Political science major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my major was political science or general business, would that look bad to an adcom? Which one of these majors would look the best to adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted with a music/biology degree. I don't think it matters too much. I think the business would better help you with you business later in the future. What will the polysci do for you should you become a dentist? Not much.

I majored in economics a while ago. I think nonscience majors have an advantage. Schools may consider them as a breath of fresh air after dealing with a bunch of science majors.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you show you can do your science classes, your ok.

it doesn't matter. 4, 5, 6 whatever years from now when you're a dentist...who's really going to care what you majored in as an undergrad? do what you enjoy and maybe it'll make you stick out when you apply! good luck

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=493916

There is no support for this claim in the available statistical data.

Sorry I mistyped. What I meant to say is that nonscience majors can be a breath of fresh air in an applicant pool packed with science majors especially biological science majors. Imagine having to sift through a pile of bio, microbio, molecular bio majors. It could be a nice change for the admins. It may help even if its minute help.

Sorry I mistyped. What I meant to say is that nonscience majors can be a breath of fresh air in an applicant pool packed with science majors especially biological science majors. Imagine having to sift through a pile of bio, microbio, molecular bio majors. It could be a nice change for the admins. It may help even if its minute help.

I disagree. I think they don't really care as long as you have done well in high level bio/chem courses. Having a non-science degree and only taking minimal prereq's and no upper divisions above the requirements will not be good, even with a "breath of fresh air." If you have taken high level bio's and have a liberal education, then it is good, but the same can be said for those with science majors with liberal courses. It's all about variety and moderation. Any one-dimensional applicant is not at strong as a well-rounded one obviously.