Politics and medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brontehardyeliot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys thought about mentioning involvement with the local chapter of your political party as an extracurricular on med school applications. Is it just inviting combative interviews? I know there's the potential for any interview to become difficult if certain social and political topics come up and the interviewer and interviewee strongly disagree. If controversial issues did come up, I'd say what I believed, of course. What else can you do? Still, I'm wondering if giving a school your political affiliation pre interview is just asking for trouble. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'd say of course it's asking for trouble. But if you were VERY involved, and not just casually involved, it might be good to mention, if you had a leadership role.

There are ways of emphasizing less controversial areas. For example, if your group made an effort to register people to vote, that can be painted in a very non-partisan light, which is less likely to offend. And if your group was concerned with particular political issues related to medicine, that might be something worth reporting.

But all in all, it might be a serious land mine. It's your choice.

It's similar to the religion thing. I would advise against going into huge detail on either one in a personal statement, but as an extra-curricular, it's not too bad. If it comes up during the interview, just handle it like everyone on SDN does when a controversial topic comes up ( :rolleyes: ), speak clearly and calmly state your opinion. It's best if you know both sides of the issue, it'd be admirable even if you two disagree.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't do it!!!!!!!!!! that is "application suicide"

Involvement in politics, especially if you devote a significant amount of your time to the local chapter of your party, is an admirable thing and something I would definitely want to know if I were on the admission committee. It's always nice to know people who dare to work for their strong beliefs regardless of how controversial those beliefs might be. Of course you should show your open-mindedness and your willingness to listen to all sides, but it's wonderful to have intelligent and principled applicants who have the guts to take sides and the dedication to involve in politics, which is a great form of public service. Go for it!

It was one of my big EC's, so I put it on there. I rose to a pretty high rank (national executive member, provincial youth president) in the youth wing of one of the Canadian political parties before I stepped down last year to focus on MCATs/admissions. But I usually had one LoR to each school from somebody I worked with in politics.

I don't think you should emphasize the opinions the party might support, but rather the experience you gained and the fact that it illustrates a lot of leadership abilities.

Now if i'm a student interviewer next year and some cat walks in with tons of Republican activities...i'm afraid i'll have to tear him a new one :wink: J/K I wouldn't mention it if i was you....just cuz. --Trek

All of my activities were with a centre-right party in Canada. Mind you, centre-right in Canada means pro-choice, pro gun control, and in favor of socialized medicine. :)

I still think that if it's an important EC, and as long as you're not on either extreme of the spectrum (a fascist or a Communist or something), you should include it.

i guess i'm just gonna have to disagree with you guys.... if you happen to meet up with an adcomm or interviewer that does not like your political views, this might affect your application negatively (whether they realize that they are doing it or not -- some people might be great enuf to respect you for whatever opinions you might have, but not all will; and some do it subconsciously without even realizing it)

put it this way, i wouldn't talk about being president of your local republican party chapter at ucsf