Political Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomato123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a student that will be starting my first year of Psychology Ph.D. this fall (yay!) and I asked a few months ago regarding career options and what not, and I still looking at options for where I want to focus my research and career direction. Something that crossed my mind recently was the idea of doing going into the realm of psychology and politics, and I was wondering if there is even a field or specialization that involves the integration of psychology and politics (I don't want to run for office, but maybe become a consultant or researcher?) And would this be something that wouldn't work if I don't have a formal education or background in political science? Or is this area more suited for people primarily studying political science rather than psychology? I have no idea what's out there so any feedback or information would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really cant help you here. There are no formal specializations or tracks in a political psych as far as I am aware. Ph.D's with specialty areas in law or joint Ph.D./JD degrees work in a various non clincial roles and can serve as consultants to court systems, attorneys, etc. It seems to me that social psychologists would actually be the best equipped to deal with social influence forces that shape the outcome of campaigns and politicians however. Lets see if any one else can weigh in.

Hello there,
You might want to check out Widener University's dual Psy.D/J.D program and try getting in touch with one of the professors. FYI, they also have a joint Psy.D/M.A. Criminal Justice program as well as a Psy.D/M.A. Public Administration program. I think there's a fair chance that someone there could help you out. Godspeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of programs have the combined PhD/JD, I know mine does. I think the PhD is usually in social though; you really wouldn't want to take all the required courses for a clinical/counseling degree and then have to do your law courses on top of that (and practicums), although it's certainly possible.

Plus, if you go to a uni with a PhD psych program, your tuition waiver can cover your JD courses (since those would usually just be filled with research credits anyway).

We had a PhD/JD guy at my grad school who just recently left his position here for some MAJOR bank at another Research 1.

I agree with the Social Psych route. I think what is tricky is that the best political consultants come with a track record in campaign management *AND* the pedigree....so you'd have to have a good amount of campaign experience to even be considered, regardless of training.