Politely turning down jobs- suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miacomet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am mid career and looking to switch jobs for geographic/family reasons. It's going to be an extensive search and a big change, so I am turning down a few opportunities along the way as I'm really looking for a great fit and finding that takes time and quite a few interviews.

Any suggestions on how to politely turn down jobs? I hate closing doors/burning bridges. Of note, these are all employed positions if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tell them what you are looking for and they might be able to adjust their offers based on the reason you give them. If they insist and you still don’t want the job, offer to think about it some more then the next day email them the same discussion. At that point they’ll see you took time to consider their option and it just wasn’t a good fit. Then become less available and fade from communication- ie stop responding to any of their emails. Keeping things polite is the way to go as you might need to go back to that position in the future. Just remember that some places keep you “locked out for a year after you decline a position after interviewing “

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell them what you are looking for and they might be able to adjust their offers based on the reason you give them. If they insist and you still don’t want the job, offer to think about it some more then the next day email them the same discussion. At that point they’ll see you took time to consider their option and it just wasn’t a good fit. Then become less available and fade from communication- ie stop responding to any of their emails. Keeping things polite is the way to go as you might need to go back to that position in the future. Just remember that some places keep you “locked out for a year after you decline a position after interviewing “

Sounds petty

Reactions: 1 user
And just be aware that no matter how polite you are, some people are just gonna be butthurt at being turned down.

I declined a position at a shop that had wanted me to see 4 an hour plus midlevel staffing. Got straight up accused by the frustrated recruiter of having exploited them for a free trip to that city and never having been interested in the job in the first place.

Super uncomfortable phone call.

And just be aware that no matter how polite you are, some people are just gonna be butthurt at being turned down.

I declined a position at a shop that had wanted me to see 4 an hour plus midlevel staffing. Got straight up accused by the frustrated recruiter of having exploited them for a free trip to that city and never having been interested in the job in the first place.

Super uncomfortable phone call.
4 an hour? They better all be ESI 6 work note requests.

NEW GRADS: Never take a job like this.

Reactions: 1 users
Be polite and know that you yourself may end up at this other shop in due time. This is why the shop itself should make sure to be polite to you too.

Also, make sure to leave all your gigs on good terms. I ended up working for a hospital that I thought I'd never return to, and I was so glad that I left on good terms.

Whatever you're upset about--it's not worth it to burn bridges.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess I was looking more for a script as to what exactly to say to a job in order not to burn bridges and to keep doors open. Any thoughts/ideas?

Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess I was looking more for a script as to what exactly to say to a job in order not to burn bridges and to keep doors open. Any thoughts/ideas?

As mentioned above, being honest is paramount - get caught in a lie and you're forever tainted.

Secondly, be professional, which means prompt. People can tell when you're stringing them along.

Beyond that, here's a rough script suggestion: "Thank you for offering me this position. I very much appreciate your taking time to discuss it with me. At this point, this is not the right fit for me, and I wanted to let you know so that you could continue your search for the right candidate. I look forward to future opportunities for us to work together." (TM - WilcoWorld 2018)

Reactions: 4 users
Love it! Agreed that stringing people along is the worst.

Love it! Agreed that stringing people along is the worst.
Agreed. I think that this:
is a great tip on what NOT to do. Why are you stringing these people along? Just say no, give your reason and be done with it. Don't offer to think about it if you have no intention of doing so. It's dishonest, it gives them a false sense of hope, it wastes their time and then when you ultimately say no (which you knew you were going to do anyway) they think they still have a chance if they wiggle a bit and they keep trying to chase you down which yet again wastes more of both your and their time. Dragging it out and then ghosting them is literally one of the least professional approaches I can think of.

It's not you. It's me...

Reactions: 4 users
Well the intention isn’t to string them along but rather to see if they can sweeten the deal. If the difference is something they can match, why not give them a chance. I consider it negotiating. Now if you just don’t want the job, then just tell them so politely. I tend to take my time with all deals. I’d rather fully evaluate an offer and go back and forth than go on more interviews unless I know the place is just never going to be good enough for me.