Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Political activities in AMCAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NashvilleWill14, Jul 23, 2006.

1. NashvilleWill14

NashvilleWill14 Junior Member

I was wondering what you all thought of putting a political activity in the AMCAS activity list.

It's not anything extreme, I just served as an officer in the college dems for a year, and wasn't sure if that would invoke some sort of bias against me (consciously or unconsciously). I know adcoms are sometimes a pretty conservative bunch.

It's not central to my application, and the experience didn't really change me a whole lot as a person -- it is going under a "misc. activities" heading if it makes it in. Should I mention it or not?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mvenus929

Physician

Attending Physician
    And on a somewhat unrelated note, just cause I don't like to start new threads for simple questions that could be answered other places...

I help run a special interest message board (with absolutely nothing to do with medicine, for the record). I have been active in it for over three years, most of that time as one of the top people on the site. Think that's a good thing to put as an EC?

4. TomWestmanRules

TomWestmanRules MD Supplicant

Pre-Medical
    Oh right. Because academia has quite a reputation of being such staunch Bush-supporters.

Just turn your Personal Statement into an endorsement for Al Gore's movie about melting icebergs and Yuppies driving around in SUV's and I'm sure you'll be a shoe-in somewhere.

5. NashvilleWill14

Good advice... thanks.

6. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    I'd feel okay about putting down a political activity in the activity section. If it's anything non-extremist (e.g., leave out NAMBLA), I think it would be met with positively. I'm personally liberal, but if I saw that someone was active in college Republicans, it wouldn't turn me off. I'd be happy the person was politically active instead of apathetic, which is more the norm.

I'd also hesitate to put political activities in my personal statement. Politics as a major focus for going in to medicine may not be met with quite so positively.

7. MiesVanDerMom

MiesVanDerMom D.o. or Die

Resident [Any Field]
    i was involved in a lot of political stuff (group trying to get student dining hall workers unionized, Mothers Opposing Bush, riot grrl feminist stuff, etc.) and I put it down. Truth is, if the school is that conservative I wouldnt make it past the interview anyway. And I tied it into my desire to be a doctor because I want to go into rural medicine and research the effects of coal power plant emissions (causing autism and developmental delays). You've gotta sell yourself to adcoms so erasing everything you think someone might possily find offensive seems counter-productive to me. Just my 2 cents...

8. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Great advice. Worse than contraversial is bland.

9. Rafa

Rafa headbutts like zidane

Pre-Medical
    Exactly. If an adcom wants a series of bland and brainless pre-med zombies, s/he can rent Dawn of the Dead and call it a day. But if you want to stand out, standing up for things you believe in will put you leaps and bounds ahead of the pencil-pushers.

10. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I was an officer in a College political group as well, even actively participated as a volunteer in a Senate campaign. I did not include it though becuase I joined the group at the beginning of college and by the end, I adopted the completely opposite political viewpoint (now switched to the other party).

11. NashvilleWill14

Great, thank you all for the advice... guess it's going on the app.