1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Political science major

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Cofo, May 16, 2008.

1. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If my major was political science or general business, would that look bad to an adcom? Which one of these majors would look the best to adcoms?

2. DentAZ

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was accepted with a music/biology degree. I don't think it matters too much. I think the business would better help you with you business later in the future. What will the polysci do for you should you become a dentist? Not much.

3. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I majored in economics a while ago. I think nonscience majors have an advantage. Schools may consider them as a breath of fresh air after dealing with a bunch of science majors.

4. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As long as you show you can do your science classes, your ok.

5. ak47

ak47 flossy flossy
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    it doesn't matter. 4, 5, 6 whatever years from now when you're a dentist...who's really going to care what you majored in as an undergrad? do what you enjoy and maybe it'll make you stick out when you apply! good luck

6. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=493916

There is no support for this claim in the available statistical data.

7. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Sorry I mistyped. What I meant to say is that nonscience majors can be a breath of fresh air in an applicant pool packed with science majors especially biological science majors. Imagine having to sift through a pile of bio, microbio, molecular bio majors. It could be a nice change for the admins. It may help even if its minute help.

8. Hugh Mannity

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I disagree. I think they don't really care as long as you have done well in high level bio/chem courses. Having a non-science degree and only taking minimal prereq's and no upper divisions above the requirements will not be good, even with a "breath of fresh air." If you have taken high level bio's and have a liberal education, then it is good, but the same can be said for those with science majors with liberal courses. It's all about variety and moderation. Any one-dimensional applicant is not at strong as a well-rounded one obviously.