Polite Way to Harass a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaisyB814

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNer's,

Ok so I asked the DO I've been shadowing for a couple months now to write me a recommendation letter around the middle of October...He said he would write it, but naturally we all know how busy doctors are (he's an ob/gyn so his hours are even nuttier). So I gave him another 2 weeks before I asked again and he promised he would write it this past week that he finally had off from work. I'm afraid he probably hasn't gotten around to it and I know most of these schools won't even review the application till they get all the LOR so how could I come about with a nice way of asking/prodding him if he had gotten the letter done? I really don't want to be a pain or give him the wrong impression...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you gave him a resume to work off of already, right? If so, I would ask him if he needs any more info on you to help him write the letter. That should get the ball rolling on the issue. Then mention to him that it helps to send in your application sooner, rather than later, in order to have a better chance at an interview/acceptance. But end the convo with something like 'I'm sure it's hard to find time to do this for me, but I greatly appreciate it.'

Having shadowed a DO this past summer, I realized that he didn't know anything about this process... I mean you can't blame him cause he applied 25 years ago. Mine didn't even realize the MCAT was computerized or that it didn't have a math section anymore :rolleyes:

Hopefully he'll come through!

you can also send him a thank you note for the letter. It'll remind him, but its not you annoying him for it, might even guilt him into writing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah - I gave him a copy of my personal statement - but I've also already discussed other medical work with some other physicians that he happened to know so he knows he's not the first doctor I've worked with.

I even fibbed a bit and mentioned that a school had already called asking me for my DO letter and he actually expressed how he would get it done as quickly as possible for me - so he definitely knows that I need it quickly. He graduated from school fairly recently (within the last 10 years), but I think I may be the first student he's ever had shadow him.

Hey SDNer's,

Ok so I asked the DO I've been shadowing for a couple months now to write me a recommendation letter around the middle of October...He said he would write it, but naturally we all know how busy doctors are (he's an ob/gyn so his hours are even nuttier). So I gave him another 2 weeks before I asked again and he promised he would write it this past week that he finally had off from work. I'm afraid he probably hasn't gotten around to it and I know most of these schools won't even review the application till they get all the LOR so how could I come about with a nice way of asking/prodding him if he had gotten the letter done? I really don't want to be a pain or give him the wrong impression...

I would recommend tailing him as he goes about his daily business. Be discrete enough so that you aren't obvious, but visible enough so that he knows you are there. Blacked out SUVs are great for this. Also remember to wear dark glasses. With those on he'll realize that he knows you from somewhere, but won't be able to pinpoint who you are. Other possibilities are making creepy phone calls where you just hang up without saying anything, or dressing up as a pregnant woman and showing up where he works. Act like its just a coincidence that you saw him there. Seeing you will remind him. This last tactic would be especially effective if you are, in fact, a pregnant woman.

Last edited:
I would recommend tailing him as he goes about his daily business. Be discrete enough so that you aren't obvious, but visible enough so that he knows you are there. Blacked out SUVs are great for this. Also remember to wear dark glasses. With those on he'll realize that he knows you from somewhere, but won't be able to pinpoint who you are. Other possibilities are making creepy phone calls where you just hang up without saying anything, or dressing up as a pregnant woman and showing up where he works. Act like its just a coincidence that you saw him there. Seeing you will remind him. This last tactic would be especially effective if you are, in fact, a pregnant woman.

lmaoo!! this one wins

Nah man, those might not work.... the most direct and effective way is if you get a gun, i think a big gun would work better in this case, and then bring it to his office and tell him that you need the letter today or else he might have to see the trigger-happy side of you

Be honest about it! Tell him you have a higher chance of getting in if you submit everything stat! Offer to write the letter yourself and have him sign it if you are desperate enough. take a copy of your PS and give him that. He should understand the process and how stressfull it is.

I sent a basket of baked goods to the office as a "thank you"-- the nurses and staff guilted him into writing it that afternoon. :D

I sent a basket of baked goods to the office as a "thank you"-- the nurses and staff guilted him into writing it that afternoon. :D

Ooh! Good idea! *makes mental note* I'll have to whip that one out if I end up having a lagging LOR come February.

honestly i would recommend just telling him the truth. Just go up to him when hes "relatively" not busy and tell him your situation, especially the fact that the sooner you get the letter in the higher chances you have. Then just top it off by telling him you wouldn't resort to bothering him like that unless you really had to, he's a doctor he will understand

Send letters to him in hard-copy form and include everything you have previously given him....CVs, previous letters about procedures for submitting the LOR...EVERYTHING. Then include a pre addressed envelope.

Goodluck, I had this same awful problem. I asked for a letter in January and he didn't submit it until June. Your the last priority for him, sorry.

If you really need to, find someone else to shadow and get a LOR from. This will double your chances of actually getting it in.