves you 2 years, but then I and most of my other cousins took an additional 1 to 2 years off before we marticulated into a med school.

His dad is pushing him more than anything else bc 1) he wants him to save 3 to 4 years 2) it is cheaper to go to med schoool in Poland 3) he really wants him to become a doctor; his older brother started premed in the US but then switched, which really made him mad/hurt his feelings and he doesnt want to take the same chance with this son (i know its sneaky but sometimes parents do these things).

My cousin wants to do med school at the moment (may change later?).

I'm currently a student in Krakow (Jagiellonian University). The english program here is great when it comes to certain things and horrible when it comes to others. They will not tell you board pass rates here, even though they know them. Also, you will not always be taught in english here even though it's an english program, so if you can somewhat speak Polish then you will be ok. The way I look at it is that by coming here you only get out of it what you put into it; for instance, last year we had someone match in ortho, neurosurg, peds, int. med., and rehabilitation, although these are all 4 year grads. The 6 year program has had only 1 person get residency in America and he only got categorial surgery because his dad is the chief of forensic medicine at some university in new york(even the school office people will tell you this). I could go on forever about things here so how about some specific questions either here or through a private message and I'll answer them as best as I can. :)