Political Affiliations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools really care about what political associations you support or what causes you support?

If a school knew that you were Anti-Israeli, would that hurt you? I wrote a few political papers denouncing the legitimacy of Israel, and rallying support for Hamas and Hezbollah, I don't know what the professors did with them though. Could that really bite me?

Members don't see this ad.

I bet it could. U never know.

Last edited:
why would u do such a thing 1) u knew it would hurt your professional career & 2) ever heard of religious tolerance???

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think it would hurt u unless u asked those profs for letters and they mentioned it.

boycott DONT MESS WITH THE ZOHAN!!

I'm not trying to sound rude when I say this, but I wouldn't overvalue your papers. The idea of questioning the legitimacy of Israel, and those defending the state of Israel is not a new view on either side of the debate. Unless your paper was unduly inflammatory or lacked proper objectivism, there is no reason for your professor to mention them in any special context. And if you're not flamboyant about your views or actively aggressive towards the situation in the Middle East, then there's no real reason that the topic should come up.

--Garfield3d

why would u do such a thing 1) u knew it would hurt your professional career & 2) ever heard of religious tolerance???

I am tolerant towards religion, I have plenty of Jewish friends, and none of them are Zionists. I don't have a problem with a "Jewish Homeland", but I have a problem with a "Jewish State" that treats non-Jews as 2nd class citizens, and practices apartheid.

I imagine most adcoms are impartial to political affiliations, or at least they should be. I doubt that your professors would put those papers on your permanent record or file.

I doubt it would affect your admission to a professional program such as Pharmacy. But, attempting to rally suport for a terrorist orginazation may lead to unwanted attention from Home Land Security.

If every kid were penalized for the drivel they write in high school, nobody would every get into college (or grad school). I doubt your obscure, unpublished papers will affect your life in any way (except to give you a guilty conscience, obviously).

I doubt it would affect your admission to a professional program such as Pharmacy. But, attempting to rally suport for a terrorist orginazation may lead to unwanted attention from Home Land Security.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Post of the year.

I am tolerant towards religion, I have plenty of Jewish friends, and none of them are Zionists. I don't have a problem with a "Jewish Homeland", but I have a problem with a "Jewish State" that treats non-Jews as 2nd class citizens, and practices apartheid.

I would be extremely careful simply because a lot of people are completely clueless about this subject and equate political Anti-Israeli views with being anti-semitic or religiously intolerant. With that being said,as long as you don't advertise your views on this subject and put it into your application I think you should be fine.

Last edited:
Do schools really care about what political associations you support or what causes you support?
That depends. If your last name happens to be Bush, I'd probably not recommend anywhere near the Bay Area... ;)

That depends. If your last name happens to be Bush, I'd probably not recommend anywhere near the Bay Area... ;)

Hahahaha, this is hilarious. I remember during last election there was a guy on 28 bus in SF who wore a pin: " I voted for bush",I swear almost everyone was staring at him and giving him" the evil eye." I heard a lot of people whispering to themselves stuff like who does that jerk think he is.

Hahahaha, this is hilarious. I remember during last election there was a guy on 28 bus in SF who wore a pin: " I voted for bush",I swear almost everyone was staring at him and giving him" the evil eye." I heard a lot of people whispering to themselves stuff like who does that jerk think he is.
hahaha, that's funny cheburashka.

Sparda, we all have our 1st amendment rights. I think it'd be pretty unprofessional if an ad-comm judged your merits, otherwise. I'm sure they don't do random background checks, but be mindful and respective of other's feelings should an issue present itself in the future. Luck.

Last edited:

..he thinks he is a genius like bush! :smuggrin:

The schools will probably not even know you wrote the paper. It is not as if you are some famous writer or researcher

The schools will probably not even know you wrote the paper. It is not as if you are some famous writer or researcher

Unless he has a "record" because of that somewhere in the govt which might pop up... :smuggrin:

If a school knew that you were Anti-Israeli, would that hurt you? I wrote a few political papers denouncing the legitimacy of Israel, and rallying support for Hamas and Hezbollah, I don't know what the professors did with them though. Could that really bite me?

Must have been a long time ago... I can't believe you could get away with that easily these days.. :scared: